Oil Change thougths

Greg Rice

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Thank you for chiming in here Greg. At the risk of this devolving in to an "Oil Thread", can I ask what you used for oil and filters on the RT and GSA? I've requested 2 kits from Blackstone, and was thinking about sending in a sample here as a baseline before stretching the intervals. For that matter I would be curious to see your report from Blackstone if you wouldn't mind sharing it.

--Tom
I use Liqui Moly 20076 Motorbike 4T Synthetic 5W-40 Race Engine Oil. It used to be what BMW recommended until Shell started making oil branded for BMW.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D91Q1DM

Greg Rice

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Thank you for chiming in here Greg. At the risk of this devolving in to an "Oil Thread", can I ask what you used for oil and filters on the RT and GSA? I've requested 2 kits from Blackstone, and was thinking about sending in a sample here as a baseline before stretching the intervals. For that matter I would be curious to see your report from Blackstone if you wouldn't mind sharing it.

--Tom
I am attaching one of my Blackstone reports in PDF.

Attachments

DrNeo

Premier Member
Just to add another data point - Blackstone has told me several times (link to reports here) that I can easily go over 10k miles between changes on my 2007 R1200RT. The bike now has about 120k miles on it. I use Mobil 1 15w-50 with the Mahle oil filters from BeemerBoneYard.

TomMcD

I'm sure Amsoil is a fine product, but they don't make a 5w-40. Which despite the Mothership's catalog of faults, over sites and arguably capricious behavior, they do still draw a distinction between recommendations (BMW Adventech Oil) and requirements ( 5w-40, JASO MA2). As Amsoil is neither, I'll at least wait until I have a different motorcycle to drink from that particular pitcher of Kool-Aid.

I mean heck, I'm already riding a BMW and deep in iOS ecosystem. Then there's the fact that if I'm going to spend $17 a quart for almost the right oil, I might as well spend $18 a quart for exactly the right oil.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
@Stephen, try getting just an espresso. Not added to anything, just a normal espresso. They get so confused. Sort of like BMW owners using 5w-anything w/o reading the oil weight charts for what temp that thin would be needed at. And lets face it folks, you can't defend anything BMW recommends for lubricant. These are the people that told you with a strait face that the FD was "lifetime sealed" for a few years. They assumed all BMW owners were poseurs hanging out at Starbucks. They were wrong. And still are wrong about soo, soo much.

Oil Viscosity Chart

TomMcD

So you’re saying ambient temperature is the only reason to choose a specific weight of oil?

Odd how Ford and Toyota have been providing vehicles with and specifying 0w-20 even in hot climates for many years.

There’s no point in debating the merits of Motorrad, or the fallout of design decisions made 10 or 15 years ago. Nor insulting a rider who chooses one brand over another. If ultimate reliability was my goal I wouldn’t be riding a motorcycle to begin with. A number of Japanese and Korean companies build highly reliable vehicles, some of which get as good or better fuel mileage.

@Stephen, try getting just an espresso. Not added to anything, just a normal espresso. They get so confused. Sort of like BMW owners using 5w-anything w/o reading the oil weight charts for what temp that thin would be needed at. And lets face it folks, you can't defend anything BMW recommends for lubricant. These are the people that told you with a strait face that the FD was "lifetime sealed" for a few years. They assumed all BMW owners were poseurs hanging out at Starbucks. They were wrong. And still are wrong about soo, soo much.

Oil Viscosity Chart

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I'm just saying the BS factor is high in any discussion about using bike or car manufacturer's branded oil. And for many applications, IMHO, 0W or 5W anything is too thin in the US.