Oil Changes on Longer Rides

How do you guys manage oil change intervals on rides exceeding the recommended oil change interval for your motorcycle? The Archive of Wisdom claims that some riders will extend their oil change interval past 10k miles but doesn't offer much explanation.

I have many 15,000+ mile rides where I did not change the oil.

With the way engines are built and good synthetic oil it is possible to extend the life of oil.

My Gold Wing has a 8,000 mile oil change interval.
Interesting. How far would you push it? Did you base the numbers on any research or did you wing it?

Greg Rice

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I did base my thoughts on oil test done previously by many IBR riders. Their oil test results showed they still had in some cases 80% oil life left even after 11 days in the IBR. I rode all of my IBR's with no oil changes.

I think 20,000 miles would be the limit I would go.

I do change my oil a lot ( earlier than suggested by the owners manual ) and in many cases I change it very early because I am heading out on a big ride. Sometimes I only have 4,000 miles on the oil but change it because I may be riding 5,000 miles.

New motorcycles and synthetic oil allow for much longer oil changes.

Greg Rice

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
By the way, what part of the country are you in and what do you ride. It would be nice to know those things when responding to a question like this.

That's great that the riders tested their oil after the ride. I'm a lot more comfortable with that information.

I'm in the Bay Area riding a Speed Triple. I'm curious about how far I could push beyond the 6000 mile change interval if need be.

Greg Rice

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
That's great that the riders tested their oil after the ride. I'm a lot more comfortable with that information.

I'm in the Bay Area riding a Speed Triple. I'm curious about how far I could push beyond the 6000 mile change interval if need be.
You have some good riding areas there.

I am not as comfortable pushing a speed triple as much as I would a BMW or Honda. I would think 10,000 should not be a problem.

To get a good idea you should send in your oil to Blackstone for testing. It does not cost that much.

https://www.blackstone-labs.com

I think it is around $30 for a stand oil test.

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
There is a HUGE difference between doing 10,000 miles a year at 30 miles at a day and doing 10,000 miles in one week. In the former, one would certainly want to change the oil more often than in the latter.

JAVGuzzi

Premier Member
No reason why you couldn't get an oil change between IBA rides, is there ? About the only time that may be a problem is when doing the IBR.

SteveAikens

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Everyone has their own ideas of how to care for their bikes.

What I can tell you is, I still ride a 2007 BMW RT. That would be the one I rode the IBR on. It now has 140+K on it. When I've done IB rides over the years, if they were longer rides, I changed oil before I started, then when I complete the ride. Never even considered changing oil when I was on the clock - and never will.

Personally, I think folks over-think oil services. Use quality oils and common sense and I doubt you'll ever have any issues.

JACGuzzi - any time you're on the clock - there is a reason not to obsess on an oil change - all my opinion of course.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
I have a three Blackstone reports, two before my 48 State Ride, and one immediately after.

No concerns about oil for a bit over 9000 miles, the report suggested that I could extend to 10000 with no appreciable concerns.

2016 Goldwing.

JAVGuzzi

Premier Member
SNIP >>>

JACGuzzi - any time you're on the clock - there is a reason not to obsess on an oil change - all my opinion of course.
Steve: Please re-read my post. I never said to get an oil change when on the clock. I said "between" rides. The original poster wasn't talking about the IBR, only going longer than recommended.

I went over 7,000 miles PAST my oil change recommendation because the UniCarScanBT + the MotoScan software didn't properly set the service date on my '16 RT. It suddenly hit me midway through a 3,000-mile ride.

Traxx

Premier Member
How do you guys manage oil change intervals on rides exceeding the recommended oil change interval for your motorcycle? The Archive of Wisdom claims that some riders will extend their oil change interval past 10k miles but doesn't offer much explanation.
Hard to say. Depends on riding style, quality of oil and what bike. On and off of WOT is a lot different than a steady highway ride. Interstate speeds on a bike designed for duel sport will eat up some oil.
Getting your oil tested is about the only way to know for sure.

Oil standards have changed since 1975 when my CB550F was manufactured. At that time oil change was every 1500 miles and filter every 3000. With the new oil standards is it safe to push out the oil change intervals? Thinking of doing multiple SS!Ks back to back.

I have a three Blackstone reports, two before my 48 State Ride, and one immediately after.

No concerns about oil for a bit over 9000 miles, the report suggested that I could extend to 10000 with no appreciable concerns.

2016 Goldwing.
What kind of oil are you using?

Ignacio

IBR Finisher
How do you guys manage oil change intervals on rides exceeding the recommended oil change interval for your motorcycle?
I ride more and stress less.

Doing an IBR where I surmise significantly less oil wear occurs (and seemingly backed up by a couple that did oil analyses). I did nothing on three IBRs other than change the oil as soon as I got back home. Riding for long distances where the engine comes up to temp, stays there fairly regularly, and really only cools down once a day or so doesn't seem to count actual miles as big a variable as stop-n-go riding.

The several folks that did the oil analyses seem to back that idea up and make me feel better what I did. Three IBRs and my engine is still reasonably strong at 170K.

Last edited: