Oil in the Coolant

R3Tex

Premier Member
I know there are precious few Tiger riders out there but I figured it's worth a shot. About a week or so ago while checking my 2017 Tiger Explorer XRT before a ride I found oil in the coolant overflow bottle. Anyone ever experienced this? Bike is at the dealer now getting checked out...just looking around to see if anyone else ever had a problem like this.

Marc11

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Generally a sign of a bad head gasket universally for most engines. Wishing you a better outcome.

R3Tex

Premier Member
Thanks for the response. That was my first thought too, but leak down test showed all cylinders perfect. Doubt that would be the case with a blown head gasket...or at least not from my experience.

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Premier Member
I believe (emphasis) that the water and oil pump on the Tiger 1200 are integrated, and that you have a oil/water intercooler.

IF that's the case (again, emphasis), I'd start there. Probably a seal going bad.

R3Tex

Premier Member
The tiger does indeed have a heat exchanger that is somehow integrated into the oil / water pump and I suspect that may be the culprit. I should hear back from the dealer either later today or tomorrow. Bike only has 46k miles on it so somewhat disappointed in the failure.

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Premier Member
Yeah, that's a little strange to have a failure at 5 years and under 50K miles.

Personally, I'd fix it myself rather than take it to a dealer. Seals and gaskets won't be that much money, but they're going to charge you shop rates of a minimum of $100-120/hr with a 2-hour minimum.