OX-34 - Lap of Australia on Highway 1

jeffrey gebler

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I am also curious about his route through Adelaide. From what I can make of rules etc he must go through Adelaide than up the South Eastern Freeway and onto Tailem Bend. I am trying to find a spot to intercept and ride awhile with him. I am thinking about the start of the freeway just outside of Adelaide (M1). Still looking like a fair bit of rain all day Thursday in the Adelaide area.

kwaka

Premier Member
Interesting stuff Jeff, fellow members.

I note from the official IBA link that from Adelaide eastwards one stays on the M1 to Tailem Bend where it turns into the A8 then later at Keith to the A66 before rejoining the A1 at Mt Gambier.

Why wasn't/isn't the B1 taken at Tailem Bend (or Mt Gambier if heading west)?
B1 spills straight into the A1 at Mt Gambier. Both the B1 and A1 mentioned here are named Princes Hwy. I'm assuming that the Princes Hwy was the original Hwy 1.

Also, on the locations named that must be included in the documentation, does one have to have a receipt that states clearly the location e.g. Perth, Sydney or Melbourne or, can it be a suburb?

Back to the OX Ride Machine.
I see that at Esperance he sent an OK SPOT and at that location there are two stores of interest.
1. Powerplant Motorcycles.
2. Repco.

Maybe doing running repairs on that back tank movement and/or issue?

LindsayGT

Interesting stuff Jeff, fellow members.

I note from the official IBA link that from Adelaide eastwards one stays on the M1 to Tailem Bend where it turns into the A8 then later at Keith to the A66 before rejoining the A1 at Mt Gambier.

Why wasn't/isn't the B1 taken at Tailem Bend (or Mt Gambier if heading west)?
B1 spills straight into the A1 at Mt Gambier. Both the B1 and A1 mentioned here are named Princes Hwy. I'm assuming that the Princes Hwy was the original Hwy 1.
There are a couple of errors on the "official" map. You are correct in that the Official Highway 1 runs along the Coorong, B1, to Millicent and then Mt Gambier. Not A66.

The other error is from Manjimup to Albany. The correct route should follow Hwy 1 via Walpole.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highway_1_(Australia)

tj189

Premier Member
I was curious about the route through Sydney as well, does he have to stick with the Prince's hwy coming from the south which wld mean going straight thru the guts of the city and then up the pacific hwy to Wahroonga or is he allowed the by pass rds. What do you think TJ?
A1 was used on the original run down through Wahroonga to the city and keep going south

John negus

Hi all..im setting off to intercept the Ox at Cann River .im planning on getting there mid afternoon and loitering till he gets there with graham. Im getting a motel room so if there is time Ox can have a quick Zzz or two. Ill post the minute i get some sort of ETA..Graham is going to txt me when he has the Ox under his wing..i think the trip through Sydney may be later than earlier with less traffic. I imagine the route would be ..pac.highway to eastern distributor.to harbour tunnell.to lane cove tunnell..artarmom..M1 freeway to home..ill wait at Cann River as long as it takes..cheers and yippee..jn

Farkleit

Premier Member
Hi all.
Just spoke with Ox - a rough night with pea-soup fog, trucks with three trailers barrelling along on parkers only!
Had the planned 'longer' stop at Ravensthorpe, seems to be over his mild illness (which he started with).
Sounds okay, said he'd rather be proud of a 10-day lap than take chances.
Also said he'll be on familiar ground once he turns at Norseman.
Aux tank bouncing around, may remove at Norseman.
Keep watching!
Im going to add 2 extra fixings at the front and use a bit of locktite as well.

BTW - I don't have a Ride Plan, seems there may not have been a specific one, other than keep the Ocean on the right, and keep turning left!!
Having said that, he is/was aware of the necessary diversion in FNQ.

kwaka

Premier Member
I note OX's rested at that lovely, grassed IBA motel at Wudinna (pronounced Woodnuh) complete with undercover cooking and dining facilities and that all important ablution block. It's a personal fav of mine.

We've had non stop rain here since late last night and from the deep, dark grey colour outside, not likely to stop anytime soon. From the weather sites, looks like the wet stuff will be keeping Peter company for a while yet, hope it doesn't dampen his buffer too much.