Panama City To Panama City Ride CHANGE

Greg Rice

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Had to change my plans and now riding to Guatemala, see new post below.

I made a webpage for my ride to Panama City, Panama and back, below is the link. I always like to add some meaning to my LD rides and on this ride I am working with the Red Cross to help raise money for hurricane disaster relief. I am not taking any donations directly and there are links on the webpage directly to the Red Cross.

Last edited:
Followed the link and saw google is estimating 3780 miles, 76 hours of ride time. Seeing that a SS4K is 96 hours, I would suggest to Michael K, that the standard ride time to get the certificate is 91 hours. On second thought because of all the boarder crossings let's make 91 the Gold standard.

-Mark

Greg Rice

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
In case you may be heading south.

Important Nicaragua Land Entry Process - Currently Required

All travelers before visiting Nicaragua by land transportation must notify to the corresponding authorities about their upcoming trip at least 7 business days in advance. All trip details must be listed in the required forms and sent via e-mail to Nicaragua´s Interior Department ( [email protected] with a copy to [email protected] ) and the Embassies of Nicaragua in their respective countries.

The e-mails must attach the following documentation: Entry list to Nicaragua Form

Application form Letter addressed to the Government Department including the following information: number of travelers on the trip, reason for the trip, name and address of the hotel or place of accommodation, list of places to be visited, general information of the driver, vehicle, the name of the border where they intend to enter, etc. If the reason is only to transit through Nicaragua, travelers must and are still expected to provide all the above information to the corresponding authorities.

The e-mail must only contain the 3 requirements mentioned above. In case of not carrying out the previous process, the Nicaraguan authorities can refuse or deny entry to travelers.

It is important to clarify that this process applies only for trips made by land and not for air travel.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Last edited:

Greg Rice

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Greg -

Are you familiar with Horizons Unlimited? I don't think there is a better source of current, local information for the globetrotting set, with plenty of opportunity to communicate directly with riders who have recently been where you are going. If you haven't already done so, check out their Web site at

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/

The Central America/Mexico forum is at

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/central-america-and-mexico/

Ira
Ira,

Thank you. I am on the Hubb forum and you are correct they are a great wealth of information for anyone looking to travel to far away places.

anti-gilky

Premier Member
IBA Member
Greg, I'm sure, you've already considered it but SOLAR chargers have come a long way and may clear up some space for you.
We'll all be watching your successful completion. Vaya con dios, amigo!

Greg Rice

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I have been talking with the US Embassy in Nicaragua and a US citizen from Miami who now lives in Nicaragua and they both say it is not really a good time to be blasting through Nicaragua as the new sanctions the US applied last week have really pissed of the Noriega government. Both the US Embassy and the person living in Nicaragua said that probably nothing would happen but the government has put up a lot more road blocks checking peoples cell phones for anti government information or anything they do not like. I have some of that type of information on my cell phone do to researching my route.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/27/world/americas/nicaragua-us-sanctions.html

I am going to hold off ( but not cancel ) my ride to Panama City for now but I am still going to ride south but only to the Guatemala border and turn around. I am going to start in Fort Lauderdale, Florida on December 26 and ride a few BBG’s to and from Guatemala hoping to get at least one BBG in Mexico.

I am planning on starting my ride December 26 and should be back in around 5 days. My current route is around 3,000 miles each way so a total of 6,000 miles.

moose

Premier Member
Not driving to the final destination seems to be a good choice, however, sorry for both the planning and the purpose of driving. But implementing the run as it seems to be, is both an achievement and a good help to the Red Cross.
Best Regards Dan