Pee Stops

Gatey

Premier Member
IBA Member
Thanks guys but I wanted information from men who have used a catheter while riding. I meant this to be a serious question. I have ridden enough IBA rides to know how to handle things without one. So far I have not received any first person experiences. Therefore I must assume catheters are not worth the trouble. I really do not need advice on such things as stop to walk around, pee when I need to, or how to manage fluids and time. I have 22 certified rides. I just wanted to know if a catheter was anything worth trying in an effort to decrease my time between and at fuel stops therefore giving me a little more time to complete a BB 1500 Gold. I will consider this question closed. Thanks to all of you.
You have 22 certified rides. Ive not looked them up but i suspect your portfolio is divers by now.
You ride formula seems to work so why the diabolical next step?

Jon Kerr

More lost than found
Premier Member
IBR Finisher

Nothing diabolical about it.

Some choose to eat while riding, some don’t
Some elect to use aux fuel cells, some don’t
Some elect to ride at night while others don’t
Some use three GPS units while others do not
And some use catheters while some don’t

It’s all a buffet of choices with pros and cons

The OP is meant to understand those pros and cons. That’s all.

OX-34

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
You have 22 certified rides. Ive not looked them up but i suspect your portfolio is divers by now.
Gatey, think of the bladder decisions like you might think about auxiliary fuel cell decisions hinted at by Jon Kerr. The probelms are the same, even though the fluids flow the opposite direction.

The size of the fuel tank on the bike ridden contributes to your route planning as it can affect the range you can travel before putting your feet on the ground.
The functional size of your bladder contributes to your route planning the same way.

If you have been riding a BMWR1200GSA, its like having a big bladder. You can ride a long way before needing to put your feet on the ground.

Lets say as you age, you can't quite handle the GSA any more. You get a GS, or maybe even a an R1200R. The engine is about the same, but with a smaller tank so you have to stop more often. Like the prostate getting bigger and your bladder getting smaller, you now find yourself stopping nearly twice as much.

Your mates say just stop more often for fuel at a gas station or carry a jerry can and fill up on the side of the road (just like stopping to have a pee behind a tree).

That may be ok on a SS1600K/SS1000M, there is time.

Now suppose after a few years that you get a bike with an even smaller tank. At the same time your bladder may also be getting smaller. In either case a volume limitation is really starting to impact on planning for standard rides if you can't even go 2 hours and a BBG is starting to look nearly impossible. No amount of advice from your mates about where to stop can get around the fact that you need to stop at least a dozen times per day for a fluid exchange.

The "diabolical next step" as you call it, should be very familiar to you personally. No, not the catheter. The auxiliary fuel cell. You make fuel cells for guys that want to be able to ride farther without having to put their feet on the ground. You get a container of some kind, run a tube from it and drill it into the bike's tank. That's exactly what a catheter with a leg bag is.

Now being non-toxic, a dribble of urine along a road won't cause any harm, so most opt to ditch the leg bag. That would be like running the Iron Butt Rally with an aux cell so big you never needed to stop for gas.

I suspect that in the next few decades we'll be discussing how to hook up auxiliary solar panels to our bikes to get farther before stopping to let the sun top up the batteries. Keep an eye out for little puddles next to the eBikes parked on the side of the road.

SteveAikens

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
For those of you that didn't know Morris --- Well, never mind.;)

Personally, I don't "manage pee breaks". I don't avoid coffee and drink as much as I do when I'm not riding. I am a heavy hydration kinda guy. When I have to pee, I do the same thing Ross does - find a place to safely stop, hop off, pee, hop on and be gone. I rarely combine fuel/bio breaks.

Not hydrating enough & trying to hold it too long is a recipe for kidney stones. The time used stopping to pee is generally negligible in most cases. Some of us do get a little extreme when on the clock but there are ways to make the little time back up without pushing the envelope.