Pillion question

Good afternoon,

Even though I just tucked the bike away last week, I'm already planning stuff for next year. My wife has expressed interest in joining me for a SS1000 all within our state (WI). Working on a couple of possible routes, likely a loop or a there-and-back so we can be home for a late dinner.

As far as her tagging with me...what does she need to do to show proof of her as pillion? The end goal is to have her name next to mine upon completion of the challenge.

Happy Halloween, hope everyone is doing well!

Kris H.

bikerbill

IBR Finisher
I and my son did a few rides 2-up starting when he was 10 years old. (SS1000 and SS2000) He was a Mile Eater by age 12. :)

The way we did it was to have two separate Start/End Witness forms (You can do it on the same form too.) and added his to the name as Pillion when sending in the application.

Then go and enjoy the ride.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Good afternoon,
As far as her tagging with me...what does she need to do to show proof of her as pillion? The end goal is to have her name next to mine upon completion of the challenge.

Kris H.
From the IBA Saddle Sore rides page HERE

You may also complete the ride two-up (with one person doing the piloting, the other being a passenger the entire distance - you may not share piloting duties!). In these cases, the Iron Butt Association issues one certificate, with both rider and passenger on it, but we provide two copies of it; one for the rider and one for the passenger. There is NO additional charge for a passenger, however, if they would like a pin or plate frame, you will need to add that in on the fee schedule page.
--------------------
My understanding is that you're just adding her name to the certificate request. There is only one bike, one rider and one pillion. There isn't any documentation added for the pillion. More won't hurt anything, but it's not really showing she was there unless she's in the pictures with your odo and fuel receipt, which would be challenging! If you think about it, you're not sending anything in that proves you were the one riding the bike either. You're just the one sending in the documentation.

Elchiaroscuro

Premier Member
Thanks for the replies Bill and Eric. If all there is to it is to include her on the application then it's easy enough. Sometimes it can be difficult to procure reliable witnesses for the start and end spots, which brought me to this question since I plan on doing the electronic submission. We try to get photos together when we're out and about and I don't see our SS1000 being any different. For hilarity' sake we will try to jam both of our noggins in a picture with the receipt and ODO...I bet those will turn out interesting :)

I try not to overthink a lot of these LD riding questions but I'm also of the thought that it is better to ask and be informed than to not ask and assume. This forum has been nothing short of amazing for helping me with anything I ask about!

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
It's important to remember that if you're doing the paper witness forms, you don't need an odo witness at the exact start and end spots and times. You need them in a reasonable amount of time and distance. I.E. you finish the ride at 2am, get the end receipt from the gas station and ride the two miles home, go to sleep and get your neighbor to witness your odo the next morning. Same with the Start: Get the witness the night before an early start, sleep, get up and head to the gas station and get your start receipt and go. The receipts are your official start and finish times and locations.

If you have a significant distance between the start/end and witness odo, an explanation would be good when you submit. The odo is just a back up number, it has virtually nothing to do with your actual miles on the ride. That is calculated by the mapping software the verification teams use.

On the electronic submission, practice your pictures. It's challenging enough to get the odo and receipt in focus sometimes, never mind faces too. And don't forget to submit to the correct premier member email, not the one listed on the IBA page for general submission.