Piston Diversity

DrNeo

Premier Member
I’m lucky to have 1, 2, and 3 cylinder bikes currently and I’ve talked my father in law into borrowing his 6 cylinder (he’s a dang nice guy!). Obviously I’m missing the 4. For those that have completed this ride, how were you able to find the other bikes that you needed? I looked at rental companies, but many of them change quite a bit for anything over 200 - 300 miles.

Amnon Romano

Premier Member
I looked at rental companies, but many of them change quite a bit for anything over 200 - 300 miles.
When I rent abroad I often run into this problem. And it becomes harder with the years - more and more rental agencies stop the "unlimited miles" programs. Typical additional mile (as stated in the website) could get as high as $0.5!
My solution to the dilemma is to call the agencies and talk to the one in charge. Usually I find an agency that is willing to rent for unlimited miles with a set-price which is not always cheap - but considerately lower than the pay-by-mile alternative.
Good luck!

JAORE

Premier Member
Talk your father-in-law into buying a 4 cyl bike.

Or pull two spark plug wires on the Wing and ride it for another 1000 miles.

Joking aside, if a stock bike is OK for a SS 1000 for you, a purchase might make sense. While you are completing the 1,2,3 and 6 cylinder rides, shop for an older, dependable, bargain 4 cylinder bike.

Bargain (as in a STEAL!) is the key.

Add the 1,000+ miles, clean her up and then sell it. If you can't rent a bike with unlimited miles the buy/ride/sell might actually be cheaper than renting one.

Of course I HATE to sell a car or bike. And I always lose money on a sale..... never mind.