Planning a LD ride (and my first IBA ride)

I am looking for some help on a ride I'm contemplating doing...
I live in Calgary, AB Canada and am tossing around the idea of doing a ride in early October (potential departure date of October 3 and potential return date of Oct 12 or 13) down to Bristol, TN (~3,700kms one-way). I am looking to do an Iron Butt ride on one of the days (SS1000, or in my case the SS1600km), so I set up day 1 as that day...

Day 1.jpg

I am wondering if it's A) smart to even consider a long trip this late in the year (with a possibility of snow or at least rain and low temps in Canada and the northern states) and B) If I should look at doing the iron butt portion when crossing a border due to possible delays.

The whole trip route that Apple Maps gives me is this:

Screenshot 2023-09-04 at 11.25.24.jpg

I obviously have more work to do in terms of mapping out fuel stops and lodging, but I was curious as to the overall routing as I have never traveled to most of these states, so some guidance in terms of things to see/areas to avoid would be helpful. If I was able to do the iron butt ride on the first day, I hypothetically would look to do the trip down in 3 days (day two would be about 7 hours and day 3 being about 10). I suppose I could even look to stretch out the SaddleSore ride into a BunBurner as well....

For hotel stops, I looked at staying in Alexandria, MN on night 1 and somewhere like Hampshire, IL for night 2. Again, guidance would be appreciated as I would like to spend a modest amount of money on accoms (but avoid bed bugs). I can adapt where I stay if there are better areas to do so, but I would need to keep my Iron Butt day to about the same distance.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

igneouss

Premier Member
For an SS1k it looks very doable. keep in mind that at typical highway speeds 1000 miles takes significantly less than 24 hours. minimize your 'stopped' time and you'll finish with hours to spare. Have fun! Stay safe!

rneal55555

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I never preplan fuel or lodging stops, I have a pretty good feel for my range and search for fuel along my route when I'm 50-60 miles or so from empty. I look for exits that have a couple stations and try to make sure I have a backup plan i.e. I'm 50 miles to empty and on the GPS I see stations 15, 33, and 48 miles away. I'm probably stopping at the 33 miles aways stations so if the have no gas no power or are just closed I still have the 48 miles stations in range. Sometimes in the West where they tend to be farther apart and I don't want to stop 40 or 50 miles before the last possible one I will call and verify they are open and in fact have gas so I don't get stranded. I approaching lodging much the same way I'm in a couple rewards programs and have there app on my phone but depending on where I'm at and how I feel I search with the GPS for lodging along my route and look for hotels the line up with my phone apps. I primarily use Choice Hotels but have Wyndham as well. while some are better than others I've had good look with Comfort and Quality Inn's on choice Super 8 on Wyndham. Not always the cheapest but my wife has never said know. I also try to stay on the outskirts of large Cities. This works for me, I just find that to many things affect those things I have hit headwinds that drastically alter my range sometimes for a tank sometimes for a few and I am searching for gas anyway, same with lodging things happen construction, accidents, road closures etc and you suddenly you're not where you thought you'd be. I don't want to push a 100 or 150 miles to get a hotel because I'm past the cancelation deadline. Saturday's take a little more planning or you might be out in the cold if you wait to late.

If you don't have a reason to be in Chicago IL , i'd take I-39 to I-74 to Indianapolis IN and avoid the traffic and construction
Find a way around Indianapolis area as 465 on both sides have significant construction with major lane restrictions and heavy truck traffic

nudihjn

Premier Member
I was in Bristol TN on Sunday for a ride from SC. Southern Craft BBQ was pretty good. Route 58 between Damascus VA & Mouth of Wilson VA is an awesome ride if you are in the Bristol area looking for something to do. Damascus also has the VA Creeper Trail. https://www.damascus.org