Planning a multi lake ride.

Completed the Lake Superior 1000 last year. Now I am planning on doing the rest of the Great Lakes. First thought was to ride to my parents place in central Michigan and start the Lake Huron 1000 and Lake Michigan 1000 from there. As planning these rides has gotten a little more detailed, I realized the distance to and from my parents when added to the ride the distance of the trip comes to 3,480. That got me thinking can I get a 4k or 3k out of the trip? Playing with google maps and creating the related spread sheets. I came up with five scenarios.

First would be doing a bun burner, rest 8 hours, circle Lake Huron, rest 8 hours, circle Lake Michigan, rest 8 hours, and then run the short route home. A planned gas stop on that leg would happen at 4080 miles in 91:50. Back to the starting receipt station would be 4,333 miles in 96:11. Certificates would be 1 Bun Burner Gold/Silver (23:45), 2 Saddle Sore 1K, combined to include a Saddle Sore 2K, Saddle Sore 3K and Saddle Sore 4K

Second would be doing a SS1K, rest 8 hours, circle Lake Huron, rest 8 hours, circle Lake Michigan, rest 8 hours, and then run a 901 mile route home. Back to the starting receipt station would be 4,013 miles in 91:54. Certificates would be 3 Saddle Sore 1K, compbined to include a Saddle Sore 2K, Saddle Sore 3K and Saddle Sore 4K

Third option would be to ride 700 miles and rest. Circle Lake Huron, rest 8 hours, Circle Lake Michigan, rest then ride 700 miles home. Certificates would be 2 Saddle Sore 1K and a combined Saddle Sore 2K.

Fourth option would be doing a SS1K, rest 8 hours, circle Lake Huron, rest 8 hours, circle Lake Michigan and rest then ride home. Certificates would be Certificates would be 3 Saddle Sore 1K, combined Saddle Sore 2K, and Saddle Sore 3K

Fifth option would be to not stay at my parents but ride to St Ignace and start the Lake Huron 1000 and completing a Bun Burner Silver, rest 8 hours in St Ignace, ride the Lake Michigan 1000, rest 8 hours in St Ignace and ride home completing a circuit of Lake Superior for a SS3K. Certificates would be a Bun Burner Silver, 26:08, 2 SS1Ks combined for a SS2K and a SS3K.

Which scenario would you chose and why?

Thanks,

Mark

RichmonS

Premier Member
I would choose the second option with one modification of adding 100 miles to the final leg. The main reason is that a BBG was hard on me when I did it. That is all about efficiency and it pushes the edge of my bike's range. I prefer the margin and pace of the SaddleSore's and I can string together multiples of those confidently.

I would choose the second option with one modification of adding 100 miles to the final leg. The main reason is that a BBG was hard on me when I did it. That is all about efficiency and it pushes the edge of my bike's range. I prefer the margin and pace of the SaddleSore's and I can string together multiples of those confidently.
Reading the IBA hints about how total milage ridden per day drops as the ride progresses has me thinking about front loading the ride. An other thing playing in my head is the total days required for the ride plus a day to recover at home. The trip speadsheets allow for 10 minute gas breaks and 20 minutes for boarder crossings. The other consideration is which bike will I use. At present the '75 CB550F has a range of 300 miles on two lane roads, 5 gallon aux tank. The '85 GL1200A range of 200 miles on two lane roads. The 550 is the sentimental choice while the GL1200A would be better for wet weather.

-Mark