Planning an IBA 50CC

Lew, I knew you were about a week after us. Thanks for the updates! We actually were in the dark pretty much after Tucson. Got very cold coming over the mountain in Ca. Was happy to see the daylight going home. Those flashing red lights from the wind mills were freaking me out. I thought I was hallucinating. BTW I would like to give a plug to Timms Harley Davidson in Augusta, Ga. Since I got my 5k and 10k services 3 weeks apart they gave me the 10K free. I sent a link to my GPS to the General Manager and he forwarded it to many of the employees who followed me.

I am in the planning stages of a 100CCC ride. I have read and re-read the rules and documentation requirements, and I no longer find any reference to needing a policeman or fireman as a witness. Is that still a requirement, or can I use a friend, relative, motel clerk, gas station attendant as a witness?

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
I am in the planning stages of a 100CCC ride. I have read and re-read the rules and documentation requirements, and I no longer find any reference to needing a policeman or fireman as a witness. Is that still a requirement, or can I use a friend, relative, motel clerk, gas station attendant as a witness?
We pretty much eliminated using badged witnesses. But the 100ccc is considered extreme (as opposed to the 50cc, which is not) and as such, you should have two witnesses at the start and two at the end.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Bill Q,
There's a list of IBA members on the IBA website who have volunteered to be start / end witnesses for rides.
Many will make quite a trip to a location to sign the forms for you. That's an easy verification for the reviewing committee if they include their IBA membership number along with their signature.
I'd think this would work, but the IBA Communications Officer (Ira) will correct me if I'm wrong.

Mike

Thanks for the info! I'll make sure to get two witnesses.
Bill Q,
It is certainly not my intention to steer your wrong, so please wait for, or seek confirmation from Ira - or send him a PM and ensure that the member list is acceptable for an extreme ride like the 100CCC ride. There are other rides that need to be done and documented with the IBA before attempting the 100CCC as this is considered an "extreme" attempt.
Ira represents the IBA as an officer of the organization. I am just a member and NOT an official voice in any capacity for the IBA.
This is the official list for IBA members who have volunteered to be witnesses for the Saddlesore 1000. They would be ok for the 50CC since the rules are very similar for all those non-extreme rides.
http://www.saddlesore.com/witness/witness.htm
However, the 100CCC is a completely different story so do check with Ira to ensure he, and the review staff are comfortable with these folks acting as witnesses before you begin.

Mike

Last edited:

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Bill Q,
It is certainly not my intention to steer your wrong, so please wait for, or seek confirmation from Ira - or send him a PM and ensure that the member list is acceptable for an extreme ride like the 100CCC ride. There are other rides that need to be done and documented with the IBA before attempting the 100CCC as this is considered an "extreme" attempt.
Ira represents the IBA as an officer of the organization. I am just a member and NOT an official voice in any capacity for the IBA.
This is the official list for IBA members who have volunteered to be witnesses for the Saddlesore 1000. They would be ok for the 50CC since the rules are very similar for all those non-extreme rides.
http://www.saddlesore.com/witness/witness.htm
However, the 100CCC is a completely different story so do check with Ira to ensure he, and the review staff are comfortable with these folks acting as witnesses before you begin.

Mike
The witness list is fine. But be aware of the fact that many sign up for the witness list, but there is no good way to delete names when people move or leave the IBA community for other reasons. So it's not uncommon to be unable to contact some on the list.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Thanks for the 100CCC info everybody. Since a badged witness is no longer a requirement, my witnesses will be easy! I'm planning on riding from Long Beach, CA to Charleston, SC and back. My brother lives in Long Beach, so I can use him and his wife as witnesses. I also plan to get a witness at the hotel I'm staying at in Charleston. Shouldn't need one, but if I encounter problems on either leg of the trip, which cause me to not complete a leg in 50 hours, at least I should still be able to get a 50CC out of it. That is, assuming both legs of the trip don't fall victim to unforeseen problems!

Thanks for the 100CCC info everybody. Since a badged witness is no longer a requirement, my witnesses will be easy! I'm planning on riding from Long Beach, CA to Charleston, SC and back. My brother lives in Long Beach, so I can use him and his wife as witnesses. I also plan to get a witness at the hotel I'm staying at in Charleston. Shouldn't need one, but if I encounter problems on either leg of the trip, which cause me to not complete a leg in 50 hours, at least I should still be able to get a 50CC out of it. That is, assuming both legs of the trip don't fall victim to unforeseen problems!
Always a good idea to document certain milestones along the way i.e. SS, BBG etc. in case you have to pull the pin as you indicated and not finish a leg. Good luck. I enjoyed my 100CCC and would definitely repeat taking a more northerly route.