Planning an IBA 50CC

Paul Knight

Premier Member
Mike,

I am from New Orleans and I know the "back roads" to get around any New Orleans traffic if there was any on a Saturday morning.

If I-12 is backed up you could be messed up for hours and I have been backed up for hours on I-12.

So for me it is just and advantage of "local knowledge"

Yeah - just wondering since I-12 looked as though it was the shorter of the two routes.
THAT could be a huge time saver. Ya' can't beat "local knowledge" when it comes to getting out of a jam!!

Thanks my man!!

cacomly

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Rony:
Taking photos of receipts is a good idea, I tried it once DURING a rally and found it cumbersome. I'm sure a better way exists (than what I was doing). Additionally, when I get home, I have started to copy everything to hard drives--but that assumes I haven't lost something first. I should probably look at trying it again.

Cheers.
I second this. During my SS5K on the way to JAX I managed to lose one of my receipts in one of the many windstorms I fought during the ride. Fortunately I had a photo of it so I simply printed it and added to my documentation

Reef

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
May 8 I head out for the 100CCC .
I live in Florida and would have to ride home anyway so might as well check 2 boxes while I am at it.
If anyone is going to be on the run then, drop me a line, we will see if our paths intersect.
May 8 I head out for the 100CCC .
I live in Florida and would have to ride home anyway so might as well check 2 boxes while I am at it.
If anyone is going to be on the run then, drop me a line, we will see if our paths intersect.

I appreciate the comments from those that have made the run. Still gleaning any advice I can.

My plan is 4 equal legs.
Jax-Jct TX
Jct TX-SD
SD_Jct TX
Jct TX-Jax

Fuel range between stops out west continues to be a concern. A few of the planned stops stretch my fuel range.
The evening of May 9th I leave for a 50CC with a Why,Az to Whynot, MS thrown in the middle. Don't know what time you leaving on the 8th but if you are here and ready to roll around midnight on the 9th we can roll together (at least until the 10/20 split in Texas).

619-259-1692 Reef

I appreciate the comments from those that have made the run. Still gleaning any advice I can.

My plan is 4 equal legs.
Jax-Jct TX
Jct TX-SD
SD_Jct TX
Jct TX-Jax

Fuel range between stops out west continues to be a concern. A few of the planned stops stretch my fuel range.

I have heard several riders over the last few years complain about the El Paso traffic. I know it is nothing compared to Houston. I have been through there a few times some in the middle of an IBA ride, not the 50cc as of yet. I have always taken the loop, Woodrow Bean Trans Mountain Drive (375), around El Paso through the Franklin Mountains to reconnect with I-10.

I just wanted to know if anyone else has used it or is just blasting through El Paso on I-10 better. At one time there was construction on it with a lot of stop lights on the west end of it. I don't remember my last trip through there as it being a problem.

Paul, thanks for the reply.I didn't think it would but I have never went through on I-10 unless my destination was El Paso. Thought I'd throw it out there for some of the more experienced 50cc riders.

Paul Knight

Premier Member
Jerry, on my first 50cc we went thru San Antonio at dusk and we had a hard time. The traffic and confusing route was "unfriendly" at that time of day.

Jon Kerr

More lost than found
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Thanks for the heads up Paul.

I'm making some changes to my route right now!!

Mike
A few years ago my buddy and I did our first 50CC.
JAX was our start point. We were concerned about el paso and had a couple of options planned, based on traffic. We hit it early enough (Or late enough) that the traffic was minimal. We blazed tgrough with nary a hiccup.

If speed is your goal, I'd pay attention to what time you plan on hitting el Paso. Monitor traffic. We had zero problems with this plan. If traffic was intense, we were going to take the mountain loop.

Having never taken the mountain loop, I'm not sure how fun it is, but it's gotta be more scenic than the elpaso turnpike. Therefore, if your goal is to take in a piece of scenery, do the loop!

The 50CC is easily done within the allotted 50 hr. time frame.

Paul, I have only ridden through San Antonio once, been there a few times in the cage, but now that you mentioned it, I do remember staying confused until I was somewhere on the NW side making my leisurely way to Dallas. I am glad I wasn't on the clock and traffic wasn't at it's peak. I got to explore some back roads.

SeabeeCapt

Premier Member
Just finished a W-E 50CC. Only miles off I-8/I-10 were I-12 around NO. No road condition problems. Left SDO 0330 Sunday. Finished at the Gate station in Jax Beach, Shell station closed, finished in 41 hours and a few seconds. Did a BBG to Beaumont, TX and a SS2000GOLD to Holt, FL.
Weather corporated!
Ride Safe,
Robert

SeabeeCapt

Premier Member
I was riding a 2012 R1200RT and my wingman, a Goldwing.
We filled up in SDO and he bought some water so he finished 8 minutes ahead of me. My start time 0322 his 0330. He finished in 40 hours.
Ride Safe,
Robert
PS and yes I told him the whole ride he was holding me up!

Last edited:

SeabeeCapt

Premier Member
No, nor San Antonio because of the times we went through! Planned it that way. I suggest anybody do the same, San Antonio 2332 hours, and Houston in the middle of the night also. Did not use any bypasses, except for I-12 around NO, strictly stayed on I-10 like I said before. Also, stayed on the East side of Beaumont to miss the morning traffic, and believe it or not there was morning traffic backed up for miles heading west! I always stop on the side of cities that I'm heading, east if going east, etc.

BMWguy

IBA Member
Yep - good planning can make a huge difference.

Thanks for the information and again - congratulations on the successful trip!!

Mike