Planning and preparation are key to having an enjoyable IBA experience

IndianRider

Premier Member
Thank you very much for that. I’m in my mid 50’s and is a goal of mine to finish an IBR before getting “too old” to finish.

Looking at the last two IBR top 3 finishers, they are logging epic miles on top of epic bonus location.

For me to finish an IBR, and complete the necessary prerequisites to apply, my fitness level must be high.

I’ve started my regimen and wanted to add to your experience.

-No alcohol
-no coffee
-limited sugar
-limited processed foods
-Participate in noom, paying close attention.
-strength based movement training, my sons football coach gave me a training regimen that combines movement and resistance.
-yoga for flexibility, breathing, and joints.
-swim/run, currently at :30 minutes and want to build up to more.

For those of us “of a certain age” having a high fitness level will limit injury and increase stamina.

I’ve been at it for a month and I’ve noticed:
-blood pressure dropped from stage 1 hypertension to 105-107/70-75.
-resting heart rate went from mid to high 60’s to an average of 57z
-lost 14 pounds, I’mblessed that my metabolism is not low, I’m a naturally thin dude, and was not far from my ideal weight to begin with. I’m at my ideal weight now and am focusing on strength and stamina.
-feel really energetic
-cognitive clarity, I remember where my keys are, directions, things people said and stuff I read. It’s noticeable, processing speed is quicker too. I swear it’s like my brain is younger.

I’m no expert at health/fitness nor do I have any credentials. This is my own personal discoveries and I hope it’s useful to others.

Thank you for the thread.
At age 69, I did my first SS1K just over a month ago on a 2014 Indian Chieftain (although with the added trunk it looks more like a Roadmaster). I stay fit bicycling and hiking but nothing too extreme and I try and avoid most processed foods. I started at just after 0300 and it was cold - when I fueled up the first few times, hot coffee sure hit the spot. For the rest of the ride I would mix my own drinks using Isagenix Amped powders and brought healthy snacks (fruits I dehydrated, almonds, etc). I'd stop every 140-175 miles or so, fill up, have some of the snacks I brought and launch again (drank a LOT of water too). Other than a chicken dinner well into the day I didn't go for any other fast food...

I had no real issues, didn't feel like I was pushing myself at all and completed the ride in just under 19 hours total, a little over 16 in the saddle. No naps, just some stretching and walking around a bit after fueling - in a prior life I flew long haul international trips on the B-777 so was used to a bit of a "grind." I lucked out with weather, hot and dry and other than unknown road construction and rush hour traffic on I-84 through CT the ride was perfect.

Can't wait for the next one, going west next year!

Last edited:

AirbusFlieger

At age 69, I did my first SS1K just over a month ago on a 2014 Indian Chieftain (although with the added trunk it looks more like a Roadmaster). I stay fit bicycling and hiking but nothing too extreme and I try and avoid most processed foods. I started at just after 0300 and it was cold - when I fueled up the few few times, hot coffee sure hit the spot. For the rest of the ride I would mix my own drinks using Isagenix Amped powders and brought healthy snacks (fruits I dehydrated, almonds, etc). I'd stop every 140-175 miles or so, fill up, have some of the snacks I brought and launch again (drank a LOT of water too). Other than a chicken dinner well into the day I didn't go for any other fast food...

I had no real issues, didn't feel like I was pushing myself at all and completed the ride in just under 19 hours total, a little over 16 in the saddle. No naps, just some stretching and walking around a bit after fueling - in a prior life I flew long haul international trips on the B-777 so was used to a bit of a "grind." I lucked out with weather, hot and dry and other than unknown road construction and rush hour traffic on I-84 through CT the ride was perfect.

Can't wait for the next one, going west next year!
Don’t go west just yet! :oops:
:):)

Firstpeke

I think there are probably a "few" of us who, in our mind, are still thinking that we are only a few years out of the armed services. in my case 36..... and we can still do pretty much what we used to.... until we try to do what we used to and our body clearly says:
"You can write that cheque, but I ain't cashing it!"

So we need to make an effort, perhaps despite the painful reminders from joints and old injuries, to try and get some general fitness exercise to improve our opportunities of successfully completing the more arduous IBA rides......

Being old is not an issue, getting there might be though.... I still don't know what the heck happened, did I blink too long and miss a block of years or something, where did all these grand kids come from..... maybe it was some sort of time warp my body fell through..... if it was, I clearly landed on something solid and did some damage.

Owsley

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
In my mind you are mixing apples and oranges.
1. Do yo want to finish or do you want to finish in the top 3?
2. What is too old to finish? I have no idea how to finish in the top 3 but I do have an that too old is undefined.
Al Hochberry finished in 2015 at 79. I finished in 2017 as a 71 year old rookie. And I have finished twice since then. And in ‘23 I plan ti be on a team with my granddaughter.

Forget the age business. Ride the miles and get rally experience. That’s the key to finishing (IMHO).
You go Marty!

If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have tried to have more fun doing all the stupid shit I did in my younger days...

It's like the Toby Keith song says, "I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good ONCE as I ever was"...

It was a LOT easier to do a 1000 mile ride 40 years ago...

My Harley (FLHP-I) has the "cop seat" on it and that is SO much easier than my sport bike... Too damn old to be riding around with my knees near my ears... :) 500 miles on the sport bike and I'm dead the next day... 500 miles on the Harley and I'm at least able to walk / hobble around...