Planning BBG

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
I was thinking just a bit while on a short ride about this discussion - might be helpful, might not.

When I was planning my 48/10 ride, the route needed a couple of tweaks, but it was essentially a route that many others have ridden in the past. From Coeur D'Alene, ID to Bowman, ND was the end of my second day of riding. Mostly easterly in direction, and about 775 miles in length. (My day started in Grangeville, ID...but not germane to the story). My preferred stopping point is 180 - 200 miles on my '16 Goldwing.

Coeur D'Alene was a corner (obviously), so a fuel stop was needed there. In order to get to Bowman, ND, I had to exit I-90 and get onto US 12 for the last segment of this day of riding. Fortunately, there's civilization there at the junction - Miles City, Montana.

Distance from Coeur D'Alene - Miles City ~ 640 miles on I-90

Yeah, we're up in elevation, so I should be able to get decent fuel mileage, but I'm not gonna push it here. 640 / 3 ~ 213 miles. A study of Google Maps shows there's no way I'm gonna get lucky enough to find places that are just inside my fuel range.

640 / 4 ~ 160 So I'm adding a single additional fuel stop in that 640 miles. Ten minutes of time...not a problem, doesn't bother this ride at all.

Missoula (177), Three Forks (187), Billings (144), and Miles City (128).

Did I actually have to make that stop in Miles City? Probably not, but again, good practice - change of direction, mark a spot.

Of course all this goes out the window if your BBG routing is an out-and back. Luck to ya!

Doug Horner

Premier Member
I was thinking just a bit while on a short ride about this discussion - might be helpful, might not.

When I was planning my 48/10 ride, the route needed a couple of tweaks, but it was essentially a route that many others have ridden in the past. From Coeur D'Alene, ID to Bowman, ND was the end of my second day of riding. Mostly easterly in direction, and about 775 miles in length. (My day started in Grangeville, ID...but not germane to the story). My preferred stopping point is 180 - 200 miles on my '16 Goldwing.

Coeur D'Alene was a corner (obviously), so a fuel stop was needed there. In order to get to Bowman, ND, I had to exit I-90 and get onto US 12 for the last segment of this day of riding. Fortunately, there's civilization there at the junction - Miles City, Montana.

Distance from Coeur D'Alene - Miles City ~ 640 miles on I-90

Yeah, we're up in elevation, so I should be able to get decent fuel mileage, but I'm not gonna push it here. 640 / 3 ~ 213 miles. A study of Google Maps shows there's no way I'm gonna get lucky enough to find places that are just inside my fuel range.

640 / 4 ~ 160 So I'm adding a single additional fuel stop in that 640 miles. Ten minutes of time...not a problem, doesn't bother this ride at all.

Missoula (177), Three Forks (187), Billings (144), and Miles City (128).

Did I actually have to make that stop in Miles City? Probably not, but again, good practice - change of direction, mark a spot.

Of course all this goes out the window if your BBG routing is an out-and back. Luck to ya!
Thanks for the thoughts. My preferred fuel stop interval is also 180-200. I figured it gives me a buffer if a planned stop goes away. I Will most likely go out and back in spring but if I have time I prefer to go one way or make it a 3 or 4 leg roundabout.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
I'm glad my first BBG was a straight shot west from Jacksonville Beach...minimized any routing challenges with that. :)

Luck to ya!