Power naps

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
My daytrip to Stuttgart over the weekend had me once again napping in carparks and I thought we could share tips for the optimum napping technique.

Having recognised the signs of "time for a nap" on some dark motorway somewhere in the wasteland in the early hours of Saturday morning I pulled into a rest area full of sleeping lorries but completely devoid of other amenities, switched the bike off, leaned over the tank bag and went to sleep. Shortly afterwards I woke up with a start fearing that I was rolling over in bed and about to take the bike with me.

I got off the bike, removed my helmet (it cost a fortune and I don't want it scratched), pulled my [IBAUK winter] buff over my head, lay on the tarmac next to the bike and went to sleep. 20 minutes later I woke up refreshed, walked round for five minutes then resumed my journey eastwards.

What do you do?

Last month, after a break of 2 years, I went out for 2 IBA-Rides - a SS 1000 and a BBG 2500. In the meantimme, my rides had a maximum of app. 600 miles a day.
I decided, to be very careful and therefore have some breaks, espacially in the night, in addition to the usual fuel stops.

I always try to find a motorways service area (Autobahnraststätte) if not at hand , an "Autohof", which is a kind of motorways service area, but generally a few hundred yards away from the motorway. In Germany you find the information sign "Autohof" at least all 25 - 30 miles on motorways.

In 90%, motorways service area ("Autobahn - Raststätte) as well as "Autohof", you'll find some chairs or a bench in the illuminated entrance area.
Have a seat, close your eyes ( in my case have a smoke) and relax in a rather save ambience.

And yes, 10 - 15 minutes is more than enough. And yes, it's important, to take of the helmet, even if it gets scratched:eek:

Sometimes, all you need is the air that you breathe.....

OX-34

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I've pulled over and had a nap in the dirt many a time, but that is not my preference. A picnic table or bench or even a concrete slab next to a bench is better.

Helmet on or off doesn't matter to me. I carry a small kind of poncho from a camping store that in it's little bag is like a tiny pillow, so with it under my neck my helmet doesn't touch the ground.

I lie down and get my legs up on a wall or on a pole or something. Best of all is me flat on the ground with my butt next to the bench, my knees up at 90 and with my calves flat on a bench toes pointing at the sky. Two reasons, no, make it three:
- takes the stress off the back
- helps with venous drainage
- when I fall asleep, any attempt to roll over sees my legs start to fall and I wake up.

No alarm needed, ready for another 1000km.

A "just sleeping" sign can help ward off the "Are you ok?" Questions from passers-by.

I never sleep leaned over the tank bag. It is the opposite of my best position eg bad for leg swelling, butt still taking the weight etc. Plus I have heard of riders waking up to an instant of sheer terror thinking they've fallen asleep while riding and are about to slam into the stationary wall in front of them.

Using a 'coffee nap' is a common thing. Rider tired; drink coffee (I drink iced coffee); settle in for nap as above; caffeine - if it does anything for you - wakes you say 20 minutes later; ride off.

Mike Strong

Premier Member
When travelling alone on chunnel I always try to nap whilst in transit. It's an enforced 45 mins of sleep. I'm roughly 200 miles from chunnel so it's a boost both ways.

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I prefer a chair in a motorway service station.Chair in a corner and head against the wall.
If it's noisy ear plugs are the way to go.
In UK and Europe I have never been asked to move on.The limited staff are too busy restocking and serving coffees to bother.

In the USA I always use motels even for a couple of hours.

michiel kerkhof

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Prefer to nap laying straight down on my back...I use my rallybookcase (on top of my tankbag) which is abt 5 cm thick as a pillow...keep my helmet and gloves on(no musquitos) and usually lie down eyes closed always thinking I have not been sleeping but probably did....I wake up after 20-30 mins fresh again for at leasat couple of hours.....If I get signals like impossible to stop yawning,unable to keep speed...forget indicators(on the Yam...HD are automatic) the usual warning signals I try and get a room hotel/motel whatever ald sleep for 2/2,5/3 hrs tops same as at home I normally wake up after that....

FJRPilot

Brit Butt Rallymaster RBLR1000 routemaster
Premier Member
IBA Member
I too can only sleep properly if I lay down. During my first ever SS1000 I stopped for a 30 minute nap on the side of a road in a lay-by. The weather was warm and dry in the early hours so just laid down on the grass with my tank bag for a pillow.

Last edited:
Depends on what's available to me, first BBR was a display chair in the services at stoke, wolfhound was a Morrisons trolley park in Bradford, a ferry and a lay by if I'd written a sign a Garda may not of worken me up to tell me I looked tired!!