Premier Membership

Hi: I paid for the premier membership yesterday, seeing as I am now addicted to Ironbutt rides (two in two weeks and another planned for next week).

Will I receive an email on how to access the premier content and how to submit my rides electronically?

Thanks!

sector7g

Premier Member
To my knowledge, you do not have to be a premier member to submit electronically - at least, I submitted my first ever ride electronically. I scanned all my receipts (I also purchased the premiere membership at the same time so I didn’t have to get witnesses).
But if you don’t have the premiere membership, you should be able to also scan and include witness docs along with any other relevant info. http://www.ironbutt.com/rideapp/

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
To my knowledge, you do not have to be a premier member to submit electronically - at least, I submitted my first ever ride electronically. I scanned all my receipts (I also purchased the premiere membership at the same time so I didn’t have to get witnesses).
But if you don’t have the premiere membership, you should be able to also scan and include witness docs along with any other relevant info. http://www.ironbutt.com/rideapp/
There is a special email address to which Premier members submit their rides that provides quicker turnaround.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

There seems to be a lack of information regarding the premier membership. Perhaps a suggestion is when someone purchases the membership, a list of instructions and details can be emailed? All I received is a notice of payment received.

Roadglider

Premier Member
Jennifer,

Once you are a premier member, an email with your premier membership benefits and instructions will be emailed to you. Just as you stated. Just be patient and check SPAM folder to make sure you did not already receive it.

I have enjoyed the benefits of premier and it has saved me time on rides and the submitting of rides. Will renew every year until I can no longer ride

Gene

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
No sent in two weeks ago. Thanks for letting me know.
In order to become a Premier member, one first needs to become an IBA member by completing and having certified at least a Saddlesore 1000. If your initial rides have not yet been certified, you are not yet an IBA member and therefore technically not yet a Premier member.

Some of the confusion stems from the eStore software not preventing folks without IBA member numbers to order a Premier membership. We will be implementing such a control in the future.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

In order to become a Premier member, one first needs to become an IBA member by completing and having certified at least a Saddlesore 1000. If your initial rides have not yet been certified, you are not yet an IBA member and therefore technically not yet a Premier member.

Some of the confusion stems from the eStore software not preventing folks without IBA member numbers to order a Premier membership. We will be implementing such a control in the future.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association
Thanks, Ira. My ride documentation was sent in two weeks ago. I assume that once that is certified my payment for premier will be valid.

Scott Parish

Premier Member
Hi Jennifer - just an FYI - certification can take several weeks (8-12) especially during the summer months when the all volunteer certification team is swamped with ride applications. If I recall, my first SS1K took about 3 months to be certified. Just keep riding. If you do more IBA rides - it might be better to wait until the first ride has been certified and your membership confirmed and upgraded to Premier before further submissions.

Scott: Thanks, I was aware of that. I have completed a second IBA ride on my BMw G310GS (lower Great Lakes) and plan another (Lake Huron) next week. I will hold the subsequent apps and submit them when my first ride is certified. Thanks!

I paid for premier for years as well as thousands of dollars in ride fees and still got snubbed on IBR 19 so while I promoted Premier for many years, I was a sucker. It is basically a scam to collect a few bucks from dedicated LD riders.

I’m new to IBA and did join as premier. It was my understanding as premier you had a shot at the IBR but it was not guaranteed and you compete for a slot against all other premier IBA members who apply. Is that not correct?

Clearly you’ve enjoyed membership. I don’t know how many times you tried to get into the IBR but keep trying.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
It is far from a certainty that you get in the IBR. I have been a premier member for years, pushed it on other people, supported every regional event (save one), rode more than 100 certified and paid-for rides and was still not chosen for IBR19. Piss off the insiders and you will not get IBR, no matter what you do to "increase" your probability.

OX-34

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
John that doesn't sound complete. If I recall correctly:

- You applied for and were accepted in the IBR in 2013. [I'll stick with your lingo] You then went on to "piss off the insiders" and did not ride in the IBR that year.
- You applied for and rode in the IBR in 2015 placing 72nd.
- You applied for and rode in the IBR in 2017 placing 65th.

So it seems that despite "pissing off the insiders" and pissing away an opportunity to ride in the big dance in 2013 you did in fact subsequently get the opportunity to ride in the IBR at the next two events. Congratulations on your riding and best wishes for 2021 if you apply for entry.

I agree with you that "it is far from a certainty that you get in the IBR". But just the chance to get in keeps many of us motivated to keep racking up the miles.