Preparing for a Bun Burner Gold

I rode through Arizona and Nevada last year, it was 120 when I went through the Las Vegas area. Evaporative cooling is the way to go. I soaked my under clothes at each gas stop and kept all but 1 vent closed on my gear and it was better than the best AC I've ever had in any car. Amazing!

rebelmark

Premier Member
IBA Member
I disagree with many of these people; go to bed early and leave around 1:30-2am. You will get a few hundred miles under your belt and when the sun rises it will rejuvenate you. Plus, when you get to your destination, it will be late, but not that late.

My advice is do not take your helmet off at gas stops, eat granola bars while you are driving, and mentally break down the ride into 300 mile increments. Finishing a BBG1500 was one of my most favorite accomplishments.

Also, the LDR undergarments are a must, and if you have, one of the wool seat covers.

WY88

Premier Member
I disagree with many of these people; go to bed early and leave around 1:30-2am. You will get a few hundred miles under your belt and when the sun rises it will rejuvenate you. Plus, when you get to your destination, it will be late, but not that late.

My advice is do not take your helmet off at gas stops, eat granola bars while you are driving, and mentally break down the ride into 300 mile increments. Finishing a BBG1500 was one of my most favorite accomplishments.

Also, the LDR undergarments are a must, and if you have, one of the wool seat covers.

I am one of the leave early, try and have my start receipt as close to 0200 as possible. Agree with eating and leaving helmet on unless you HAVE to remove it. Motojug, is also a must, for me.

Dogpoope

Premier Member
As I have worked graveyard shift most of my life I prefer to start late (6-8pm) and ride first part during night on highways. Low traffic, cover some decent miles without much change in speed and get that energy boost when sun comes up. Works better than these early starts I had to do on 2xSS1000 (4am) and SS1600K (9.30am).

Ride with camelbak and 1-2 refills in saddle bags along with "easy food" such as nuts, raisins, some fruit etc.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
For a BBG ride, your ending time is as much something to consider as your start time. Can you get a DBR at the location you expect to end up at 0200? Are there back up locations nearby? (Outside ATM or a 24 He business that you verified was open in this era of pandemic employee shortage)

Working with your existing body rythems is best, and understanding your body's needs and low ebb times helps.

Food - you don't normally fast for 24 hours, why would you do that on a BBG ride? I certainly agree with some snacks in the tank bag, but Include some more substantial food too.