Profile posts Vs Private Messages (PM)

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Just a heads up to forum users. Profile posts are public and show up on the home page, along the right side, and anyone that goes to that persons profile can read them. Sensitive info like address, phone, email or details you don't want public should be conveyed via a PM to keep your conversation private.

I have noticed a few conversations lately that might be better off via PM. :) No need in making it easy for the scammers and spammers.

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Premier Member
Yeah, I figured that out a while ago. I wasn't sweating bullets about the exchanges on my profile page, since all the same information was in the threads anyway.

If anyone out there is a scammer/spammer who needs to get a hold of me regarding my Nigerian Royal Family Member Lottery and Inheritance, please reach out to me at [email protected]

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Just a heads up to forum users. Profile posts are public and show up on the home page, along the right side, and anyone that goes to that persons profile can read them. Sensitive info like address, phone, email or details you don't want public should be conveyed via a PM to keep your conversation private.

I have noticed a few conversations lately that might be better off via PM. :) No need in making it easy for the scammers and spammers.
Not to mention that one cannot directly reply to the sender of a post to a profile.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Auburn

Premier Member

I looked to see where to do PM but could not find where.

On other forums, I am used to highlighting the person's name and it gives the option to send a PM. I don't see that here. Maybe someone can highlight how to do so?

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I looked to see where to do PM but could not find where.

On other forums, I am used to highlighting the person's name and it gives the option to send a PM. I don't see that here. Maybe someone can highlight how to do so?
Hover your curser over the user name, then a window will appear. Click on "start conversation" and a new window opens to do your PM. Feel free to test on me.

Auburn

Premier Member
Hover your curser over the user name, then a window will appear. Click on "start conversation" and a new window opens to do your PM. Feel free to test on me.
Eric,
here is what I see when I do that. I'm not give the option to start a conversation.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
That's odd. What I see is this:
Screen Shot 2021-03-09 at 4.20.59 PM.png

If I hove over my own user name, I see what similar to what you show, w/o follow or ignore. Anyone else's I see Start conversation too. Maybe check your settings.

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
@Ira to the white courtesy phone, please... Is there a toggle in user profile that enables/disables one's ability to Start (a) Conversation with other users?

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
There is a privacy setting to select whom may start a conversation. Members only, people I know or nobody. (something like that) Mine is set to Members only, which should include any Premier members. I seem to recall you can't become a Premier member w/o being an IBA member first.

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
There is a privacy setting to select whom may start a conversation. Members only, people I know or nobody. (something like that) Mine is set to Members only, which should include any Premier members. I seem to recall you can't become a Premier member w/o being an IBA member first.
I saw that. The three choices are: Members Only, People you follow, and Nobody.

Since I can see it on your profile, I was certain you did not have it set to "Nobody". I cannot imagine you would be "Following" me, so the only option left would have been "Members Only". Pretty sure that means members of the forum. So given all that I asked Ira's help in case there is a toggle behind the scenes, away from user control, that might be preventing "Auburn" from starting conversations.

Auburn

Premier Member
I saw that. The three choices are: Members Only, People you follow, and Nobody.

Since I can see it on your profile, I was certain you did not have it set to "Nobody". I cannot imagine you would be "Following" me, so the only option left would have been "Members Only". Pretty sure that means members of the forum. So given all that I asked Ira's help in case there is a toggle behind the scenes, away from user control, that might be preventing "Auburn" from starting conversations.
Mine is set to Members only for privacy settings.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
You can also start a conversation by clicking on the "Inbox" link in the upper right portion of the screen, then hitting the "Start a new conversation" button.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Auburn

Premier Member
You can also start a conversation by clicking on the "Inbox" link in the upper right portion of the screen, then hitting the "Start a new conversation" button.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association
Thanks.

Although that is not very intuitive though since every other forum (that I participate in) allows you to hover over the person's name and gives the option to send a PM or start a conversation.