Qualifying Ride

Farkleit

Premier Member
Just a quick one. Is there a limit to what a non IBA can ride as their first IBA.
Ie does the first ride have to be a saddle sore 1000mile or 1600klm.
Or can a person attempt any ride as the first ride to be certified?

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Some of the more challenging rides such as the Bun Burner Gold do specify a pre-requisite before attempting them.
What he said. But any of our rides without a prerequisite (i.e., any non-extreme ride) can act as a first IBA ride.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Farkleit

Premier Member
Good idea i know. Its not me. I heard that someone was attempting a centetline 36 as their first iba ride. Thought thete nasty be a pre requisite to have done a 1600 first.

JAVGuzzi

Premier Member
Like Ira said, any Non-Extreme or Non-Gold ride can be done as a first IBA Ride. So a SS1K or a BB1500 will work. My riding Buddy and I did a Great Lakes Challenge ( < 100 hours around all 5 Great Lakes ). That was his first IBA ride. That's another Non-Extreme or Non-Gold ride.

If I had to plan my first IBA ride again, I think I would do about 700 miles on the slab ( a rectangular route starting & ending at my home, with quick stops), get home and then take a 4 hour nap, and then do a 325 mile out-and-back to my home. With the 4 hour snooze, you should finish in about 22.5 hours.

Last edited:

igneouss

Premier Member
After having done my first ride, a typical ss1k, and pondering things, I think a bun burner 1500 in 36 hours might actually be a better first ride. You can ride the first 2 thirds or so. Then get a decent rest and knock out the last third. With a bit of planning you could minimize night riding and take your rest in your own bed.

OX-34

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
After having done my first ride, a typical ss1k, and pondering things, I think a bun burner 1500 in 36 hours might actually be a better first ride. You can ride the first 2 thirds or so. Then get a decent rest and knock out the last third. With a bit of planning you could minimize night riding and take your rest in your own bed.
Ummm..... "the first 2 thirds or so" is.... ahh.. a SS1000M.

So you could ride a SS1000M, get a decent rest in your own bed, not have to get up at all the next day and minimise night riding. Submit your ride and get a SS1000M certificate as your first one.

igneouss

Premier Member
Ummm..... "the first 2 thirds or so" is.... ahh.. a SS1000M.

So you could ride a SS1000M, get a decent rest in your own bed, not have to get up at all the next day and minimise night riding. Submit your ride and get a SS1000M certificate as your first one.
I suppose what's not said there is that it gives a lot more flexibility. If the first time rider needs a good break at 850 miles then they can do that. It eliminates the demand to make that 1000 miles mark. Obviously, if you're feeling good you can go the 1000 miles. It just provides flexibility.

Flappy

Premier Member
Hmmm,

I'm in the planning stages right now. I have a Tiger 800 with Corbin seat , Baja Designs race lights and bags that I will be doing the attempt on. My max so far on it has been 18 hours straight with only 658 ish miles logged but that might have been because a good bit of it was gravel being traversed at approximately 35 miles an hour.
This time my prospective route will take me across two state lines and into a different time zone. From Tigard, Oregon to Maricopa, Arizona, roughly 1300 miles. The reason I wish to run this route is because I have an invitation form Mr. Rick "Superhunky" Sieman to visit with him at his home near Maricopa and I would like to have him witness my IBA certificate if possible. Since I'm planning on 4-5 days total the 1500 in 36 might be the way to go as I would just have to "pad" it a bit to get 1500 in one one -way trip. If anyone has any relavent advice please share.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
This time my prospective route will take me across two state lines and into a different time zone. From Tigard, Oregon to Maricopa, Arizona, roughly 1300 miles. The reason I wish to run this route is because I have an invitation form Mr. Rick "Superhunky" Sieman to visit with him at his home near Maricopa and I would like to have him witness my IBA certificate if possible. Since I'm planning on 4-5 days total the 1500 in 36 might be the way to go as I would just have to "pad" it a bit to get 1500 in one one -way trip. If anyone has any relavent advice please share.
1) Don't over-think a first LD ride attempt.

2) See above.

:D

A 1500-in-36 is certainly do-able for a first trip, as has been discussed. I'm reiterating a lot that's already been posted here and elsewhere.

Just remember this organization requires proof that the ride you've claimed is the ride you've accomplished.

Your direct route, being a couple hundred miles shy, would mean that the extra distance needed would be truly provable. Thus, your route will have 'corners', when you're direction substantially changes. These must be recorded by the time-honored dated business receipt (DBR) with all of the data being accurate (date, time, precise location) for the association volunteers to do their part of the job of certifying your ride.

Using your start and end, this popped out of Google Maps in about three seconds: https://goo.gl/maps/iYHNXTLtki72

Note the inclusion of Pocatello, ID in order to get a route that's ~1530 miles. There are those that suggest a decent buffer of 2% or more of your total distance, and I'm a believer if it's a route that may not be well-worn in LD circles.

Eighteen to twenty hours of highway/Interstate riding with efficient gas stops would get you at or over 1000 miles on day one. A good six hours of sleep, leaves just ten hours to complete that 500 miles - or less - to make your destination.

Seems reasonable to me! ;)

Luck to you!

Flappy

Premier Member
Thanks fellows,

I've put a good deal of thought and prep into this already as far as the 1k in a day. I've got two Garmin handhelds with topo and city streets '17, a spot and my phone with the ubiquitous Google maps. I understand that nothing will suffice but timed, dated reciepts from along the route submitted with other such evidentiary items such as the witness forms.

But it seems to me as though I might have found my little niche. Since my rides regularly take up to 16 hours I may as well get some usage of it and just put down the distance. As others who may live here in Oregon will attest, we have Nirvana on Earth for motorcycling of every type here, name your flavour. Only thing I can name right off hand that we DON'T have is tropical climate.

Unfortunately, I'm not satisfied with the routes that immediately suggest themeselves from either east-west (I-84) or north-south (I-5). I've done large stretches of both and they do not interest me as much as they are relatively uninteresting for great vast stretches. Granted, you can plan to pass those parts in the night time but as a child of the west coast I'm bored with 'em. I usually use either as a time-saver when I'm trying to get back home with a minimum of fuss. But don't get me wrong, I had a blast in Southeast Oregon out in the big empty when I was last through there and the route I was proposing has some interesting areas along it as well. It just might be a bit more "rural" in spots requiring maybe some advance inquirys as to dated receipts, availability of witnesses, etc. But I will keep reading the rules, reading ride reports and just generally keep at everything related to long distance motorcycling and hopefully I'll get it right the first time.

Thanks again folks,
Rick Wheeler

Thanks fellows,

I've put a good deal of thought and prep into this already as far as the 1k in a day. I've got two Garmin handhelds with topo and city streets '17, a spot and my phone with the ubiquitous Google maps. I understand that nothing will suffice but timed, dated reciepts from along the route submitted with other such evidentiary items such as the witness forms.

But it seems to me as though I might have found my little niche. Since my rides regularly take up to 16 hours I may as well get some usage of it and just put down the distance. As others who may live here in Oregon will attest, we have Nirvana on Earth for motorcycling of every type here, name your flavour. Only thing I can name right off hand that we DON'T have is tropical climate.

Unfortunately, I'm not satisfied with the routes that immediately suggest themeselves from either east-west (I-84) or north-south (I-5). I've done large stretches of both and they do not interest me as much as they are relatively uninteresting for great vast stretches. Granted, you can plan to pass those parts in the night time but as a child of the west coast I'm bored with 'em. I usually use either as a time-saver when I'm trying to get back home with a minimum of fuss. But don't get me wrong, I had a blast in Southeast Oregon out in the big empty when I was last through there and the route I was proposing has some interesting areas along it as well. It just might be a bit more "rural" in spots requiring maybe some advance inquirys as to dated receipts, availability of witnesses, etc. But I will keep reading the rules, reading ride reports and just generally keep at everything related to long distance motorcycling and hopefully I'll get it right the first time.

Thanks again folks,
Rick Wheeler
The route Ken suggested is a nice ride as I have covered nearly all previously. However, for the first certified ride - I would keep it simple and plan a route ending near the starting point to limit cost to fuel only. I generally take a small hiking tent or tarp with me and sleep wherever I can find a clearing. I utilized a hotel/motel on the coast-t0-coast-to-coast ride I just completed when I arrived to Jacksonville Beach simply because I knew it would be difficult to find a place where I could sleep outside without being rousted by the police. Plus, I needed shower and figured 4 hours in a bed was necessary as I was riding non-stop both directions. Good luck and be sure to post a ride-report afterwards in the certified ride section.

Scott

Flappy,
All good advice...
When I did my first SS100, I returned to the same fuel stop that I began the "adventure" on for a final receipt.
I had all the receipts numbered and locations noted on a map along with the route highlighted in Garmin MapSource.
On my Trip log and Route log I did include the mileage as was figured by MapSource, my odometer and the GPS unit.
There was quite a difference between my odometer and the other two sources. Additionally, my speedometer is slow by 5 miles per hour.
I'm confident the review staff will look at the map and other documentation to determine the mileage by whatever source they use.

I'll end with this. I thought the SS100 would be pretty easy to accomplish. But being my first attempt at an IBA ride, it proved to be a challenge.
I did that ride in a hair over 19 hours, but learned one thing - I need to stay on the motorcycle clipping along and not walking around rest areas or fuel stops!! LOL!
By keeping down to business, I trimmed an hour and a half off my second attempt and it seemed much easier that the first ride.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
I get the reason @Flappy is considering an LD ride to a destination/person, as he mentioned.

If it's to accomplish "both" goals of the ride (1500-in-36 & having a witness form signed by a notable member of the fourth estate), then it's his ride to ride. We here *all* recognize that, and my intent is to not dissuade him from his original plan.

Hehehe... @BMWguy your last paragraph above reminded me of my very first SS1000. It was in conjunction with the fine crew over at the MTF. Apparently, there were several that had signed up for the ride. Being the early-morning type, I was there, met with the witnesses, got my odo check, forms signed, and was out of there in fifteen minutes for start receipt. Once I learned is wasn't intended to be a group ride (ride your ride...), I was gone in a flash. Early stops were quick, but as the day wore on, and having to don rain gear, I was losing time...or so I thought.

I found out later only one other rider that was 2-up had completed the ride. The third rider out had terminated their ride when the weather turned really bad a bit later that early morning.

Flappy

Premier Member
Hey folks,

And upon further reflection it might be a bit too much elephant to digest all at once. Maybe the original looped route I had planned originally taking me to Montana and back might be far more attainable. Not canceling my SW trip but passing on the stress of trying to make mileage in the dark will make things FAR more enjoyable I would imagine.

It might make a better 1500 as one could do that one way with some modifications but it seems that most of you recommend the shorter ss1k for a first attempt and who am I to question those that have gone before?

I do NOT however, think it will be easy whichever way one attains one. I have as I say spent up to 18 hours on my current mount in dual sport conditions dodging the mighty elkosauruses out on gravel but that's a very different environment where my BD lights are legal. Not so in the areas where they frequent by the pavement and which I will have to navigate at speed to qualify for the ss1k or any other recognized 1st attempt. I might get away with using them on more rural routes but on the interstate they're an immediate burn by LE. Which sucks as I literally feel blind when I have to turn them off, but then that's part of the spice now, isn't it?

Additionally the looped route makes sense from a purely practical point as well, SB 878 which as of January, 2016 made it legal to stand while riding in Oregon. A fact that as a dirt bike rider I take full advantage of. I spend probably about 30-40 percent of my time standing, even on pavement so I'll feel free to do so anywhere in Oregon. Prevents DVT and all sorts of clot related issues for older guys and is just good practice anyways as it relieves a lot of stress being able to stretch out on the bike at will. Plus, being on the shorter SS1k as a roundabout will please my Wife I'm sure. Not nearly so much to go wrong as duration and distance are considerably reduced and I'm home in one day. Not that the ss1k will be a cake walk, things appear very "different" shall we say after a while in the saddle. The best example I've ever seen is "Mouse" McCoy after iron manning the Baja 1000 solo in the movie Dust to Glory. Now he was in another realm altogether after that, but you can see the deterioration of his faculties as the race went on. And for sure distance endurance riding is taxing upon the faculties to an extreme that I'm hoping not to underestimate, but to not acknowledge so would be foolhardiness and one should plan for failures as well.

So thanks folks for all the advice, I really appreciate it. I only began riding again after a long time away which I've come to find out was a mistake. So I'm trying to make up for all the rides I missed out on over the years due to different priorities taking over my life for the last 30 some odd years, typical story I'm sure.

Scott Parish

Premier Member
Sounds like a sensible decision. The first of any category ride I attempt is always a little more stressful because of the unknown. The most common challenge I face before each ride is getting enough or any sleep for that matter. If you plan an early start and are not used to getting up at a certain time; you might want to adjust your sleep/wake pattern a couple of days prior to departure. As for lighting - have you thought about adding a dimmer which would enable you to use your BD lights at a lower setting? https://ledrider.com/shop/?model_number=IQ-275 Good luck and remember the three cardinal rules #1 get home safely, #2 plan your ride and ride your plan, and #3 have fun.

Scott

BMWguy

IBA Member
I agree with Scott...
...and, there's no shame in bailing out and restarting on another day when you feel more rested.
I've never had to do that - yet... but I'm getting older and the ground is a lot farther away now than it used to be!! LOL
Plus - I don't get over aches and pains like my son does at 34 yrs old. I figure I have a few more rides left in me, but will pass the torch to some younger folks when the time comes.
I worked hard to retire and I plan on enjoying that walking around - not in a wheel chair. But - tomorrow is never promised!
Motorcycling, as we all know, is already a risky business - worn out and sleepy is NOT conducive to a safe trip.