Question about cert wait times

igneouss

Premier Member
I submitted 2 applications for certs on 9/23/20. Wait times are what they are. But is it possible to get some sort of confirmation that the applications were correctly submitted and are under review?

Thanks!

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Because of the very large volume of mail we receive, I'm afraid we can't provide status. We would contact you if there is a problem.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

I have the same concern. Is there any way to know if my SS & BB submission was received? I sent my package back in November but I have not heard anything. I see that it can take 2-3 months for a response but the way the mail is i am concerned if you even received it. Help!

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Because of the very large volume of mail we receive, I'm afraid we can't confirm receipt nor provide status. For future reference, the rules advise "If you are concerned we received your documents and live in the U.S., we recommend "Delivery Confirmation" (a 35 cent product offered by the Post Office that allows you to track a letter or package via an 800 number, e-mail or the internet)." If you submitted via email, we should have it.

Right now, it can take about 16 weeks for us to complete a verification.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Are you doing a copy/paste of this on every thread you can find?
That's right, in a few that I could find. Is that an issue to let people know about a long existing problem that is ignored despite the fact that help was offered numerous times?
Glad I'm not the only one who noticed.
I didn't try to hide it )
Of the 8 posts from this person, seven were this. The first was a complaint about waiting five months for an SS1600k cert.
Right again, but, again, is that a problem?

My "long rides"-related activity (organizing trips, creating routes, explaining to and encouraging young riders) lies outside of this forum, due to the simple fact that it doesn't covered geographically (and not everyone speaks English). And I prefer to discuss such matters in private, unless it becomes bigger and impacts larger population - exactly what I did for the past ~2.5 years.

If you want, we can discuss the "waiting time" problem here ) Where do you want to start from?

Last edited:

Firstpeke

I believe there are nearly 80,000 members of the IBA, if we consider that the majority of these, maybe 60,000 in the USA and that maybe 10% no longer actively ride, that would potentially leave 54,000 riders... of whom maybe 10% carry out rides every year.... so that would be over 5,000 certifiable rides per annum.....

There may be a wait, even if it is a long time, so patience may need to be exercised.

Is it SO important to get that piece of paper that you want to annoy folks on here by post bombing other folks threads, or could you simply email IBA admin, or even Mike Kneebone himself if you want to go up the food-chain to get a response?

So if there has been a long wait, take the correct route to enquire and take note of others on here who have already advised that there is a long delay in having your ride certified.

Please.

Last edited:
could you simply email IBA admin, or even Mike Kneebone himself if you want to go up the food-chain to get a response?
Did that several times over the past two and a half years, Ira and Mike, PMs and emails.
So if there has been a long wait, take the correct route to enquire and take note of others on here who have already advised that there is a long delay in having your ride certified.
Please share how long did you wait for your certification, I'm just curious.

Firstpeke

I am in the UK and therefore our rides are verified IN the UK.

It's relevant to know where you are so we know where your rides are verified.... if not in the USA., or the UK.

Getting all angry and post bombing is helping no one, including yourself.

You do realise that almost everyone in the IBA apart from possibly a very small number of folks, are volunteers.... members... who have a life outside riding their bike and IBA stuff.