Quickest Route for a 48-10

I believe this to be the quickest route to complete a 48-10. The route provides for obtaining a receipt in all 48 contiguous states. It is 6,895 miles.

The starting point is a Wal-Mart Supercenter in College Place, WA. The finishing point is a gas station in White River Junction, VT.

Part I: https://goo.gl/maps/bHqm1FtH2zD2
Part II: https://goo.gl/maps/hFJ3YtshtdS2
Part III: https://goo.gl/maps/W6p51azjnQC2

Every point is a gas station, EXCEPT:

Wyoming: Madison Campground in the Wyoming portion of Yellowstone National Park (A fee is required to enter the park, which will have to be paid in Montana. That can be the Montana receipt.) The campground sells firewood and accepts credit cards, but it is NOT open for firewood sales 24 hours a day.

Colorado: Frontier Bank (24-hour ATM) in Walsh, Colorado.

Minnesota: I had to put the waypoint about a mile east of the gas station, to get Google Maps to route it correctly.

Michigan: The Hampton Inn in Sturgis, Michigan.

Florida: The Piggly Wiggly Supermarket in Escambia County, Florida south of Atmore, AL. (NOT open 24 hours a day.) Ph.(850)327-4001.

Chuck

Last edited:
Hi Chuck,
Have you mapped this in Basecamp or MapSource?
Could you post or share the .gpx file?
Planning the 48+ in June and this is an interesting option to what I have planned.
Thanks
Bruce

Steve Bracken

Premier Member
The only caveat with that route is that you end up on the opposite side of the country to where you started. For most of us, the total miles ridden from home to home would be relatively high with a route like that.

The plus side is that it makes the actual 48/10 that much easier. A roughly circular route can work well, and has entry points for most of us, depending on where we live;

Here is mine and it is 7293 miles:

48-10 Route.jpg

Steve Bracken

Premier Member
Do you have to take a pic at every state sign, or get a receipt in every state?
A receipt in every state, and start/finish witnesses. Receipts have to show full address of location, including the state. Your start receipt that sets the clock going will probably also be your first state. Mine was in Idabel, Oklahoma with the last one in Gallup, New Mexico nine days later.

I tried to get the "Welcome to State" signs too. I think I managed about 44 out of the 48. Some were inaccessible, like Illinois which was high on a gantry above about six lanes of traffic.

rodneyw71

KLR'er
Premier Member
A receipt in every state, and start/finish witnesses. Receipts have to show full address of location, including the state. Your start receipt that sets the clock going will probably also be your first state. Mine was in Idabel, Oklahoma with the last one in Gallup, New Mexico nine days later.

I tried to get the "Welcome to State" signs too. I think I managed about 44 out of the 48. Some were inaccessible, like Illinois which was high on a gantry above about six lanes of traffic.
I've been by the one in Illinois, how did you get the pic in that much traffic? I'm doing the team strange election tour and have 0 state signs because I'm afraid to pull over in traffic, do you get a IBA rally flag to do the 48/10?

Steve Bracken

Premier Member
I've been by the one in Illinois, how did you get the pic in that much traffic? I'm doing the team strange election tour and have 0 state signs because I'm afraid to pull over in traffic, do you get a IBA rally flag to do the 48/10?
I didn't get the Illinois sign.

No flag, just receipts and witness forms. SPOT track also helps a lot, makes it easy for the verifying peeps to see your whole route

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Do you have to take a pic at every state sign, or get a receipt in every state?
I'm not sure why in the world anyone would contemplate doing such a ride without actually reading the ride rules. Take the "Rides and Rules" link from the IBA home page, then the link to the 48-10. This question is clearly answered.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

rodneyw71

KLR'er
Premier Member
Sorry, I'm not planning this ride, I've never looked at it, the map is way different than I pictured, do i didn't read the rules, just was curious

R

Roy Kjendal

I'll be starting my 48/10 in June. It's a one-way trip and will be ending in the NW, starting in the NE. It's about 7300 miles.
upload_2016-5-7_18-9-4.png

ravenranger

22798 now 580
Premier Member
IBR Finisher