Rally Log Book Question

Howdy Folks!

I am new to the Rally scene. I am riding in my first one (NiitWit 2019) in a few weeks, and I am looking for some answers.

What are you logging during your rally? How? On what form?

ODO mileage, time of day, lat/long, fuel receipt, food, rest, etc.?

What and how are you logging? Would you share a copy of your log forms?

Thanks!

Jim McCrain

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
The rally book will contain all information necessary and any rally-specific requirements.

Typically, it'll be a rally flag and the use of a camera to prove you were where you said you were.

cacomly

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
To add to Ken's comment, there are two ways bonus stops are typically logged. On is a bonus claim form where you record every bonus, and the other is directly in the rally book.

Information varies, but it's usually bonus ID, date, time, and odometer. Rest is considered a bonus and is logged in the same manner as others except you may need to log start and end.

But in any case the info is provided in the rally book. If you have any questions, ask at the rally when given the opportunity to do so.

Gerry Arel

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Have fun Jim!

Once you get the rally information ... read it all 2x ... then ask about anything that seems unclear.
Each rally has it own particulars, so be sure that you have everything you need when you set out. Something that seems completely easy and logical before you start can seem really tricky when you're 1200 miles in :D

One tip since you asked about the log sheet - I always make extra copies and keep a few in a ziplock. I write scribbly while on the road so I always appreciate having a clean (and dry) copy to rewrite my log on before scoring. I know the scorers also appreciate it as well

cacomly

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
...One tip since you asked about the log sheet - I always make extra copies and keep a few in a ziplock. I write scribbly while on the road so I always appreciate having a clean (and dry) copy to rewrite my log on before scoring. I know the scorers also appreciate it as well
I did that once, and transposed a bonus identifier for the largest bonus in the rally, 6,000 points. Gone! Poof! No more!

I no longer rewrite log sheets for that reason. I try to keep them as neat as possible but they do get dirt smudges on them over the course of the rally, and I may cross out a line or two if I make a mistake. So far the scorers have been ok with one exception, in the 2015 IBR I lost 10 or 20 points for a "messy" score sheet because I crossed out something.

Also note that each rally is different. The Void which Gerry and I just completed requires you to do your paperwork "on the clock" I got in with 15 minutes to spare and would not have had time to recopy my score sheet/log sheet

But, each of us are different and as you gain experience you will learn what works for you