Rally Master Brit Butt Rally 2017

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I'm pleased to announce that Steve Eversfield has agreed to be your rally Master for 10th annual Brit Butt Rally in 2017

Steve is a veteran of three Iron Butt Rallies in 1999, 2001, 2003 (he finished 11th in 2001)
He has also competed in several UK rallies including the Brit Butt Rally.

If you think your previous Rally Master were devious, wait and see what Steve comes up with.

It will certainly be a new challenge.

I would like to thank John for the last two years and Chris and Bev for the last 5 years.

FJRPilot

Brit Butt Rallymaster RBLR1000 routemaster
Premier Member
IBA Member
Good luck Steve it will be good to see another IBR veteran take up the reins. Just consider dropping all this silly nonsense with bits of string, balloons, shopping lists, and complicated finish procedures :p

It would be good to get back to planning a ride and just riding it. Even though all the past rallies have still been great fun of course :rolleyes: :D

Last edited:

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
and Chris McGaffin for giving birth to the Brit Butt Rally

Good luck Steve. Lots of Work ahead !
Ok Chris I'll thank you again and of course our Past President Pete West who took over from you. So Steve will be our 5th rally master in 10 rallies keeping it always fresh and presenting new challenges.

Slight change of subject but as this is the tenth running of the BBR could not an olive branch be offered to Grim to join for this auspicious event? With Grim having won it six times I would like to see the latest winners, John and Roberto, as well as the rest of the field get a true measure of their performance in this event against a proven and accomplished BBR competitor.

Please note I am not criticising or judging any decisions taken by management regarding Grim and IBA, but suggest this olive branch, if offered, may enhance this upcoming BBR and it can really be celebrated for what it is and represents.

Be lucky, Iain

Last edited:
Slight change of subject but as this is the tenth running of the BBR could not an olive branch be offered to Grim to join for this auspicious event? With Grim having won it six times I would like to see the latest winners, John and Roberto, as well as the rest of the field get a true measure of their performance in this event against a proven and accomplished BBR competitor.

Please note I am not criticising or judging any decisions taken by management regarding Grim and IBA, but suggest this olive branch, if offered, may enhance this upcoming BBR and it can really be celebrated for what it is and represents.

Be lucky, Iain
Great idea bring back the best rider this rally will ever see.
Gerald

Quill4

Brit Butt Rallymaster
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
FYI, no strings, no balloons, no pineapples, and no GPS's, paper map and compass only.

Just kidding about the maps.

John Young

Triumph Triple expert.
Good luck to the new rally master.

Having read the various comments (in this thread and others), heard what people have said and indeed done some "soul-searching" of my own, I have to conclude that on balance my two rallies have not achieved the desired results - either what I wanted to achieve or indeed what rallyists seem to want.

Every aspect of the two rallies (okay apart from the silly 3D glasses prank) were included for a specific reason (at least as far as I was concerned), be it for "challenge" purposes (last minute "bombshells") or from a "safety" issue (mileage limits / targets). It is clear that either this is not universally desired and/or has not been communicated properly as to the reasons.

Setting a long distance road rally that has any "finishing order" to it is fraught with potential problems. I've given it my best shot and appear not to have come up with an answer. Maybe a new approach and fresh ideas might achieve that

John

John
cant please all of the people all of the time - There have been a lot of positives from your rallies info given out early is a big one although you do like surprises later on - simplifying controls info and recording / scoring again plus for me.. I could go on but in the end you did a good job.

John,

By the amount of moaning, grumbling etc. from the participants I think you have to say the Rallies were successful. If they'd all come in smiling and laughing true failure.

Mike

FJRPilot

Premier Member
IBA Member
Every rally is a success because those that choose to enter will always have two days of riding experiences not gained anywhere else in the UK. Bits of string and different requirements before during and after the rally are what make those experiences memorable. Even if riders don't think so at the time :rolleyes:

With each new rally master comes new ideas and as we're all human different approaches are to be expected. As with most voluntary things it is the organisers and helpers that make these events so special so any jibes and banter should be taken in the spirit it's (probably) intended.

And lastly I'd like to say how much I've always liked Chris, John, and now Steve too :p ;) :D (and before that Chris & Pete too).

Grim

IBA Member
Great idea bring back the best rider this rally will ever see.
Gerald
Thanks for the comments from scooterboy and pan which were brought to my attention. I am sure your overtures are not welcomed by the petit bourgeoisie in charge (as evidenced by the lack of response to your suggestion!). You also assume I would be interested in taking part in the dumbed down shadow of the original idea the BBR became in recent years; this is not the case. I left it in anger but look on it with sorrow that it, and IBA UK was put into the hands of those without vision or integrity.

Scott Miller

An American in Europe
Premier Member
Good luck to the new rally master.

Having read the various comments (in this thread and others), heard what people have said and indeed done some "soul-searching" of my own, I have to conclude that on balance my two rallies have not achieved the desired results - either what I wanted to achieve or indeed what rallyists seem to want.

Every aspect of the two rallies (okay apart from the silly 3D glasses prank) were included for a specific reason (at least as far as I was concerned), be it for "challenge" purposes (last minute "bombshells") or from a "safety" issue (mileage limits / targets). It is clear that either this is not universally desired and/or has not been communicated properly as to the reasons.

Setting a long distance road rally that has any "finishing order" to it is fraught with potential problems. I've given it my best shot and appear not to have come up with an answer. Maybe a new approach and fresh ideas might achieve that

John
As someone not involved in the internal politics of the IBA UK - and only having been part of the last three BBR - I have thoroughly enjoyed each one. I get the chance to ride around a beautiful country and get to know other like-minded riders. Speaking English no less!

I am looking forward to the 2017 rally with all the anticipated "unique aspects" provided by its rally master.

FJRPilot

Premier Member
IBA Member
As someone not involved in the internal politics of the IBA UK - and only having been part of the last three BBR - I have thoroughly enjoyed each one. I get the chance to ride around a beautiful country and get to know other like-minded riders. Speaking English no less!

I am looking forward to the 2017 rally with all the anticipated "unique aspects" provided by its rally master.
Hear Hear :)

I've already started ticking off a few things on my 'things to do before the BBR 2017' list :rolleyes:

Roll on May :D

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I met with our Rally Master Steve (Quill4) at the weekend.
The rally book is there with just a couple of things to finalise.

With a new Rally Master you can rest assured that this will be a rally different to all the others.

There will be a different take but it will still be basically;
Ride to Places you have not been to before
Take a picture of a bonus to collect points
There will be a sleep bonus which will not be compulsory but points structure will mean you will not want to miss it.
There will be no gimmicks.

When Steve asked me what I thought of the Rally Book I said that I though it was simple for Rookies to understand but also a challenge for the Veterans; an ideal scenario.