RAT Follett & BDR

Lanval

IBA Member
For those who have been there, done it, and got the tee shirt, where did you get a DBR in Follett TX, or can you get a picture outside of the Post Office? Main street now looks like it has a gas stop, but is empty otherwise.

Thanks

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Haven't been there, but right across the street from the post office is:

Irma's Country Store
102 S Main St, Follett, TX 79034
(806) 653-2023
9AM–5PM

I'd give them a call and see if someone can tell you if their receipt has the required info. Be prepared to explain politely and carefully that the receipt needs the address of the business, the date and time on it.

Maybe the bank down the street has an outside ATM. Any idea what time/day you expect to be there? M-F Nana's Cafe is another option. http://nanascafetx.com/

I couldn't determine if the Interbank had a 24 Hr ATM or not. You'd have to call and find out.
241 Main Street
Follett, TX 79034
806-653-2611

Last edited:

Lanval

IBA Member
In for a penny, in for a pound as the Brits like to say, so why not.

There are two rides that I'm really thinking of doing, 100CCC as I'm in MiddleTN, the trip back is so close to Jacksonville, about 9 hours, I might as well just go for it. And the RAT. I might even consider giving up on the 100CCC and making it a 50CC, and on the way home do a RAT. But I have big dreams, which take a while to materialize, or I wake up one morning and it just happens.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
You got me looking at it. So, it's about 3100 miles. Starting in Texarkana and going the standard clockwise direction, I figure three days. I like to start at 0300 to 0400 and not ride more than a couple of hours after dark when I'm starting to ebb. Quick and dirty route I came up with is this:

Day 1 - https://goo.gl/maps/oYCFvaBpVTGXgzxdA (likely stay over night at a hotel close to the start, but start the clock at the Quick Stop.)

Day 2 - https://goo.gl/maps/Z7N6Cr4TPaQWjMop8 (longer day, but no ferry or other oddness to slow me down.)

Day 3 - https://goo.gl/maps/dc3PDDozZ29trsqPA (another long day, but off the clock at the end, then off to the same hotel I started the adventure at.)

Ideally off the bike by 10 pm and back on after 3-4 hours of actual sleep and a good shower. Eat mostly on the bike, though maybe a lunch at Nana's Cafe in Follett on the last day, depending on timing. I typically sleep in 3 hour cycles and wake up refreshed w/o setting an alarm. (I can go back to sleep for another 3, or just get up. 25 years of night shift work.) I've rallied on a tighter schedule, doing 20 on, 4 off, 3 of sleep and repeating for multiple days. The rhythm works for me. (now if I could just route better! :D )

Last edited:

JP Handley

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I’ve been waiting to do a RAT for almost three weeks now. The bigger issue than a receipt in Follet is that Big Bend NP is closed even to thru traffic. Should be opening up in June for day use. Does that mean the thru road will be open to obtain the Panther Junction picture? Will the park road be open during the day only? Time will only tell when I will feel confident that there will be no issues traveling the park.

JP Handley

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Copied from the NP web page.

The park will remain closed to the public through the month of May. Park managers are planning a cautious and phased increase in access to maintain employee, visitor, and local community safety, and to avoid overwhelming limited and distant regional medical health services. If supported by the recommendations of the public health professionals at federal, state, and local levels, Big Bend’s plan could begin with the following facilities and operations open for day use in early June:

• Scenic driving and bicycling along all paved park roads.
  • Selected frontcountry trails for day hiking.
  • Rio Grande day float trips from paved road access points.
  • Panther Junction Gas Station and camp store.
  • Chisos Mountains Lodge restaurant for take-out meals only.
  • Fossil Discovery Exhibit.
  • Restroom facilities.
"Big Bend National Park is 100 miles from the nearest hospital, and while the park community has fortunately been disease-free, the public health consultants we are working with remain concerned about the vulnerability of employees, residents, and visitors should anyone become symptomatic with COVID-19 while in the park,” said Big Bend National Park Superintendent Bob Krumenaker.

Lanval

IBA Member
I need 6 hours of sleep, and then good to go. Can do this over multiple days.

@CVO James Fortunately for me, by the time I get around to this, the Covid problem I hope will be gone. Right now it does put a damper on making the run.

Tim Harkins

Premier Member
You might give my RAT ride report a read. It’s titled “ possibly my last insanity ride”. Though I did get a BBG done 10 days ago. Look for my RAT novel under Ride and Certificate reports. Good luck.

Gerry Arel

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
For those who have been there, done it, and got the tee shirt, where did you get a DBR in Follett TX, or can you get a picture outside of the Post Office? Main street now looks like it has a gas stop, but is empty otherwise.

Thanks
In 2017 we used Imo's Country store ... across from the Post Office. Address is 104 South Main St. I still have my receipts! I got there just after 7pm and they were open but I believe the pump are 24/7. May want to call just in case.

My 2 cents is that I'd ride the river road from Lajitas to Presidio in the daylight as that was a great road and i really enjoyed it.

Russ Black

Premier Member
I live in the Houston Area, and as such, had planned for this to be my first Ironbutt ride a few years ago. Since it requires that you possess some other Ironbutt award first, I did the National Parks Master Travelers Basic and Silver (26k+ vs 3K...) instead as my first ironbutt awards. In the meantime, I have reconnoitered most of the roads for this award verifing my data. I plan on doing this sometime this summer. I'm retired and can go at any time... and that is the problem... too many options to choose from.