RAT route question

Hi all,

I am planning my RAT ride. IBA rules state that I can take any route between specified points as long as I stay within the state of Texas. The map on the IBA RAT webpage (and spotwalla links posted by many riders who have already done this ride) shows a slightly different route than Google maps between Del Rio and South Padre Island.

IBA RAT webpage seems to stick to Hwy 83 most of the way to South Padre Island, while Google maps shows 83/44/339/141/77.

While the IBA route truly goes around the periphery of Texas, the route recommended by Google seems to save me about half hour (that's half hour of extra sleep!! Or could mean the difference between regular and Gold).

Am wondering if that’s going to be a problem?? I hope not because it DOES fit within the stated RAT rules. But just want to be sure. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Ani.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Actually, the rules specify you must stay within the state of Texas AND document a series of checkpoints in order. Other than that, as the rules state, you can take any route you wish. So it doesn't matter what route you take between those two checkpoints as long you you hit them in order.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association