RBLR 1000 2022

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Today I sent £2450 to the RBLR Treasurer.
It is the sponsorship donated on entry from the 1st 80 riders
Entries coming in quicker now
We need 400 to beat the World record for the most 1000 miles in the same day.

Capt Sisko

Hi All, Last year I did the 500 and having enjoyed that I'm planning do the 1,000 North this year. Great I hear you say, but the question for me is now clockwise or anti-clockwise? Looking at the stats clockwise seems more popular; is there any particular reason why? So far my thoughts have ranged from services, motorway boredom, particularly at night and hotels vs camping to what to wear and take with me.

In terms of services, whilst the A1 south has plenty of options for 24hr fuel stations it's my experience (of being out of the road as a rep) that a lot of these A road ‘services’ are no more that just petrol stations with a shop, whereas the M74 & M6 route has proper services at regular intervals. For me the advantage of the latter is that at whatever o'clock at night is, they have somewhere to sit down and properly rest up if needed. Or am I barking completely up the wrong tree here?

As for the long run back, obviously a fair chunk of that will be in the dark. Is an easy run down an empty(ish) motorway, but with all the monotony that goes with it preferable to an A road route that at least features the odd roundabout.

What are the thoughts of the more seasoned pros?

Last edited:

Ahamay

The Joker
IBA Member
Having done north both ways that awful drag north from Squires M62, M61, M6, M74 is best got out of the way first (clockwise) the ride Ft William to JoG A82, A9,A99 is a good ride refuel at wick and head south and do it again you can stop at Inverness there is a 24 hr BP garage.
South from Inverness it is a better ride at 2 am when you are cold and at your lowest ebb.

JohnR

Mr. QR code
IBA Member
Welcome Capt Sisko and good luck in your first attempt at a SS1000. For my two penneth I've done all four routes and north clockwise is my preferred choice and my route choice for 2022. The north anticlockwise route could see you riding alongside Loch Lomond after dark, although there is an alternative and quicker route by staying on the A85 to Dunblane and picking up the M9 which avoids Loch Lomond and Glasgow.

North clockwise is a good choice for your first attempt, if its raining I follow the Glasgow/Loch Lomond bypass route of M73, M80, M9 A84, A85 & A82 to Fort William. Fuel, refreshment and rest stops if required are plentiful. M6 J43 Carlisle Tesco and/or M74 J10 Lesmahagow Tesco are as close to the motorway as the service areas and with a £3 meal deal its a win win saving on fuel and food.

For a first attempt I'd stay on the motorways as much as possible. Last year I detoured off for some site seeing and after Inverness I took the tourist route across Cairngorms National Park to Perth. Riding the southern part of the A93 after dark wasn't the best idea I've had and all in all the detours etc added about 4 hours to my riding time which made me last back to Squires with a riding time of 23 hours.

Happy days nontheless

Firstpeke

I was hoping to do the RBLR this year but had already booked my tour to Norway and I will be getting ready for that....

Hopefully next year!!!

Ian M

each to their own

but the sun going slowly going down as you leave Glasgow, wend your way through the Clyde valley, cross no mans land (Solway) into the Lake District and then Morecambe Bay and the Irish sea opens out in front of you as you reach Lancaster, cruise on, little traffic, with naughty thoughts of the wife is not a bad way to finish the third quarter, the crap bit from Preston to Leeds is soon over.