RBLR 2019 15/16 June (10th running)

Dave Rose

In 2019 I'd like to do the Southern Route again but Anti-Clockwise this time.
However, my wife is objecting saying I shouldn't be doing this sort of thing at my age (I'll be 70 in November 2018), she thinks I'm infirm and probably a bit mental!!!!
What I'd like to assure her of is that I would be with either someone else during the run or a small group.

Would anyone else be willing to ride with me just to put her mind at rest? I'd like to do it anyway but I don't want to give her undue worry for no reason.

I'd be looking to complete in a much shorter time than the 23h 45m in 2018, too long spent at the refuelling stops.

Cheers
Dave Rose.

Last edited:
Hi all,

Looking forward to doing this on a Bonnie. A while to go, but I guess the planning starts now. I haven't really decided much at all at this point. Initially thought about a southern route, but looking at some of the pictures of the northern route, that definitely looks like an option too..

Ahamay

The Joker
IBA Member
All what you said plus the southern routes are overcrowded plus the southern routes pass my house too tempting to nip home for a brew, i do the north clock wise to get that looong motorway drag done while you are still fresh

Last edited:

GarminDave

Ex-Arkwright
Premier Member
However, my wife is objecting saying I shouldn't be doing this sort of thing at my age (I'll be 70 in November 2018), she thinks I'm infirm and probably a bit mental!!!!
What I'd like to assure her of is that I would be with either someone else during the run or a small group.

Would anyone else be willing to ride with me just to put her mind at rest? I'd like to do it anyway but I don't want to give her undue worry for no reason.

I'd be looking to complete in a much shorter time than the 23h 45m in 2018, too long spent at the refuelling stops.

Cheers
Dave Rose.
Hi Dave,

I see you have no takers to be your career for the ride! I also see you are from South Shields!

Well, I'm 67 and have a worrit Geordie Wife too. I have just done 14 days on the bike to Prague and up to Jonkoping in Sweden, 3,500 miles all by myself. For marital harmony, I stopped whisking blood products overnight from the RVI in Newcastle to Great Ormond Street in London on the hurry up!

I'm sorry to say I do not do IBA Certified Rides anymore because being retired I need to spend my petrol money more wisely but I did find a way to reassure SWMBO buy setting up a free to use tracker on my bike and she follows me in real time as I enjoy my adventures. She knows where I am (but not what I'm doing of course) however she does feel reassured and always asks me to switch on SWConnect (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/swconnect/id815905559) and SpotWalla (https://spotwalla.com/). This may offer you a solution?

Love, light, and kindness,

Dave

GraemeandSally

RBLR 1000
Premier Member

Cheers
Dave Rose.
We have within the IBA a good few riders that are around the same age as yourself so long as you know when to call a halt that is ok but a few live tracking system are available a few of us use a Spot tracker and Spotwalla

Dave Rose, my partner in crime is on holiday, and there is still a lot in the air really, especially which route we do. But personally, I think it would be great to ride with someone who has some experience in this kind of thing.

The only things are, we haven't committed yet, or planned, and I have about tank range of about 110 miles, so I can't commit to anything yet.

Personally though, I think riding with someone of your experience would be absolutely invaluable.

Aitch

Just signed up.
Having just recently discovered Teapotone - I noticed he did a vid of the 2018 RBLR1000. You've probably already seen - I'm a bit slow on the uptake of these things sometimes..