RBLR1000

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
The £50 of sponsorship is a suggested minimum.WE don'tmonitor it but expect that riders will want to raise that amount

Hello

Route selection - I would far rather do the northern loop and figure that the clockwise presents less risk of traffic due to getting through the lakes earlyish. However, reading the notes it seems I'm not the only one to think like this - are there likely to be enough people going this way to create congestion at fuel stations etc?

Ahamay

The Joker
IBA Member
Did North anti-clock twice now never seen more than 4-5 in one fuel stop,
if you don't like it give your self 15-20 mins after they have gone you wont see them again.
Thought i would give Clock wise a go this year.

FJRPilot

Brit Butt Rallymaster RBLR1000 routemaster
Premier Member
IBA Member
Hello Route selection - I would far rather do the northern loop and figure that the clockwise presents less risk of traffic due to getting through the lakes earlyish. However, reading the notes it seems I'm not the only one to think like this - are there likely to be enough people going this way to create congestion at fuel stations etc?
I've gone north in both directions and prefer the clockwise route so I get the boring motorways out of the way first thing while I'm still fresh. Coming down the A1 back to Squires as it gets dark doesn't seem as bad as the long haul back down the M74, M6, then across the M62.

In the early days of the event the only fuel station congestion was at Birch Services first thing. This was the first receipt point for both the NC and SAC routes so lots of riders piled into the fuel station and overwhelmed the poor lass on the till. During the first one in 2009 me and a mate used the M&S shop in the services and bought ourselves a sandwich for lunch so didn't get caught up in the fuel station congestion.

As Birch westbound services is now only used for the NC route we now have a small team of volunteers who wait in the car park and they will sign riders logs instead of having to get a receipt. My experience over the years has been that quite a few riders going in this direction seem to have their first fuel stops at least as far north as Penrith, Carlisle or beyond along the M74.

As John has said you might well come across a few riders here and there depending when and where you stop. The mostly likely places you'll meet others will be at the receipt locations but as the day goes on there will only ever be a few so it's never usually a problem. Plus it's always nice to meet up with other participants and exchange pleasantries. :)

GraemeandSally

RBLR 1000
Premier Member
Hello

Route selection - I would far rather do the northern loop and figure that the clockwise presents less risk of traffic due to getting through the lakes earlyish. However, reading the notes it seems I'm not the only one to think like this - are there likely to be enough people going this way to create congestion at fuel stations etc?
Birch Service is the normal bottle neck in the morning so we have a team ready to sign you in so you don't need to go in and get a recept

Ahamay

The Joker
IBA Member
I got the flyers which i put on the tables in the restaurant at the Ministry of Defence where i work.
I got some feedback about the way it is worded, the emphasis on the one thousand miles in 24 hours on the front and it only mentions the five hundred miler on the back in small print is putting some people off on initial viewing the people i spoke to said that it should be on the front so that potential entry's can see there is an easier alternative.
Having said that if you can send me some more i will put them out again as this is the ideal target audience, about 30-40 this time thanks.

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
John very few riders took up the 500 mile ride last year. They were mostly riders who had already ridden the RBLR1000!
As IBA I would rather encourage riders to ride the 1000 miles which is a real achievment outside their normal comfort Zone

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Don't get me wrong I have no problem with including the 500 miler. Just saying there isnt much demand for it.

Ahamay

The Joker
IBA Member
Pm sent, the only reason that there is not much demand for the 500 miler is not enough publicity for it IMO.
As GraemeandSally said in post 32 4 did the 500 and two are back for the 1000 if more more people know there is a 500 mile starter to get a taste for distance riding this can not only benefit the RBLR also the IBAUK

I was one of those that did the 500 mile last year, as I have already done three 1,000 mile days, and to be honest I raised just as much doing the 500 miles.
It was far more relaxing and I didn't miss all those motorway miles one bit! For anyone who has never done the 1,000 miles I would say go for it, it is a massive sense of achievement rolling into Squires with all those kind people applauding you in!! I have to agree with the comments regarding the lack of advertising of the 500 miles, if it was promoted more I reckon it would have a greater take up.

Dave Rose

Hi Phil,

Just wondering if any/many of the RBLR1000 riders fly a flag during the ride? Wondering if the drag would make a significant difference.
It would make the point that you are not just another bike rider going to work etc...! HAHAHAHAHAHA
Any pointers would be appreciated.

Cheers
Dave Rose
Flying two flags in this photo but would only use the 'Lest we forget' flag, and lower mast. This was the 2016 Ride to the Wall.

FJRPilot

Brit Butt Rallymaster RBLR1000 routemaster
Premier Member
IBA Member
They're certainly big flags Dave. Some riders often have the smaller legion flags but I've never seen one as big as yours (flags that is :D).

My advice would be to do some trial runs and see how it affects your fuel consumption and/or handling over longish distance :)

Dave Rose

I've got a small pennant (RBLR) that flies permanently but normally these flags (3 x 2 feet) are only on for short periods of maybe a mile or two as we approach a destination.
I usually get 150 miles from a very topped up tank before I have to switch to reserve but don't usually let it get that far. I'll top up when I take a trip over to Lincolnshire soon and see what happens to the mileage.
Just wondered if it was normal for people to carry a flag to show what it was all about.
Thanks for getting back to me.
Cheers

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I agree with Mark.Riding a 1000 mile day is never easy and you dont want to increase the difficulty unecessarily.
I would suggest putting it on the bike whennits parked up and taking it off a few miles up the road then replacing it as you return.

Your bike will have the ride stickers/poppies on and you will have your patches so I'm sure you'll stand out anyway

Dave Rose

Ref the discussion above about people doing the 500 mile route - Reason I'm doing it is that I am new to long distance riding and need to see if my gammy thumb joints will stand up to it, and to see if I have an 'iron butt' come to that!!
If this goes well I'll be up for the 1000 ride next year.