Recap 2021

2020 as with many LD riders was not a good year. It was exceptionally bad for our family.

In 2020 I made it to the Defective Gene Pool RTE in February, then to Jacksonville in March for "The Party" with my 36 year old special needs daughter (some of you may remember her) riding pillion, followed by a visit to relatives in south Florida. On the way to Jacksonville I received a call from my granddaughter (she was in Dallas at the time) that her dad was killed in an auto accident in West Palm, Florida. I am sure it was connected to PTSD since he was in Falluja during the heavy fighting. He had black outs several times.

The return to Dallas, as with many of you, from Jacksonville greeted us with shut downs. We made it home with no issues.

I managed a few short rides in April and May. In June I acquired a stent in one of my arteries then in July I broke my wrist.

In late May The Wife and I were on a cage trip to southeastern Oklahoma when we got a call that my special needs daughter was hit by a car and broke her leg. She recovered. However, when the hospital ran the millions of tests they found she had a carcinoid on her liver and small intestine. We got that taken care of and she is doing OK. Then during her routine eye exam we found out she had very fast growing cataracts. We got that taken care of.

So now we are in November 2020. My motorcycle riding was in the pits. I had great plans for the year which included the Trans Labrador Highway. Basically since Jacksonville of 2020 I had no real riding. I had to make up for it in 2021.

December 2020, the Winter Solstice popped up. I said this is my rebirth! I made a Texas Winter Solstice ride. Man, did it ever feel good. A few more short rides followed. In March I got my Covid shot the day I left for Jacksonville and The Party. This time I was solo. Before returning home I made my usual trip to south Florida to visit some favorite relatives before heading home to Big D.

Well, March is known not only for the IBA Party but the Spring Equinox. Those certificates are pretty. I dusted off my old trusty 144,000 mile veteran Honda VTX 1300R and did a Texas Spring Equinox ride. Wow, another enjoyable ride.

A few more short rides and the Father's Day Summer Solstice was on the horizon. Yep, why not do a Saddle Sore 3000 to include the Father's Day Summer Solstice. The first 2000 would be in Texas. Plus this would get me closer to the Mile Eater Gold. I know a BB1500 Gold counts but I have difficulty staying awake that long. This one was successful.

I was on a roll to make up for 2020. After a cage trip to northern Michigan with The Boss Lady (aka The Wife) she announced she was flying to Louisville in August for a family thing. I don't care much for airports so I said I would not go, at least by air. Why not a SS3000 by way of Montana to Louisville from Dallas. Sounded logical to me. This would give me another Mile Eater Silver and only one ride away from the Mile Eater Gold. That is what I did. I was surprised that the only issue I had was in Indianapolis. It was a real pain. I have been through there many times without issues. I'm not sure what happened but even my GPS got mixed up. I nailed the SS3000 as an enjoyable ride.

I love to take long trips solo or with friends which may or may not include IBA rides. So in late August two buddies (neither are LD riders) and I rode to northern Arizona and most of the National Parks in Utah. It was a leisure 3000 mile trip in 13 days. I was the tour guide. We all agreed that it was a fantastic trip. That made me feel good since I planned it.

My plan was to do another SS3000 to include the Fall Equinox all in Texas, thus the Four Seasons certificate. It did not happen. My special needs daughter spent almost 6 weeks in hospitals as a result of another broken leg and complications. She is fine now. I had hand surgery on December 27 so no riding until the end of March. 2021 riding ended in September for me.

Oh well, all considered I had a good 2021 riding season. I know for some of you 15,000 miles in 9 months isn't a lot but at 73 as of January 2, I must say it isn't bad.

2022 I plan to be a big year, that is after March because of my hand.