Reconnecting (A SS1600 into Victoria)

Martin Little

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
February already and time to get some more miles under the belt. With the Victorian government advertising “Visit Melbourne” the timing was perfect for a trip to inner Melbourne to catch up with my eldest son. I had set the alarm for 12:30am for a 1:00am departure but I slept through and woke up just after 1, late but feeling refreshed. Collected my starting docket at the ATM and headed out towards the Hume on the Barton Highway.

My starting docket - I need to work on my camera technique!

Joining the Hume, it was surprising how busy it was! Wall to wall semis in both directions. That all changed after the Wagga turn off, where I had the Hume back to myself, the stars came out as the kilometers rolled by. I stopped briefly at Holbrook as I felt the need to stretch my legs and just get off the bike for a few minutes.

This way to Melbourne. The Barton Highway.

Rolling into Melbourne, I stopped on the outskirts to plug the phone in and tap into Google maps for the run through into the inner burbs. Much more reliable than the GPS.

Rest stop on the Hume, somewhere in Victoria

I spent a good 90 minutes catching up with my son and his partner over excellent coffee and breakfast, then it was time to roll. Places to go and people to see! Google guided me out of Melbourne efficiently as I headed for Phillip Island.

Inner Melbourne and the coffee is...excellent. My son did good with the breakfast recommendation

San Remo was my corner docket, and if traffic was Ok I planned to head over the bridge to the Grand Prix circuit for a photo. I had a good run to the Island but weekend traffic was heavy so I pulled the pin on the photo of the Grand Prix circuit option and collected my docket at the servo in San Remo, snapped a photo of the bridge and turned the bike northwards up the coast.

San Remo and the bridge to the Island. Last here in February 2020 for the WSBK, just before the world changed

Rolling into Inverloch, I caught a flash of a bike out of the corner of my eye, was that a police BMW? Nope an older model, and no aux lights on so can’t be a LD Rider. Mistake, it was Phil Morrison who had popped out to join me on the loop past Wilsons Prom. It was great to see Phil after the endless lockdowns, and we had a quick chat on the side of the road. Phil stayed with me as far as Yarram where we waved goodbye, my way was northwards while Phil was returning home.

How cool is this Dude! Onya Phil Morrison!

Saturday afternoon and the run across to Sale and Bairnsdale was uneventful, pleasant temperatures and just ride. Perfect. Drain called twice but I had connection issues with the Bluetooth, so he had the pleasure of the call being answered but to hear only the sound of wind and motorcycle engine. Fail on my part!

Cann River Victoria.

Through Cann River and there were plenty of bikes at the hotel and holiday makers in town. Life getting back to normal. Eden rolled by and on towards Bega, for my last corner docket. Once the I had collected the docket I pointed the bike towards Brown Mountain. The closer I got to the mountain the worst the conditions got. I went from low 20’s in Bega to 10 degrees, cold drizzle and fog which didn’t clear until Nimmitabel. Heated grips were on! I stopped briefly at Nimmitabel to swap gloves and call Pillion Piglet to confirm an ETA. As I rode across the high country, the deepening twilight was sublime, the last of the light washing across the countryside. Awesome.

Having a whale of a time near Bega!

I had promised myself a quick dinner in Cooma (I was starving) my plan to pull into the Maccas drive through and grab a cheeseburger. It was not to be, the drive-in queue was out to the street, so I kept rolling. Rummaging through the tank bank I found half a cliff bar which kept the hunger pangs at bay.

Collecting my finishing docket at my local ATM.

It was pitch black now, with no moon or stars out yet, just the odd car to break the eerie darkness of the Monaro Highway. The lights of Canberra soon came into view and before too long I was back at the ATM to collect my finishing docket. Job done, 1,636kms in just over 20 hours.

Time to park the bike and get some sleep

A great SS1600 Route, with a blend of motorway, inner city and coastal highway. Good times!

Last edited:

Martin Little

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Martin, you did well to finish in just over 20 hours with all the social and sightseeing stops. Weekend traffic in Melbourne and SE Vic also makes it difficult to maintain a respectable ride pace.
It was most enjoyable to ride part of your journey with you.
Thanks Phil,

It was a very pleasant surprise to see your headlights in my mirror! Looking forward to doing more LD riding in 2022!

Tele

Premier Member
Very well ridden again Martin! The K16 is racking up the kilometres .... exactly the purpose for which those great bikes are designed. Another excellent report with the photos to boot. And breakfast with the kids! Ticks all boxes for a great day out.