Return routes for SS rides

Hi folks, I'm starting to put together a SS1000 route and I was wondering what the thoughts are about using the same road for a return trip? For instance I intend to include Thurso in my route with the intent of using the same road from, and then back to Inverness. Likewise I was going to run down the M6 from from Penrith to Preston, turn around at Preston and head back north to Glasgow and onwards from there. See the attached map for the actual route, basically a clockwise loop starting and finishing in Central Scotland. Is this double use of a route acceptable for a certified SS ride?

Thanks

John

Screen Shot 2020-01-11 at 22.27.32.png

Jonnyp

IBA Member
Hi John.

Using the same road is fine as long as you get receipts at the right points. In your case Thurso and then any turnaround points or corners.

If this is your first SS1000, send the full route to Martin Buck - [email protected] and I’m sure he will pre-approve it for you and give you advice on where you need to get receipts

Your route also looks similar to the RBLR1000. Check that out as a pre-approved route..http://rblr1000.co.uk/index.html

Finally, there is a ride to eat next weekend, why not come along and have a chat...;)

Jon

Last edited:

Ian M

why not go across the A59 between the A1 and the trickled trout and square the bottom off
rather than the M6 twice

its scenic and fast, avoid harrogate centre

Thanks for the replies guys, great information for a first timer. Ian, I did look at that the A59 route but I can get a quality rest and a cooked meal at friends in Penrith before the run south and then north again :)

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
When you stop at your friends don't over eat as it will make you tired digesting it.
It's much more important for you to drink than eat.
You won't starve in 24hrs but you will get dehydrated even in cooler temperatures.
Also set a time for the stop and stick to it. Make sure they know you are on a mission with no time to waste. Best of all get your head down for an hour.

When you stop at your friends don't over eat as it will make you tired digesting it.
It's much more important for you to drink than eat.
You won't starve in 24hrs but you will get dehydrated even in cooler temperatures.
Also set a time for the stop and stick to it. Make sure they know you are on a mission with no time to waste. Best of all get your head down for an hour.
That is the plan Phillip, they know what I am doing so it will be a quick chat over a salad and the offer of a bed for an hour.