Ride Around Alabama Submitted

Special Wing

Premier Member
I enjoy looking through the IBA’s “Big Ride List”. I looked at choosing a ride that was not just getting on the interstate and going fast for 1000 miles. I kept looking at different “Ride Around (state or area)”. I wanted something close to home, something that I was not gone days from the house and interesting terrain etc. I looked at my home state of Tennessee but that ride is 1300 miles +/-. Anyway decided on studying the Ride Around Alabama.

I left Nashville Sunday afternoon about 6 pm to head to Athens, AL. This was not one of the mandatory towns you had to visit but it was in the direct path between two mandatory towns. I hope I read the rules correct. The object is to ride the general perimeter of the state, not leave the state, be at least 1000 miles, do it in less than 24 hours, have dated business receipt at the beginning and end ( actually the same place), picture of DBR w odometer and proof with tracking device. I used a Spot 3 device.

I went to Athens, AL to start the next morning at 4 am. I set alarm for 3:15, showered and backed the Wing. I went to 24 hr gas station, got coffee and breakfast sandwich then gassed up getting the start time of 4:01 am. I had taped a “cheat sheet” to side pocket to make sure I got everything done to validate to IBA standards.

First mandatory city was Henegar, AL if you went clockwise. Passing thru Huntsville via interstate there was some traffic but nothing to slow me down.

East of Huntsville is some divided 4 lane state roads and near Henagar it gets hilly with some steep grades and switch back or two in the dark.

Next town to visit was Centre, AL which put me I-59 for short time. I stopped for gas in Piedmont, AL. The sun was up and fairly bright. Past Peidmont I came upon slow traffic on two lane road. I just happened to be scanning few cars ahead and I sat pickup truck use evasive action, slide, dirt flying as traffic came to halt, apparently someone was trying to turn left and apparently the pick up truck not seeing it in time. I was two vehicles and maybe 100 yds back watching it all. Witnessing accidents first hand always make me more diligent with thinking what could I do to not be in that time accident.

I did GPS map thru LaFayette, AL as Google maps was routing to West Point on route that crossed into Georgia. So I planned midpoint city half way to next required city Dothan, AL to stay away from AL/GA line.

Went down close to Auburn, AL where I did a few miles of I-85 then south towards Eufala, AL.. I did the bypass loop instead of going to downtown area in mandatory city of Dothan, AL.

Treked west towards Andalusia and the Bay Minette, AL to keep from dipping into panhandle area of Florida.

Next was Gulf Shores, AL and I had to go almost to Gulf Coast as wanted a DBR. I did Gulf Shores Expressway to stay away from traffic in Foley, etc but my GPS diverted me off too soon the Expressway and had to do 8 miles thru heavy traffic (not even summer yet) and what seemed like red light every 1/2 mile. Leaving Gulf Shores was same. A real time killer.

Next mandatory stop was Dauphin Island and IBA did not use example of taking the ferry across Mobile Bay as I think that would have decrease mileage to under 1000 miles. So I looped up to Mobile and back down the western side of Mobile Bay.

When you are “on the clock” you hate when gas pump will not give you a printed receipt and says “see attendant for receipt”. Once inside you can be 4th person in line and everyone in front you buying scratch off lottery tickets, scratching off at the counter to get their winnings and paying with loose coins out of their pocket. At least was what I thought.

Back up to I-10 to head short trip north on I-65 to head towards Butler, AL. There was accident that had 4 lanes of traffic stopped due to wreck over in far left lane that caused one vehicle to have engine catch fire. Sitting on interstate there was guy in Buick 225 (Duece n quarter), sweet powder blue, lowered, aftermarket wheels that was giving a free concert to everyone within couple miles of his car sitting next to me, He must of had speakers in trunk as when the bass hit I swear I could see the trunk lid vibrate.

I was having issue with my Zumo XT GPS as it kept re-routing me back to gas station in Gulf Shores that I did not go to but selected another close by. I tried to fix while moving which is never good plan. Anyway I just did fast re-route to Butler, AL. I did not see the entire route on screen as it directed me out of state thru small part of Mississippi. I was not paying a lot attention but noticed the Mississippi state line on GPS getting closer and closer. There it was “Welcome to Mississippi “ sign with nice shoulder to pull off and take picture. My light on low fuel was about ready to come on, the sun is almost set and the small towns start “rolling up the sidewalks” to include gas stations. I backed tracked to a no name one gas pump station with guy sitting on bench outside. He said no gas and I asked where the closest gas station was. I know I should not judge a book by its cover but I just did not put lot of time trust in his directional abilities. It was less him and more about the vision of me standing beside my out of gas Wing on an Alabama county road at night. Long story short I back tracked 20 mins to where I KNEW there was gas. All the way back I argued with myself about “ which was better GPS vs paper map”.

I told myself not to pass up an open gas station anytime under 1/2 tank in these rural areas.

I rolled on to Reform, AL, almost no one was out on roads near midnight on a Monday night except deer and saw enough possums that I began wonder if they were really crossing the road or out there sniffing for something.

The only traffic in small towns were law enforcement either driving or tucked in spot watching the who are crazy enough to be out.

By the time I got to Florence I was tired. It’s after 2 am, I had been up near 24 hrs, my electric jacket liner had blown fuse and not working, and the Athens 26 miles sign seemed long way away. But there was no way I was stopping.

My odometer read 1,192 and Google maps said 1,079 for total trip miles. The GPS snaffu could explain most of the difference. Took 22. 5 hrs, with total stopped time 1 hr 47 minutes with 8 gas stops. So 107 mins stopped w 8 gas stops avg 13 min/stop but really lower because stopped time includes, red lights, stop signs, accidents etc.

I have submitted for consideration. If you are tired of droning along interstate try one of these Ride Arounds. You get up close look of Americana from motorcycle.

Trip: Lap of Alabama Ride
IBA certified ride
new.spotwalla.com

Great report! I’m hoping we can do the 50CC soon and have a great story together. Scheduling has been tricky.

Did you get a donut in Eufala? Best donut of my life was found in that city on a work trip. It’s the kind of donut they’ll serve in heaven, I’m sure.

I hit “report” first Chase in trying to reply. Did not have glasses on. Not sure what report does?

You trying to get me kicked off this site?