Ride Around KY - a question

Gar

Premier Member
The ride page at https://ironbutt.com/themerides/raky/ is generally self explanatory. But, on the required city stops, there appear to be several cities missing in the list. By the map shown, Murray, Hopkinsville, Bowling Green, some other town (maybe Tompiknsville) and Pineville are not in the list of required cities. Are these cities required? If so, is it Tomkinsville or maybe Scottsville or Pine Knot that is required? A little help please.

nudihjn

Premier Member
I did the Ride around SC in 2021. The required cities are listed in the writeup/requirements. Unlike SC, a DBR is only required at the start & finish locations for the KY ride - my interpretation? Satellite tracking is a requirement (Spotwalla). The SC ride required a few more DBRs. I would follow the towns listed in the document (not the example pic) in a clockwise or counterclockwise direction from a start location (one of the towns on the list). I think the map is there for show only to provide a general idea of the ride. The route selection between the required towns is up to you…

Last edited:

Russ Black

Premier Member
The object of these rides is to ride the perimeter of their respective state. By driving the required Cities/towns in order, you'll more or less draw the outline of the state. These rides do not care about the cities or towns in between the required ones except you can't leave the state (Hence the use of Spotwalla). In Texas for example, you can make several stops for fuel before you get to your next required city/town. Some of the stops just require photos of a Visitor Center sign. Some a DBR. They also intentionally put Paris, TX as a required city to keep you from traveling on the Interstate through Dallas across North Texas. This makes these ride a bit harder to complete, but you do get to see Americana. I recently did a BBG, all on the Interstate, but I much prefer doing SS's through the back roads. I plan on eventually doing all of these Ride Arounds and have already planned my routes in Basecamp. I am also working on routes of the states that are not listed such as Arizona. The problem with Arizona is that the Grand Canyon is in the way. In order to get to the North West corner, you have to leave the state, which is not permitted. I guess I'll have to find a dirt road or trail across miles of uninhabited terrain to complete this one. One of the ride around states ride (Can't remember which one), in one of its corners, has a very small town (4 or 5 buildings) with only one business and it isn't a convenience store or gas station and might not be open on the weekends as a required one to visit. Good luck on your ride.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
The object of these rides is to ride the perimeter of their respective state. By driving the required Cities/towns in order, you'll more or less draw the outline of the state. These rides do not care about the cities or towns in between the required ones except you can't leave the state<snippage occurred>
Well put @Russ Black - but not quite accurate.

" There are many more challenging in-state rides that require you to travel through specific cities. These may be named "Ride Around" or "Lap of" rides (e.g. Ride Around Virginia; Lap of Florida). Remember you may not leave the state except for safety reasons -- and if you do leave the state, you must re-enter it at the same point you left it." From HERE

Best laid plans and all, if you leave the state, the miles outside the state won't count towards your ride. As long as you return to the state you're doing a lap of or ride around, at the exact point you left it, you're still on track. An explanation of the reason for doing so will need to be included in your submission. A non-functional gas station on the correct side of the border, requiring a short trip across into the neighboring state for fuel, could be considered a safety reason. Running out of fuel would be un-safe, if no other options existed.