Ride Around Maine questions

OldCrow

Premier Member
Living in Maine this ride immediately got my attention. I plan to do the ride this Sunday Aug 1st.
My question is, are only 2 DBR a picture at the 4 Corners Monument in Madawaska and Spotwalla track the complete requirements?

I'd been planning a fuel stop in every tiny town, not just routing through them. This adds 8 additional fuel stops! But then I was re-reading the IBA page it says

"You must visit each of the listed jurisdictions. You must use spotwalla or other satellite tracking system. You must obtain a DBR at the start and finish of your ride. "

Of course I will log my needed fuel stops along the route but getting rid of stops where the distance is only 33, 48, 38, 64, 47 miles between the towns from Kittery to Coburn Gore would be sweet.
Thanks
OC

igneouss

Premier Member
For my ride around VA there was one town that I felt could easily be missed. The main route went directly beside the town border but NOT through the town. I went and grabbed an ATM DBR (just check your account balance). Two other towns were along the route and ok in the spotwalla sense but I bought gas anyway. The standard advice here is 'have perfect reading comprehension' and 'it's your responsibility to prove you rode the ride'. Last thing I would say is that these rides generally do not press the limits of the 24 hr clock. You have the time to take care of business without getting stressed. Have fun! Let us know how it goes.

CB650F

Premier Member
You will need a way to prove you visited each of the jurisdictions. A DBR is the best way to do that. Fuel in one of them. Get lunch at another one. Stop at a convenience store for a bottle of water at the next. Get fuel again...

SpotWalla definitely helps, but it's not the primary means of proving you were there. You'll need a DBR at the start and finish, as well as every fuel stop, and any checkpoints you hit along the way.

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
You will need a way to prove you visited each of the jurisdictions. A DBR is the best way to do that. Fuel in one of them. Get lunch at another one. Stop at a convenience store for a bottle of water at the next. Get fuel again...

SpotWalla definitely helps, but it's not the primary means of proving you were there. You'll need a DBR at the start and finish, as well as every fuel stop, and any checkpoints you hit along the way.
Have you even read the rules for this ride?

CB650F

Premier Member
Have you even read the rules for this ride?
Yes, asshole, I have. Here's a quote from it, "Coburn Gore - Pepin's General Store" Why do you think a specific store is listed as a checkpoint in the ride? Do you think that maybe you should get a DBR from that store? I can't think of a better way to prove you were there.

Maybe you should go read the basic documentation guidelines. There is a link to it from the Ride Around Maine page. Here are some quotes from it. "Provide dated-business-receipts (“DBR”) to prove your claim. Often these receipts are for buying fuel, but ATM receipts, meal receipts (McDonalds receipts are usually good), or any other computer generated receipt will work." "Remember to document any stop for fuel".

Seriously Stephen!, get your head out of your ass and quit picking completely useless fights with me. You are just making yourself look like an idiot. You already know all of the things I said. You know two DBRs, a picture at the monument, and a SpotWalla track isn't enough. You know you the IBA wants all of the fuel receipts and some kind of documentation to prove you were actually at the listed locations. Nothing is better at doing that than a DBR, and you know it. So I throw your own question back at you. Have you even read the rules for this ride?

If you actually read the Ride Around Maine page, you'll see that it's roughly a 1,080 mile ride, but you've got 26 hours to do it. Why not the standard 24 hours? Why the two extra hours? Maybe it's because you are on small roads and have to make 11 checkpoint stops. Even on small roads, you can make the 42ish mph average speed required for a 24 hour run. Two extra hours is most likely to accommodate for those 11 extra stops. I was recently in Maine. Those little 2 lane roads do prevent interstate speeds, but you can still stay above a 42 mph average without riding unsafely.

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
Yes, asshole, I have. Here's a quote from it, "Coburn Gore - Pepin's General Store" Why do you think a specific store is listed as a checkpoint in the ride? Do you think that maybe you should get a DBR from that store? I can't think of a better way to prove you were there.

Maybe you should go read the basic documentation guidelines. There is a link to it from the Ride Around Maine page. Here are some quotes from it. "Provide dated-business-receipts (“DBR”) to prove your claim. Often these receipts are for buying fuel, but ATM receipts, meal receipts (McDonalds receipts are usually good), or any other computer generated receipt will work." "Remember to document any stop for fuel".

Seriously Stephen!, get your head out of your ass and quit picking completely useless fights with me. You are just making yourself look like an idiot. You already know all of the things I said. You know two DBRs, a picture at the monument, and a SpotWalla track isn't enough. You know you the IBA wants all of the fuel receipts and some kind of documentation to prove you were actually at the listed locations. Nothing is better at doing that than a DBR, and you know it. So I throw your own question back at you. Have you even read the rules for this ride?

If you actually read the Ride Around Maine page, you'll see that it's roughly a 1,080 mile ride, but you've got 26 hours to do it. Why not the standard 24 hours? Why the two extra hours? Maybe it's because you are on small roads and have to make 11 checkpoint stops. Even on small roads, you can make the 42ish mph average speed required for a 24 hour run. Two extra hours is most likely to accommodate for those 11 extra stops. I was recently in Maine. Those little 2 lane roads do prevent interstate speeds, but you can still stay above a 42 mph average without riding unsafely.
Recorded for posterity.

rneal55555

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Show me a route that get's you a DBR in those towns that can be done in 26 hours those locations many of which don't have 24 hr locations to obtain a DBR. Pepin's is an 0800-1700 or 1900 proposition gas pumps might or might not be open after hours. Acton is another. As opposed to some others which CLEARLY say a DBR in this jurisdictions is required the Ride Around Maine does not. In some of those little towns in Maine at 0300 Hrs you ain't getting one. The rules for three different Ride Arounds are below for context. Maybe they made a mistake for Maine and left it out, but by my reading a Start and Stop Receipt in the same listed town and another every 350 miles with the Photo in Madawaska and Pepin's (DBR? it doesn't really say) along with a Spotwalla track through the listed towns is the minimum you need. The two extra hours is probably because its 80 more miles at 42 MPH stops be dammed. Were it me I'd endever to buy fuel in a listed Jurisdiction if it made sense or get a DBR if it was convenient and take some sort of identifiable photo in the others (it may just be a photo of my GPS).

Ride Around Iowa
You must obtain DBR in the following jurisdictions and at least every 350 miles. The receipt MUST indicate the city, date and time. Check your receipts.
Bettendorf
Muscatine
Fort Madison
Sidney
Larchwood
Armstrong
Lansing
Guttenberg
Bellevue
You must obtain the receipts in the order listed. Either order (clock or counter-clock) is fine but they must be in order, e.g. Lansing MUST come immediately before or after Armstrong.

The Ride Around New England is roughly 1,800 miles. You must ride your motorcycle around the New England states and collect DBRs or photos from 14 different locations which take you around New England. These locations are indicated below. All photos require your motorcycle to be in the picture. These are:
1. Pilgrim Monument and Museum, 27 High Point Hill Rd Provincetown MA - Photo of Museum sign
2. RI State Capital, Providence RI - Photo of Capital
3. Submarine Veterans National Monument, Groton CT - Photo of Monument
4. Shell Gas, 142 Railroad Ave Greenwich CT - DBR
5. Berkshire Museum, 39 South St Pittsfield MA - Photo of Museum Sign
6. Bennington Battle Monument, 15 Monument Cir Old Bennington MA - Photo of Monument
7. Green Mountain National Forest, 231 N Main St Rutland VT - Photo of Bldg. and Sign
8. Abenaki Memorial Totem, 20 Academy St Swanton VT - Photo of Totem
9. Post Office, 1362 Main St Pittsburg NH - Photo of Post Office Showing Town Name
10. Circle Gas 17 Moosehead Tr, Newport ME - DBR
11. Fort Kent Historical Blockhouse, 15 Blockhouse Rd Fort Kent
12. 4 Corners Park 121 four Corners Park Madawaska ME - Photo of Monument
13. Fisherman’s Statue 55 Water St Eastport ME - Photo of Statue
---Start and finish Gas stops - Photo of DBR w/ ODO Reading.
You must visit each of the listed jurisdictions. You must use spotwalla or other satellite tracking system. You must obtain a DBR at the start and finish of your ride. Check your receipts.

Ride Around Maine
Kittery
Searsport
Calais
Houlton
Madawaska Four Corners Park - you must get a photo of your bike in front of the monument
Millinocket
Coburn Gore - Pepin's General Store
Rangeley
Bethel
Fryeburg
Acton
You must visit the cities in the order listed. Either order (clock or counter-clock) is fine but they must be in order.
Your goal is to trace the borders of Maine by 'connecting the dots' represented by the required cities - but remember you may not leave Maine and the required cities must be visited in order.
Your official time is determined by the starting and ending receipts. PLEASE check these documents and make sure the clock and date are correct!
Spotwalla.com is required.
Remember it is YOUR responsibility to prove you visited all required

Oh and to be a Good Asshole it takes perseverance, intelligence, and a certain amount of common sense.

CB650F

Premier Member
That's right, there are other ways to prove you were there. A DBR is still the best way to do it. A SpotWalla track alone doesn't do it, which is why you are making those 11 stops. Just sailing through and expecting SpotWalla to be your proof is a bad idea.

outdoorsntn

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
CBR650F: I have a little recent experience with developing and first-rides of Ride Arounds, Lap Ofs, and In-City Rides which rely on a Spotwalla track as proof of being there. A few IBA rides are this way and this is why the rules for those rides are written the way they are.

Old Crow: Good on yah for rolling out this weekend to do the Ride Around Maine. I have learned to really enjoy these rides.

Doug Vance
Cordova, TN

mcrigid

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
CBR650F: I have a little recent experience with developing and first-rides of Ride Arounds, Lap Ofs, and In-City Rides which rely on a Spotwalla track as proof of being there. A few IBA rides are this way and this is why the rules for those rides are written the way they are
outdoosntn,
Good point. I did an In-City Insanity ride making 39 laps within the City of Detroit. I only stopped for fuel when I needed it and at the same location each time. Spotwalla was the proof I actually did the 39 laps. So in some cases, it is the means of verification.

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
outdoosntn,
Good point. I did an In-City Insanity ride making 39 laps within the City of Detroit. I only stopped for fuel when I needed it and at the same location each time. Spotwalla was the proof I actually did the 39 laps. So in some cases, it is the means of verification.
Pretty much the same as my inaugural Aloha SS1k. Long before fancy things like SPOT or Bubbler I needed to have a pre-completed and pre-reviewed 100+ mile GPS tracked odometer calibration run and "Extreme Ride Level Witnesses" before and after the ride. As well as every fuel receipt. On a K11LT with no aux fuel and only 4½ gallons of usable fuel, there was no danger of exceeding 350 miles between fill ups. The actual route was left entirely up to me and was solely dictated by traffic in one of the worst traffic areas in the country.

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
CBR650F: I have a little recent experience with developing and first-rides of Ride Arounds, Lap Ofs, and In-City Rides which rely on a Spotwalla track as proof of being there. A few IBA rides are this way and this is why the rules for those rides are written the way they are.
Apparently Matthew's single nested ride from a few months ago makes him an authority on all things related to ride certification. :rolleyes:

CB650F

Premier Member
Apparently Matthew's single nested ride from a few months ago makes him an authority on all things related to ride certification. :rolleyes:
Still trying to pick a fight? You've already done that, so I'm simply going to wait until you have the balls to follow through with your previous attempt.

OldCrow

Premier Member
Well OK then :)
I think I'll depend on Spotwalla for those tiny towns up the NH border that I'll pass thru in pre dawn hours. Then a DBR at Pepin's, Pic at 4 Corners, DBR at Calais and Kittery, Start/Finish DBR in Searsport. And needed fuel stops DBRs.
As for 26hrs, about the only well paved 2 lane road is Rt1. Our Dear Leader has been tight with highway funds and the inland 2 lanes are atrocious. I do prefer to be on an MC vs Car so at least 50% of the time I can get a semi smooth ride:rolleyes: My goal is less than 24hr but I haven't ridden those southern border roads in a couple years and I'm riding a GL1200A not a GS.
OC

Well OK then :)
I think I'll depend on Spotwalla for those tiny towns up the NH border that I'll pass thru in pre dawn hours. Then a DBR at Pepin's, Pic at 4 Corners, DBR at Calais and Kittery, Start/Finish DBR in Searsport. And needed fuel stops DBRs.
As for 26hrs, about the only well paved 2 lane road is Rt1. Our Dear Leader has been tight with highway funds and the inland 2 lanes are atrocious. I do prefer to be on an MC vs Car so at least 50% of the time I can get a semi smooth ride:rolleyes: My goal is less than 24hr but I haven't ridden those southern border roads in a couple years and I'm riding a GL1200A not a GS.
OC
Glad to see another GL1200A still doing IBA rides.

-Mark

OldCrow

Premier Member
Hi Mark,
This will be my first IBA ride on 1987 GL1200A. I bought the bike in June 2019 so my wife and I could do the SCMA 4 Corners ride in late Sept 2019. It was a blast with only a dead battery in Kissimmee FL, so close :( But a new battery and we finished in 25days. Not a blistering pace for sure but it was more Tour than competition. And my wife loved the ride and is ready for our next long tour!
It is certainly much more powerful and comfortable than my 1981 R100RT, but this will be my first 1000mile day on it.
Planning on Saturday as the weather window now.
OC

igneouss

Premier Member
Lots of ways to get after hours DBRs. Any ATM for example. If there are zero options then it becomes a routing problem. Make sure you hit that spot during business hours...

rneal55555

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
We shouldn't be making rules that don't exist, read the rules for the ride and follow them. We don't have to make rocket science out it. There are enough examples of other rides where they require a DBR in at each point that it stands to reason if it was required here it would say so.

OldCrow

Premier Member
Success!!
I did the Ride Around Maine yesterday, 7/31/21. I chose Saturday because there were some afternoon showers predicted for Sunday and warmer.
Results(unofficial) 21h 54m 7s over 1068 miles(ODO) or 1059miles(GPS).
My 1987 Goldwing ran well but was suffering a clutch failure as the ride progressed. But with low RPM shifts nothing came apart. I departed from Searsport ME at 0:34:55 and proceeded down coastal Rt1 until Bath ME. Midnight is the right time! This is the first time I can remember going through Camden without traffic. Weather was clear and cool temp about 48F and high about 70F for the day.
Climbing up the western mountains were uneventful with the first hints of dawn about 4am. The roads Rt 17 then Rt16 to Eustis are memorably bad. I was wishing for my old R1150GS. But road Rt27 just north of Eustis to Coburn Gore at the Canada boarder was remarkably good. This is where I first found out how much extra cornering clearance I got by ditching the floor boards. The old GL corners nice on smooth roads but gets real nervous with any bumps. Ah well, she's a Highway muncher and a canyon carver. Also at about 8:30 Pepin's General Store was closed and online it said 8am opening. Luckily the fueling side was open but unattended. I can only guess with Canada basically in terminal lockdown there are not many customers coming across the border for cheaper fuel and gedunk.
The only real mechanical excitement was a malfunction of my aux fuel system. My first 3 fill ups of the aux went fine. But on the 4th it started peeing out the vent line. It filled and overfilled the small container on the vent. This ride had been the first time I was refilling on the side stand as I was not trying for big miles between refills. My longest was only 183miles so I was just really using the aux as it's easier and quicker to refill. On a good day I can get 160miles out of the aux. On this ride I only filled the main tank at the start and only used maybe 2 gals out of it.
My my vent line first extends 3in above the tank to the 90 bend then down to a 200mil vented bottle. Even on the side stand the 90 deg bend is a couple inches above the full fill line at that angle. I think what happened was when I put the the fuel cap on I somehow created enough pressure to cause the fuel in the vent line to surge over the angled fitting and start a syphon. And I have no syphon break.
The next piece of mild excitement was coming down Rt1 just north of (IIRC) East Machias. It's getting dark and oncoming traffic lights were getting distracting when I saw the work ahead sign, then I noticed the, I think, the word "gravel" or maybe "dirt". On the brakes hard. Yep, dirt with a little bit of gravel for about 1/2 to a 1 mile. Thankfully it was not wet or raining. Next was some fireworks in Milbridge and I think the entire town was on the bridge causing a bit of a slowdown for thru traffic.
The remaining ride down to Searsport was uneventful but for one fool passing on a 2 lane near Ellsworth, I came near to one of those "I didn't see him" events. The ol' GL is pretty flickable for an 800lb bike, not a scratch. And then not 10miles later a deer was in the road to check the veracity of my last statement. The wife doesn't hear this part of the story :)
Overall a very neat and interesting ride. From mountains to valley farm land(with some beautiful corn), to thick wood land and timber harvesting, to plains like rolling farm land and finally a coastal region only a few places can compare to. Even though I've lived up here for 11years I found some places I'm taking my wife back to see.
Heck I might have to make this an annual ride just to see what changes are happing. Like I haven't been up the coast above Gouldboro in several years but those roads are in much better condition now with many miles of new pavement. Here a some non gas receipt pics, the only ones I had time for.
DSCF4976.jpg Just stopping for a pic long enough for SWTracker to talk with Spotwalla :)
DSCF4978.jpg A local hero stood up to The Man last year but sadly the Man has lotsa guys with guns. I think Sunday River in under new ownership.
DSCF4981.jpg Picture doesn't do it justice. Near Rangeley Maine.
DSCF4994.jpg A Must have pic if your in the region, this guy has made an awesome tribute to LD riders
DSCF5012.jpg Done, time to head home. And here is the spotwalla link if your interested https://new.spotwalla.com/trip/4a1b-1a1d11c9-258b/view