Ride around New York...the "Quarantine 1000"

I’m happy to report that at 2102 hours on Saturday, July 18th, 2020, I completed the Ride around NY “Quarantine 1000” with 1,067 miles on the odometer!

I was out of the house by 0230 and in Newburgh at the Sunoco Station ready to rock and roll at 0300. Of course, being in amped up to start my ride, I failed to start my GPS logger but got my gas receipt and required picture of my odometer with the receipt. The thruway in the middle of the night was low volume and made for a great ride. I installed some LED driving lights a few weeks before and that made a huge difference in seeing at night!
I pulled into Lake George for a fuel stop around 0500. The sun was beginning to come up around this time and I was thankful to begin riding in the daylight. Getting back on the road I encountered something I was not prepared for…FOG! The fog was thick for most of the rest of my trip north on the Northway. Even though the fog didn’t lift until I was almost up near the Canadian border, the ride north was probably my favorite part of the trip. The sights were beautiful and the cold-crisp air made for some really amazing riding.

I pulled into Champlain around 0700. By that time the sun was out, but the air was still quite chilly. Fueled up and made some small-talk with some locals having coffee at the Dunkin. I headed west on US-11…This was a two-lane local road that brought me through some amazing country-side. The small towns slowed me down a bit and the 159 miles took me about 3 hours but made it to Watertown by 1000.

From Watertown, I jumped on I-81 southbound to my next stop. Technically that stop needed to be in Syracuse, but a rest-area right off of I-90W outside of Syracuse in Warners, NY was my stop. The riding on the interstate was….interstate riding, cruise set to 75mph, and rocked out to my tunes.

When I pulled into Warners the outside temperature started to become a factor. This was about half-way through my 1,000-mile journey, so I thought it was a good time to have a PB&J and stand up for about 20 minutes. It was HOT HOT HOT as I pulled out onto I-90W for my haul to Buffalo. I soaked my neck wrap before leaving Warners, and I’m glad I did because by the time I pulled into the rest-stop in Buffalo it was bone dry!

The Buffalo rest-area was….a rest area. I started to run low on water by that time so I popped in and bought a few chilled bottles. As I pulled out of Buffalo back onto I-90W I was happy to know the next stop was only about 40 miles away. Taking the exit for Local route 60 was a nice break from interstate, and took me about 30 miles south until I hit US-86/Rte-17. I stopped at a Truck Stop in Jamestown, NY to get my required gas receipt and topped off, even though I really didn’t need fuel.

Route 17E was my longest stretch…the Jamestown stop was the last required receipt to qualify for the Ride around NY but I knew I would need to stop again. Route 17 stays in NY EXCEPT for a very short portion that dips into PA. I had to avoid leaving the state in order to get the certification so I dipped off Route 17 about 170 miles into that leg. By this time the sun was at my back but was also shining on my right side. I could feel my face getting hot and knew I had to stop soon.

When I got off Route 17 in Waverly, NY to avoid PA I found a “Dandy” fuel stop, which was quite dandy! This is where the fatigue started to kick in. My body was starting to cramp up and I knew I needed to drink more water. I downed two bottles of water and filled my thermos so I could sip for the last stretch back to Newburgh. Route 17 was a great ride, but very technical. The sweeping turns at highway speeds kept me going without any caffeine…straight interstate riding at this point would have been much more of a struggle.

As I approached Wurtsboro the sun began to set. I pulled off to take off my sunglasses and headed back out eastbound. Middletown was a sight for sore eyes but also meant I needed to get on I-84 to Newburgh. The last 26 miles of this trip was the least enjoyable. I-84 at night was not fun, and the speeding traffic made for an annoying ride.

I pulled into Newburgh right around 2100 hrs. My bike was caked in bugs…my face caked in road grime…my heart and mind filled with excitement. I made it! Part of my wanted to park the wheel and have Ladybug pick me up, but it was only a short ride back home.
Some things I learned on this trip that I think are important to note, especially for someone who saw this and thought for a second they could do it:
  • Appropriate riding gear is a MUST! I was happy I wore my mesh jacket and mesh colors instead of the heavy leathers. I also had mesh gloves and most importantly; lightweight footgear. I would not have been as comfortable if I did not think about my gear before the ride.
  • I had one cup of coffee in the morning before leaving, and that was IT for caffeine. When I was feeling fatigued I had a quick little snack or a bite or two of my PB&J sandwiches
  • Stops were kept to <10 minutes, except for one longer 20-minute break where I stretched. I think a longer meal break would have just made me tired, and I’m glad I didn’t do that.
  • I didn’t look at my total miles at all the entire trip…resetting my trip odometer between stops kept me going. It’s much easier to have a 175-mile goal multiple times during the trip.
  • The seat on the road glide was GREAT…and my suspension upgrades paid off in dividends! Though the next time I take on this type of ride I may invest in an airhawk seat cushion for the last 200 miles or so.
I was able to complete this trip in 18 hours…leaving 6 hours to spare. This proved to me that longer stops are doable for this ride…and even a short nap break would have kept me under the 24 hours. This ride seems like it would be tough, but it’s completely doable for ANYONE!!!

Did I have a great time? YUP! Will I ever do it again? YUP Will I look to do more certifications such as 1,500 miles in 36 hours and maybe a trip down the east coast? You bet your iron butt I will!

Here are some pictures and the route: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kss2vm756xc7sh2/AABavUEqi8darJdJBtff1_Vya?dl=0

Mike721

Premier Member
Thanks for the write up and congrats on your success. That ride is on my list for this year, I did an in state Pennsylvania SS1000 last year, I want to follow up with the ride around New York.

Thanks for the write up and congrats on your success. That ride is on my list for this year, I did an in state Pennsylvania SS1000 last year, I want to follow up with the ride around New York.
It really was a great ride. I had originally thought about just doing a flat out 500 mile ride out to lunch and back, but found the ride around NY challenge and thought why not? Thought it would be fun to keep "quarantined" in New York! Hahaha

Great ride neighbor!!
Thanks Ken! You're not far from me at all!