Ride Around Texas clarification

Richard Terry

Premier Member
The new State - Province Ride Arounds Version No. 1.0 Date last revised: March 25, 2023

States:

" You must start at any of the states' required jurisdictions or at any location along the inside perimeter of the state that is in a direct path between the required jurisdictions."

I assume this applies to the Ride Around Texas even though it is not expressly stated on the Ride Around Texas page.

Thanks

HardTxRider

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
The new State - Province Ride Arounds Version No. 1.0 Date last revised: March 25, 2023

States:

" You must start at any of the states' required jurisdictions or at any location along the inside perimeter of the state that is in a direct path between the required jurisdictions."

I assume this applies to the Ride Around Texas even though it is not expressly stated on the Ride Around Texas page.

Thanks
The quote above is to cover those state/province ride-arounds where the rules allow "between" listed (mandatory) locations. The individual State/Province ride-around rules apply.

The Ride Around Texas & Rewind rules page explicitly state to start/finish at listed Texas "mandatory checkpoint", not between them. The iconic Ride Around Texas is the legacy template for the IBA In-State ride around portfolio.
An exception to this Ride Around Texas rule can only be granted by the IBA, as it was for the Big As Texas Party event held in Allen. For the BAT, the RAT Start/Finish was Sherman TX, along the route between Childress, Paris and Texarkana. In the exception granted for the BAT RAT, the Sherman Start/Finish took the place of the Paris mandatory checkpoint.

"Background:

RAT Objective: Ride the perimeter of Texas, clockwise or anti-clockwise, stopping at 18 mandatory checkpoints, including start/finish point, in order within the allotted time period.

RAT - less than 85 hours
RAT Gold - less than 70 hours

RAT Rewind Objective: Ride 2 consecutive rotations around the perimeter of Texas, one clockwise and one anti-clockwise, stopping at 18 mandatory checkpoints, including start/finish point, in order within the allotted time period for each rotation. This is a back-to-back ride and follows typical back-to-back rules.

RAT Rewind - less than 85 hours each rotation
RAT Rewind Gold - less than 70 hours each rotation"

And...

"Rules for the RAT

The mandatory checkpoints are listed below. You may start at any of the mandatory checkpoints. Your finish checkpoint is back to where you started. Checkpoints must be ridden in order, clockwise or anti-clockwise, around the perimeter of Texas. You may take any route you wish between checkpoints, but you must stay within the State of Texas."

Hope this clarifies things.

Last edited:

Russ Black

Premier Member
I attempted to do the "Rewind" last fall and only made it around once and earned the RAT Gold. I live near Galveston (My Start/Finish Checkpoint) and on one of the possible routes you could take between it and Victoria. I feel that hindered me because once I made it around I was tired and wasn't really looking forward to the "Rewind" part of the ride. My bed was so close and was calling out my name and it won out. I plan to attempt the "Rewind" again this coming fall.

I helped develop the ride around New Mexico and have done a ride around LA and MO as well. All these are not in the state where I live so starting in a mandatory checkpoint really doesn't effect the execution of the ride. I planned either a SS or BB to/from the start/end location so those miles weren't "Wasted". Thou most ride around's are between a SS and BB in distance, they are no joke and require good planning to be able to get a DBR in a required location. Think of Timed or Daylight only rally bonuses.

Last edited: