Ride Around the Big Paddock

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is from his wife on Facebook
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?st...jLQMbcX4Zwnt6wSl&id=519835906&mibextid=9R9pXO
Hello everyone,
It is with a heavy heart that we must inform you all that recently while away in Australia, Kevin passed away.

It is a tough time for the family, and whilst we will inevitably appreciate all of your thoughts and love, we would ask not to reach out too quickly, as to not overwhelm us, as we do already have much to be overwhelmed with, we just thought to share the news as he touched many lives, and we thought you should know.

Remember to spend as much time as you can with family

The Bakers

Hey all. I don't post much here but as a direct friend of Kevin's I thought I'd chime in.

Kevin was a longtime member of our local CMC (Canadian Motorcycle Cruisers) chapter in Clarington Ontario Canada and I personally rode many miles with him over the years, including doing my first ever iron butt with him in May 2018. He was a giant of a human being in many ways and always a lot of fun to be around, which is without doubt why so many people remember him so fondly. He cetainly had a personality and general positive outlook on life that I could only ever dream of equaling, whilst at the same time remaining incredibly humble and down to earth.

I still remember my IBA ride with Kevin well - it was a perfect early spring day, we left in the dark and returned in the dark, and we certainly rode hard - all for a single photo that was part of a contest that our CMC chapter was running. And we both loved every minute of it. Towards the end when the early spring temperatures were falling below the freezing point for the last few hours of our ride, and I'd put on every stitch of clothing I had with me to stave off the cold (including my rain gear), it didn't even seem to phase Kevin - he was hard core beyond most peoples understanding of hard core. He never complained, he never waivered, he was just perpetually positive.

Perpetually positive was one of his biggest and strongest traits. During his many trials and tribulations on some of his bigger rides like his Hoka Hey run last year, despite all the issues he experienced ranging from brand new freshly installed tires failing him to an unfortunate electrical issue on his Indian that not only ended his quest but sent him home on a plane only to have to return later to pickup his bike, he was always so incredibly positive, not focusing on the negatives of what happened or how (without a doubt) he was dissapointed about the bigger picture, but instead focusing on how others came to his rescue - riders and strangers alike, and how there was good in all people. I could only hope to be this positive in life - I have a habit of being a pessimist a lot of the time, and things that he experienced desite the best laid plans would have left me an infuriated angry mess, but Kevin always seemed to find a way to make it a positive, and continue on.

Kevin constantly yearned for the open road, big miles, and the zenn time that endurance riding entails. As many of us here know without a doubt, this sort of riding is not something that everyone enjoys, and I even have limits, but Kevin was next level and was always looking forward to the next adventure.

While sitting having coffee together he'd share bits and pieces of his adventures over the years, including the ups and downs - hearing about his IBA and Hoka Hey adventures (amongst many others) was always enthralling for me as I could only dream of doing some of the things he actually did. Maybe some day I'll have the time and money to be able to do a few of them, but myself and others lived vicariously through him somtimes, and always followed him on Facebook, Spotwalla, and afterwards, over a coffee in real life.

The last time I was with Kevin was perhaps 6 or 8 weeks ago when he randomly showed up at the beginning of one of our chapter rides, coffee in hand, and he just hung out and chatted with us all for 15 or 20 minutes before we headed out. Bright and bubbly as always, always positive, and always excited to chat about anything motorcycles. "Little short rides" surely didn't hold much appeal to him anymore (I get it, I feel the same way sometimes as many hard core IBA members can also surely related to) but he still maintained the social connections with his old riding buddies, even though he may not have ridden with us much anymore.

Although he was no longer technically a member of our chapter for personal reasons, in the books of many including my own, he was an honorurary lifetime member and we were all always glad to see him when he still came out and graced us with his presence. His contributions to our chapter during his time as a member were huge - he led many rides including several full season series, and was always there along with his familiy at all of our events, always a supporter, always a smile on his face - always one of the brightest people in the room.

As hard as it is to accept he's gone, I find a little solace knowing he left this world doing exactly what he wanted to be doing - running big miles on the open road with the wind in his face on 2 wheels.

The officers of our CMC chapter discussed doing a memorial patch and some sort of fundraiser for one of the many charities he supported over the years, but on further discussion we don't feel the time is right given the whole situation at hand, so we will sit tight on this. In looking back on some of our messages back and forth on Facebook today looking for a few photos, it's hard to miss how often his concerns in those messages were focused around charity causes, or helping others. The man was one in a million for sure.

I look forward to being able to do a charity donation in his memory when the time is right. Perhaps in a few months, when the time is right, I will get together with his wife over coffee and double check her thoughts and wishes beforehand, as I would think only appropriate.

I thought I'd close sharing a few photos (and a video at the end) that I took while riding with Kevin over the years. He sure loved his Indian which he'd nicknamed "inheritance", although as he leveled up through harder and harder rides (and the miles on Inheritance increased), he did buy a Goldwing as well, but in know his Indian was always the one that he was most proud of and held a special place in his heart.

1696875916684.png 1696875768912.png 1696875976972.png

Lastly, a video I took at some point in the past while Kevin and I were on a mile-eater motocamping adventure together. This was quintessential Kevin, riding his beloved indian, loaded up for life on the road, eating miles on a desolate highway, literally riding into the sunset.

He will be missed by many, and remembered fondly by all.

It's heartbreaking seeing your icon on Spotwalla still bouncing, still tracking to this very moment.

Whereever you are Kevin, I hope you're finishing your dream. Rest in peace brother, and keep watch over your family and the rest of us while we're on 2 wheels. I'll be thinking of you while I'm at the Port Dover Friday the 13'th Rally this weekend as I know if you weren't on this adventure, there's a good chance you'd have been there.

HACKLE

PrivatePilot, thank you for your words and photos of Kevin. Also a great video of the man riding and smiling just the way I remember him when I led him from Eden, New South Wales to Port Melbourne, Victoria on his start of Ride around the Big Paddock . His infectious smile captured you like nothing else. Please come back on here when you get something organised as I'm sure there;s a few Aussies who'd like to get involved somehow. Cheers.

Also a great video of the man riding and smiling just the way I remember him when I led him from Eden, New South Wales to Port Melbourne, Victoria on his start of Ride around the Big Paddock
I saw some of the photos on his personal and wifes FB profiles as they headed out on this adventure and his smile in every one of them was epic - I could tell he was sure excited about this one. That smile was infectious.

jeffrey gebler

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
It's heartbreaking seeing your icon on Spotwalla still bouncing, still tracking to this very moment.

Whereever you are Kevin, I hope you're finishing your dream. Rest in peace brother, and keep watch over your family and the rest of us while we're on 2 wheels. I'll be thinking of you while I'm at the Port Dover Friday the 13'th Rally this weekend as I know if you weren't on this adventure, there's a good chance you'd have been there.
Hey all. I don't post much here but as a direct friend of Kevin's I thought I'd chime in.

Kevin was a longtime member of our local CMC (Canadian Motorcycle Cruisers) chapter in Clarington Ontario Canada and I personally rode many miles with him over the years, including doing my first ever iron butt with him in May 2018. He was a giant of a human being in many ways and always a lot of fun to be around, which is without doubt why so many people remember him so fondly. He cetainly had a personality and general positive outlook on life that I could only ever dream of equaling, whilst at the same time remaining incredibly humble and down to earth.

I still remember my IBA ride with Kevin well - it was a perfect early spring day, we left in the dark and returned in the dark, and we certainly rode hard - all for a single photo that was part of a contest that our CMC chapter was running. And we both loved every minute of it. Towards the end when the early spring temperatures were falling below the freezing point for the last few hours of our ride, and I'd put on every stitch of clothing I had with me to stave off the cold (including my rain gear), it didn't even seem to phase Kevin - he was hard core beyond most peoples understanding of hard core. He never complained, he never waivered, he was just perpetually positive.

Perpetually positive was one of his biggest and strongest traits. During his many trials and tribulations on some of his bigger rides like his Hoka Hey run last year, despite all the issues he experienced ranging from brand new freshly installed tires failing him to an unfortunate electrical issue on his Indian that not only ended his quest but sent him home on a plane only to have to return later to pickup his bike, he was always so incredibly positive, not focusing on the negatives of what happened or how (without a doubt) he was dissapointed about the bigger picture, but instead focusing on how others came to his rescue - riders and strangers alike, and how there was good in all people. I could only hope to be this positive in life - I have a habit of being a pessimist a lot of the time, and things that he experienced desite the best laid plans would have left me an infuriated angry mess, but Kevin always seemed to find a way to make it a positive, and continue on.

Kevin constantly yearned for the open road, big miles, and the zenn time that endurance riding entails. As many of us here know without a doubt, this sort of riding is not something that everyone enjoys, and I even have limits, but Kevin was next level and was always looking forward to the next adventure.

While sitting having coffee together he'd share bits and pieces of his adventures over the years, including the ups and downs - hearing about his IBA and Hoka Hey adventures (amongst many others) was always enthralling for me as I could only dream of doing some of the things he actually did. Maybe some day I'll have the time and money to be able to do a few of them, but myself and others lived vicariously through him somtimes, and always followed him on Facebook, Spotwalla, and afterwards, over a coffee in real life.

The last time I was with Kevin was perhaps 6 or 8 weeks ago when he randomly showed up at the beginning of one of our chapter rides, coffee in hand, and he just hung out and chatted with us all for 15 or 20 minutes before we headed out. Bright and bubbly as always, always positive, and always excited to chat about anything motorcycles. "Little short rides" surely didn't hold much appeal to him anymore (I get it, I feel the same way sometimes as many hard core IBA members can also surely related to) but he still maintained the social connections with his old riding buddies, even though he may not have ridden with us much anymore.

Although he was no longer technically a member of our chapter for personal reasons, in the books of many including my own, he was an honorurary lifetime member and we were all always glad to see him when he still came out and graced us with his presence. His contributions to our chapter during his time as a member were huge - he led many rides including several full season series, and was always there along with his familiy at all of our events, always a supporter, always a smile on his face - always one of the brightest people in the room.

As hard as it is to accept he's gone, I find a little solace knowing he left this world doing exactly what he wanted to be doing - running big miles on the open road with the wind in his face on 2 wheels.

The officers of our CMC chapter discussed doing a memorial patch and some sort of fundraiser for one of the many charities he supported over the years, but on further discussion we don't feel the time is right given the whole situation at hand, so we will sit tight on this. In looking back on some of our messages back and forth on Facebook today looking for a few photos, it's hard to miss how often his concerns in those messages were focused around charity causes, or helping others. The man was one in a million for sure.

I look forward to being able to do a charity donation in his memory when the time is right. Perhaps in a few months, when the time is right, I will get together with his wife over coffee and double check her thoughts and wishes beforehand, as I would think only appropriate.

I thought I'd close sharing a few photos (and a video at the end) that I took while riding with Kevin over the years. He sure loved his Indian which he'd nicknamed "inheritance", although as he leveled up through harder and harder rides (and the miles on Inheritance increased), he did buy a Goldwing as well, but in know his Indian was always the one that he was most proud of and held a special place in his heart.

View attachment 11205 View attachment 11204 View attachment 11206

Lastly, a video I took at some point in the past while Kevin and I were on a mile-eater motocamping adventure together. This was quintessential Kevin, riding his beloved indian, loaded up for life on the road, eating miles on a desolate highway, literally riding into the sunset.

He will be missed by many, and remembered fondly by all.

Private pilot, thank you for sharing your thoughts and kind words.

Both Helen and myself offer our condolences to Kevin's wife, family and the Ontario motorcycle community for the lose of your loved one.

I first made contact with Kevin after he posted his initial plans about his upcoming ride. We shared numerous emails talking about his ride plans and the upcoming IBR.
I then had the privilege to meet him several times at the IBR, we had a beer, shared breakfast and had a good chat while waiting to be scored.
I was also fortunate enough to share my favourite road with him last week. I rode a couple of hours south to catch up with him so I could offer him some extra lights on the end of his first day on the road. I met him just outside of Kingston South Australia and rode north along the Coorang ( my favourite road) as the sun was setting. We had a spectacular natures light show as we made our way down the hills to Adelaide where quite a storm awaited us. We made our way out of the metropolitan area north where 50km from his rest stop we went out separate ways after a shared a hug on the side of a dark road and a promise to catch up at the 25 IBR.

Such a sad ending for a great man on his epic adventure.

Bam, ride on in peace brother.

MIXR

Thank you PrivatePilot for that great summary of a great bloke.

When I first saw this come up as a happening thing, I thought I would do some research to see who this foreign interloper was who was planning to steal a whole heap of Aussie thunder in undertaking a ride few here have done. I quickly read a lot of information that simply enhanced what was already evident. Bam had lots of riding experience and spent lots of charitable time and energy helping those less fortunate than himself.

In my eyes, he was most welcome and I felt privileged to be able to follow his ride closely having done a ride around the paddock myself, albeit at a much slower touring pace. It's not an easy place to do long rides in.

As close as I was (in Canberra) to the start where Bam took off, my own commitments prevented me from doing the run down the east coast to Melbourne with him. I now regret that missed opportunity. No worries, I thought, so I did a heap of re-shuffling of other things so that I would be able to do a quick run way north of Sydney and pick him up somewhere for a tail-gunner ride back to Blakehurst and the finish of an epic ride.

Alas, that wasn't to be. Today is the day he should have been breezing down the Freeways north of Sydney, through the city and on to the finish sometime after dark, perhaps a little before. As the sun sets today, I'll remember a bloke I never met and a ride that wasn't completed. I hope that Kellie, the rest of the family, his friends and riding companions can hold on to the good memories you espoused and not dwell too long on the bad ones.

Many here know the perils of what we do but it doesn't make it any easier to deal with even when we are not directly involved. Our IBA Aus Memorial site has the names of people I knew as friends, colleagues of the road, or by the writings of their deeds having never met them. Kevin 'Bam' Baker is another who will foremost in my thoughts this evening and probably long into the future. Vale Bam.

Mick.

Biggles

Premier Member
I have been wondering whether a plaque might be placed at Netallie for Bam, since he has made such an impact on our lives.
This afternoon my wife said she saw in my diary that Bam was scheduled to ride through Brisbane today. She asked when I was going to link up with him and I had to tell her it wasn't going to happen. She asked why I hadn't told her last Saturday. The fact is, I just didn't have the heart to bring to her attention the fact that sometimes these big rides don't end well. Especially as I intend to add to the ones I've already achieved.

MIXR

I have been wondering whether a plaque might be placed at Netallie for Bam, since he has made such an impact on our lives.
Was thinking the same thing Biggles. Kellie would need to give her ok and our management team would have to agree. This is all still playing out for the family, so perhaps a matter for a bit later on. A plaque with a Canadian Maple Leaf would be a fitting tribute for our visiting friend. It is a place for remembering IBA riders here in Aus. He became one of us in a big way. I'm sure the cost would not be an issue with donations from those who followed the journey.

TJ or Gatey - What is the cost of a plaque and is this a possibility? Where would we send a donation for manufacture and installation? Or do we leave this on hold for a bit?

I concur on waiting a bit before crossing these bridges so far as bigger and public memorial items, beyond perhaps little personal things for our own bikes or whatnot. I'm absolutely positive Kellie has her hands full right now and being asked about this sort of stuff is extremely low priority likely.

Nobody is forgetting Kevin anytime soon, so I don't feel there's a rush personally.

Last edited:

tj189

Premier Member
I concur on waiting a bit before crossing these bridges so far as bigger and public memorial items, beyond perhaps little personal things for our own bikes or whatnot. I'm absolutely positive Kellie has her hands full right now and being asked about this sort of stuff is extremely low priority likely.

Nobody is forgetting Kevin anytime soon, so I don't feel there's a rush personally.
A nice gesture Biggles, we would concur with MIXR and PrivatePilot.
see Post #282

tj189

Premier Member
In consideration of the family wishes;
It is a tough time for the family, and whilst we will inevitably appreciate all of your thoughts and love, we would ask not to reach out too quickly, as to not overwhelm us, as we do already have much to be overwhelmed with, we just thought to share the news as he touched many lives, and we thought you should know.

we have closed this thread to replies for the time being

Status
Not open for further replies.