Ride Around VIrginia

lakota

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
lap of Virginia 1.jpg

Bottom Line Up Front – I did 986 odometer miles (999 GPS) in 20h36m

Here is the story. Got up Monday at 0300 and was out the door at 0345. Rode to Alexandria, VA, got my start receipt at an Exxon Station, and the ride began officially at 0434. For whatever reason I could not get a good picture of the odometer/receipt and wasted 7 minutes trying to get something I would use. Finally got on the road and the ride down I-95 and then Rte 17 was uneventful. Expected to see lots of deer around Camp A P Hill but there was only one. Sunrise was as I arrived in Tappahannock and the first mandatory stop. Then on to Virginia Beach. Things were going great till I got to the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel and then SLOOOOW. Gave the clock gods 30 minutes getting over to Norfolk. The gas station I had planned for the Virginia Beach receipt was not there. Fortunately, there was another close by so there was no time lost. However, I continue to wonder why I feel uncomfortable riding in Tidewater. Always think I am lost. Strange. The ride across Virginia from VA Beach to Bristol is tedious. I never knew that Virginia was almost 400 miles across. Leaving Bristol, the rest of the ride was to be easy going with nothing but Interstate. Not so fast buckeroo. Near Salem VA there were 3 separate accidents that had traffic barely moving and in some places stopped. The K1600GTLE does not like stop and go traffic and began to overheat. I got in the right land and rode the shoulder for a few miles and, with several of my now close friends, bailed on I-81 at the first exit we found. Traffic in Salem was not much better. Eventually I had enough and just turned South to get around the city. Thanks to my friend Jack Airlie, who was on the phone with me and using google maps to find roads to get back to 81 on the far side of the mess. This added about 4 miles and 2 hours to the ride. From here there were no more problems and I got back to the Alexandria Exxon at 0110. No problem with the finish picture. Then it was 43 miles back home. Was in bed at 0230. A nice 23 ½ hour day.
The ride description says this ride is about 1080 miles, but I do not understand why it would be so long. So, it may be that I do not get credit for this if the intent that the ride arounds are supposed to be 1000+. Whatever. It was a good ride that did not answer the question if I will really ride the GSA in stead of the K16 in June.

lakota

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I am planning a May 1 early morning start from Virginia Beach heading CCW. Want to get in and out of Alexandria as quickly as possible.
ride safe and have fun. don't get frustrated by the traffic on 95 between Fredericksburg and Alexandria and on I-66 till you get west of RTE 17.

MotoToph

Mototoph
Premier Member
I am planning on doing this in the near future starting from Va Beach. On the non required DBR stops; do I need to actually stop there or drive into city limits? For Example, 58 goes past Franklin without going "into" town. Is it acceptable to pass by on 58. It's technically in city limits, just on the outskirts.

BTW i just did my first SS1000 yesterday and e-submitted the documents today.

mkao1248

Premier Member
If using spotwalla or other satellite tracking system and can map the ride then only a receipt is need in certain cities. I use Bubbler and Spotwalla and just stay on RT 58 without stopping in Franklin because it is still in the city limits.

I also start in Virginia Beach at the Wawa on Va Beach Blvd and First Colonial. Completed 4 times and will be number 5 to coincide with USMC Birthday on Nov. 10. A couple extra stops for pictures of USMC historical markers etc.

MotoToph

Mototoph
Premier Member
If using spotwalla or other satellite tracking system and can map the ride then only a receipt is need in certain cities. I use Bubbler and Spotwalla and just stay on RT 58 without stopping in Franklin because it is still in the city limits.

I also start in Virginia Beach at the Wawa on Va Beach Blvd and First Colonial. Completed 4 times and will be number 5 to coincide with USMC Birthday on Nov. 10. A couple extra stops for pictures of USMC historical markers etc.
Thank you. That's what I was thinking. I am also starting at the same WAWA! I live in Salem Woods, but figured I would go to First Colonial to get the extra miles. I am already not looking forward to 58 enroute to Bristol! Well, maybe only Emporia :). Attached is my planned Basecamp route for the Ride. I will be using Spotwalla.

That's a good idea for the ride to coincide with the birthday! I was planning on Nov 12th as I am off that day. I may reverse my route to miss the afternoon NOVA traffic. But then I don't know whats worse; morning or evening?

Attachments

nudihjn

Premier Member
Thanks for the write up! Did the ride around SC about 2-weeks ago. Hilton Head, Charleston, & Myrtle Beach areas were heavy traffic.. Took about 22 hours & 1025 GPS miles.
R1250GS

Last edited:

SeabeeCapt

Premier Member
There is a Military Birthday ride(s) created by my friend Doug Vance.
I emailed him to respond and explain the concept and to encourage these Patriotic rides.
Ride Safe, Think Fast!
Robert

Ps HAPPY EARLY 246th BIRTHDAY TO US!