Ride Around Virginia

AirbusFlieger

@Ira @igneouss @Russ Black @EricV @mkao1248 and all,

Thank you so much for the sound advice!

I will be posting up a route tonight for a pre-ride peer review. The 8-14 day forecast for temperatures and precipitation look good for an early morning Friday launch. Start/Stop will be Winchester VA as I live not far. I may stay in a hotel in Winchester to be fresh for an early departure; target time 5am.
https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/814day/

@Ira

To confirm, a SS1000 may be nested with a Ride Around Virginia?

I do not have any IBA rides so far, so my priority is a SS1000 to earn membership. I thought a SS1000 with a theme would be more enjoyable and challenging than just a run up and down interstates for 18 hours.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
To confirm, a SS1000 may be nested with a Ride Around Virginia?
No. A Ride Around Virginia IS a SS1000 ride. It's just one of many types of SS1K rides. You may not claim two rides. You may not nest two rides where you, by default, had to do one of them to do the other. Yes, you can do the Ride Around Virginia as your first IBA ride. If successful, it will also qualify as an In State ride for VA, but it's still one ride. You will want to clarify when you submit the ride that you would like it recognized as an VA In State ride.

The classic example of nested rides is doing a BB1500 ride and nesting a SS1K inside it. It is not necessary to complete a SS1K ride in order to complete a BB1500 in 36 hours. It's totally possible to ride less than 1000 miles in the first 24 hours and still finish the 1500 miles within the 36 hour time limit.

On the other hand, it is possible to ride 1000 miles within 24 hours for the SS1K, then continue on for another 500 miles to complete the BB1500 within 36 hours.

The opposite example is trying to nest a SS1K inside a BBG1500. The Bun Burner Gold ride is 1500 miles in 24 hours. You, by default, had to have ridden an SS1K in 24 hours in order to complete the BBG1500 in 24 hours, so you can NOT nest those two rides.

AirbusFlieger

No. A Ride Around Virginia IS a SS1000 ride. It's just one of many types of SS1K rides. You may not claim two rides. You may not nest two rides where you, by default, had to do one of them to do the other. Yes, you can do the Ride Around Virginia as your first IBA ride. If successful, it will also qualify as an In State ride for VA, but it's still one ride. You will want to clarify when you submit the ride that you would like it recognized as an VA In State ride.

The classic example of nested rides is doing a BB1500 ride and nesting a SS1K inside it. It is not necessary to complete a SS1K ride in order to complete a BB1500 in 36 hours. It's totally possible to ride less than 1000 miles in the first 24 hours and still finish the 1500 miles within the 36 hour time limit.

On the other hand, it is possible to ride 1000 miles within 24 hours for the SS1K, then continue on for another 500 miles to complete the BB1500 within 36 hours.

The opposite example is trying to nest a SS1K inside a BBG1500. The Bun Burner Gold ride is 1500 miles in 24 hours. You, by default, had to have ridden an SS1K in 24 hours in order to complete the BBG1500 in 24 hours, so you can NOT nest those two rides.
Now I understand. I did not realize a Ride Around VA was a type of SS1000.

I’m a former crayon-eater (Marine) so I need things to be explicitly stated and my reading comprehension is not always the best:)

AirbusFlieger

That's a re-occurring theme with SS1K rides. You can plan any kind of fun you want, but it needs to map out to over 1000 miles to qualify as a SS1K ride. Two Laps of Dovers You could be the first!
Good gravy who knew there were so many Dover's!

That's quite the challenge... Lets see how the Ride Around VA goes.

More route jiggering tonight. I'll post it up when I can.

AirbusFlieger

Thank you @mkao1248

Just arrived yesterday and today:
-Garmin Zumo XT
-Quad Lock iPhone mount with Ram ball and wireless charging/vibration damping
-Sena SF2

Getting wired onto bike tomorrow.
https://new.spotwalla.com/trip/c918-24adab58-34dd/view

Here is a spotwalla link from one of my Ride around Virginia July 2021.
That looks great!
My “peak” of VA is a little east of yours to add miles.
My plan is to get the miles early in NOVA while I’m fresh and it’s relatively rural, then hit the city limits of the other mandatory DBR cities right off the highway to no get snarled in traffic.

AirbusFlieger

Anyone know how to upload my route from the Garmin Zumo XT to this site?

I'm an Apple/Mac user. I do not have a Windows emulator.

I do have an SD card installed in the unit and the route is saved as a .gpx file on the unit. I think it shared with my Gaia and a my iCloud but I have to dig around.

I'm tech handicapped....

Russ Black

Premier Member
Future Planned Route:
You can do a screen shot (Command, Shift, 3) from Basecamp or Google Maps or you can share the route via a link using Google Maps.

Past Ridden Route:
You can read the data from the GPS into Basecamp. The actual route ridden will be the "Tracks" that are indicated with a pair of feet icon and will usually be at the bottom of the imported data. You can display them in Basecamp by selecting them and then do a screenshot. The best way is either the link to or screenshot of the Spotwalla page for that ride.

Last edited:

AirbusFlieger

@Russ Black thank you.

I’m behind schedule..

Wiring up now: Zumo XT, QuadLock w wireless charging head for iPhone, dual USB charger plug rated at 5a total with a digital voltmeter, Sena SF2 onto helmet later tonight. Charging in dry only for those (Sena and Garmin) plugs but weather is supposed to be good.

Saddlebags go on in the morning, possibly a windshield but it buffeted so badly when I first tried it it’s been in a box waiting to be trimmed way down . Not sure I have time for that.

Maintenance on bike is done.

Leaves me with two independent navigators (Garmin, iPhone w Gaia) and three trackers (Garmin, iPhone/Gaia, Spot XT) all have power. iPhone has all weather power, the rest have dry weather power. I will run the dry power plugs at all times while dry so as to have full batt capacity at the start of any precipitation.

My 2003 Deuce is ready to cry having all this tech going on!

Last edited:

AirbusFlieger

Many thanks to @mkao1248 for excellent advice and a fruitful phone call.

Darn it. Am I missing the window? Weather has been awesome and I've pushed my ride three days prepping the bike and trying to stay on top of daily obligations (kids).

I'm getting competing forecasts from weather.com An occluded front across the southern US eastern border from Houston to the FL panhandle.
https://weather.com/news/weather/video/holiday-weekend-to-see-heavy-rain-in-the-south

I ride my Harley pretty hard... I have "summer" tires on them currently, and they are not great in the rain.

IMG_2058.jpeg

Final wiring of accessories will be complete today. I have a H-D Deuce, which has a top console that runs the length of the tank. Instead of dropping the fuel tank and routing under the tank, the three power supply cables I need fit neatly under the console, a big win for simplicity.

Plan is to hotel it in Winchester tonight, launch at 5am going clockwise. There is a bypass around the west side of Winchester that will give me an extra 20 miles or so if I need it in Winchester at the end of the ride. Also, thanks to some advice, I will go a bit deeper into VA Beach to add a few more miles which was told to me adds not very much time or traffic.

Route:
1217 Berryville Ave, Winchester, VA 22601
141 E Main St, Purcellville, VA 20132
57 E Broad Way, Lovettsville, VA 20180
6241 Richmond Hwy, Alexandria, VA 22303
10239 Patriot Hwy, Fredericksburg, VA 22407
928 Church Ln, Tappahannock, VA 22560
104 Crawford Rd Yorktown, VA 23690
5701 Northampton Blvd, Virginia Beach, VA 23455
2307 South St, Franklin, VA 23851
3103 W Main St, Danville, VA 24541
809 E Main St, Independence, VA 24348
1136 Old Airport Rd, Bristol, VA 24202
600 E Nelson St, Lexington, VA 24450
701 Port Republic Rd, Harrisonburg, VA 22801
1217 Berryville Ave, Winchester, VA 22601

This route yields 1017 miles on H-D's routing planner. I like it because it is easy to use and allows lots of addresses. I used specific addresses to nail down the route in my GPS and for mileage/verification purposes.

I am still planning to depart tomorrow 5am, clockwise. If the weather gets really sketchy with heavy rain I will abandon the ride attempt and get hotel.

Occluded fronts are a b--tch to forecast and predict....

@mkao1248

AirbusFlieger

Future Planned Route:
You can do a screen shot (Command, Shift, 3) from Basecamp or Google Maps or you can share the route via a link using Google Maps.

Past Ridden Route:
You can read the data from the GPS into Basecamp. The actual route ridden will be the "Tracks" that are indicated with a pair of feet icon and will usually be at the bottom of the imported data. You can display them in Basecamp by selecting them and then do a screenshot. The best way is either the link to or screenshot of the Spotwalla page for that ride.
I used several specific addresses for my route, Google Maps won't let me go past 9 fixes.

AirbusFlieger

That worked!

Showing 901 on Google Maps, and 1017 on H-D ride planning..... ugh... I can't believe it's only 901 on Google Maps.

Bristol is missing!

@Russ Black I can't figure out how to add Bristol

New Virginia Beach address:
705 22nd St, Virginia Beach, VA 23451

Missing address
1136 Old Airport Rd, Bristol, VA 24202

Last edited: