Robert Pirsig passes

chfnelson

Premier Member
"Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" author Robert M. Pirsig dead at 88."

http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2017/04...enance-author-robert-m-pirsig-dead-at-88.html

Robert M. Pirsig, author of “Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance” died at his home in South Berwick, Maine on April 24.

"Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" ideally suited a generation's yearning for the open road, quest for knowledge and skepticism of modern values, while also telling a personal story about a father and son relationship and the author's struggles with schizophrenia.

Hampe

Not Right Rider
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
...handed over to me by a motorcycling mate I did my military service with, at the age of 20.
"This is to much for me. perhaps it suits you better".

I didn't. I did numerous attempts at getting "in" to it, but even though seemingly being about the things I loved so much, it was hard to digest.
But I kept it! I knew that I'd grow up and be able to link myself with the wisdom that I somehow understood it was hidning.

It sat there for years, for decades, and I had no need at all to read it.
Then I happened to hear that Jens, my buddy from the military service went up and died.
Like 10 years ago now. Cancer, that he apparently had been struggling with for years.
News was brought to me waay after his funeral, but what better way was there to honor him than to sit down in the quiet part of the house, and finally open up the book?
And not only open the book up, but actually more... ...open up to the book.

Because that is what is needed, in order to link yourself with the things that the author wishes to convey, and speak to you about.
That was my feeling, the first time I really managed to see behide the obvious - the pages, the words, the sentenses. A conversation with the author.

Well, he's gone now. Time to pick the book up again, and honor the author this time, by once again entering his universe, and try to pick up new ways of looking at life.

Sorry, I guess I am preaching to the choir here. I have never met such a high density of people inclined for down to earth philosopy and everyday wisdom as amongst the LD-community. Guess we all have time to think when we are out riding - and better yet: think things through when the miles keep rolling in under us.
"Meditaion in motion" is a good epiteth for the LD-riding, if you are so inclined.

So, if any of you by chance have not yet read the book - then maybe you should try.
Clearly a different experience.

Hampe

Last edited:

trueblue550

Premier Member
Such an amazing read; it truly changed the way I look at the world. I have been planning a ride through Bozeman, MT mostly because of how he described that setting in the book.