Route 70 end to end

I recently completed riding route 70 from Baltimore, MD to Cove Fort, Utah. I did it in 39 hours. I have all my dated receipts and witness forms signed. I don't have any Spotwalla tracking and I have no idea why. My Garmin connect didn't work either and I don't know why. I did have my Google location on and it proves that I made the trip. Is it worth sending in my documentation for a certificate if I don't have the Spotwalla tracking? Would I be eligible for a BBS without the tracking? Thanks for any help. Ed Bishop IBA member 74723.

Attachments

I used the USB cable and opened Basecamp but I don't see any way to retrieve route history. I don't see where it ever tracked me through the GPS.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
The rules state, pretty explicitly:

------------------------
Satellite tracking displayed on a SpotWalla trip map is required for the Interstate End to End series. It is your responsibility to ensure the satellite tracking functions well enough to demonstrate you remained on the primary Interstate route. Using the DBR or satellite tracking device OK or Custom marker at key locations may be necessary. When in doubt, mark it; when really in doubt, get a DBR.
-----------------------

That said, the basic rule for all our certificate rides is that you need to be able to demonstrate you rode the ride you claim by providing sufficient documentation to do so. So I would recommend you submit the ride documentation you do have, along with a note regarding the lack of Spotwalla track. Ultimately, it will be up to the verification team to determine if you meed the standard. But you don't have anything to lose by submitting - we don't charge for the ride unless it is approved.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

dmcqueeney

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
I recently completed riding route 70 from Baltimore, MD to Cove Fort, Utah. I did it in 39 hours. I have all my dated receipts and witness forms signed. I don't have any Spotwalla tracking and I have no idea why. My Garmin connect didn't work either and I don't know why. I did have my Google location on and it proves that I made the trip. Is it worth sending in my documentation for a certificate if I don't have the Spotwalla tracking? Would I be eligible for a BBS without the tracking? Thanks for any help. Ed Bishop IBA member 74723.
Ed ... Your SpotWalla Trip settings haven’t been mentioned yet. You could confirm the start & end dates & times for the SpotWalla Trip, and change them now, if incorrect. These parameters are enterable or changeable anytime -- before or after the Trip -- since they basically serve as a filter to isolate the Trip view from all your recorded SpotWalla data.
We don’t require receipts along the way from specific locations for the IE2E rides. However, the SpotWalla tracking is essential to the verification that the ride included the entire Interstate and did not deviate from the Interstate. The I-70 web page identifies several shortcuts & bypasses, warning the rider to avoid such excursions.
I’m sure you appreciate the importance of SpotWalla tracking. In fairness to riders who successfully met the stated requirements for their IE2E rides, and to preserve the value of their earned certificates, approval of a ride that lacks tracking seems doubtful.
For future rides, a short ride to test the entire tracking process just before starting would be prudent -- from review of settings all the way through viewing the SpotWalla Trip.
Regards ... Dave

I filled out the paperwork and sent my packet in last weekend. I put in an explanation of the ride and can only hope for the best. I sent two separate
checks in case one ride is certified and the other is not. Either way I know what I did and I am proud of my achievement. If I ever do it again i will have to figure out all the Spotwalla, Bubbler stuff.

Just curious. If you don't get certified for a ride do you get notified? My end to end ride is understandably questionable, but my BBS should be good. I checked with the post office and tracking says my submission arrived on Sept. 10. Neither of my checks have been cashed. Should I just be more patient? Merry Christmas everyone. Just sent Christmas cards to all my witnesses.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Yes, we contact you in either case

Right now, it can take 14 weeks or so for us to complete a verification.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Ira DIDN'T say this using these words but my sarcastic humor will---- If you don't submit what you have you will NOT be getting that Certification BUT if you do submit what you have and explanations you just may!