Route Planning - Basic

I have been working through the basecamp tutorial and using it to create some simple routes I have used on a couple recent rides.

I have a question for anyone familiar with the 2018 goldwing nav system. When I export a route from basecamp and import it into the nav system, the waypoints lose their names and are converted to addresses and worse, are listed in incorrect order.

Is there a known cure for this or is this why I should hate the nav system and buy a Garmin?

Thanks,

While I've never documented a ride in a manner to be awarded an IBA certificate (yet) I have done a number of cross country rides. Many before GPS of similar tech was available to consumers. I tended to navigate by planning my routes on paper maps, writing a few directions if I start veering off of freeways and making liberal use of the maps at rest stops. It's possible to overthink this stuff. Given the distances we try to cover for these awards the interstate is the best bet to maximize our time/distance. and it's a lot harder to get lost that way. State highways and backroads often take considerably more time to rack up the miles but even then they are pretty straight forward. I don't need a computer to tell me that my next turn is in 236 miles, it's likely that there will be a sign for it or I can ask at a gas station.

These days for planning I use Google Maps and H-D's ride planning tool, just to get comparisons of distance/time. I still love paper maps and atlases because they spur the imagination in ways that Google just can't.

So, my final take is to ignore the tech and ride. When I rode from Seattle to Lafayette LA I knew that I was headed SE. I looked at a map and figured out what interstates I needed and didn't sweat it. Doing long butt busting rides requires more mental preparation than it does tech preparation.

And that's my two cents.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
I have a question for anyone familiar with the 2018 goldwing nav system. When I export a route from basecamp and import it into the nav system, the waypoints lose their names and are converted to addresses and worse, are listed in incorrect order.
You may find one of the Goldwing forums may be a better place to ask this specific question, but...some of those people get to be a bit sensitive at times. ;)

So, in the BC tutorial, you were given what the differences are between routepoints, and waypoints. I *think* (don't hold me to this...) that GPS uses routepoints! The 2012-2017 GL1800 GPS also uses routepoints, NOT waypoints.

Confused? You should be. The only foolproof method is to number your routepoint names:

01-First Name
02-Second Name

...and so on. THEN is when you export the route to a GPX file, when it's exactly in the sequence you want.

Part of the issue is that MapQuest/Basecamp are Garmin products. The 2018+ Goldwing GPS is *not* a Garmin product, but one made by Harman Kardon. The Garmin mapping software adds a lot of extra crap - does the 2018+ GPS sufficiently ignore the extra crap generated for Garmin uses? I don't have that answer.

I can really go down the rat-hole on this topic. Essentially the bike's GPS wants to figure out the routing by doing:

Here's the points I want to go to, find the routing, create it and take me there.

Getting it to do it this way? It took effort, but I can get the 2012-2017 GL1800 GPS to do this, too:

Here's the points and the specific route I want to do. Don't calculate it, just show what I've already routed to me.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
TrackoBit is a fleet management service out of Northern India. Pricing is not public and it doesn't offer solutions for our needs. From one of only 4 reviews dated March of 23:

Cons: Their route optimisation part is yet to come and so is the driver app. I wanted the driver app with the existing solution but they asked for 6 months' time for that as it was under development.