Route planning tools?

Wife and I are planning a trip from NJ to Nova Scotia, it’s about 850mi, we want to make it a SS1000. When planning through GoogleMaps we can drag the route really easily to get to 1030mi but then when we export it back to the phone it recalibrates and we lose our perfect planning. We can only add 8 waypoints through google so we can’t plan the entire route.

What do you all use for your route plans? We looked at Rever for a moment but we’d rather ask some experts.

Thanks all!

Firstpeke

I use Google only to get the outline and to check on fuel stops etc....

Then to get the route in to my nav device, in this case a Garmin, I use ITN converter, or more usually Tyre....

https://itn-converter.software.informer.com/1.9/

https://tyre2navigate.com/?lang=en

With Tyre I can send to Garmin as a gpx file, with ITN converter I can change it to other types including for Google Earth and Google Maps.

Personally I haven't tried saving in those formats but it is a good tool and of course it's free,

Tyre allows drag to alter route, ITN does not, but you can add a waypoint if required.

HTH

Wife and I are planning a trip from NJ to Nova Scotia, it’s about 850mi, we want to make it a SS1000. When planning through GoogleMaps we can drag the route really easily to get to 1030mi but then when we export it back to the phone it recalibrates and we lose our perfect planning. We can only add 8 waypoints through google so we can’t plan the entire route.

What do you all use for your route plans? We looked at Rever for a moment but we’d rather ask some experts.

Thanks all!
In google maps to make it keep your route and not make the quickest route, you have to put a pin. so in google maps click add a spot and click somewhere on the road that makes the map go the way you want it to. Otherwise it will revert back to quickest route

Google MyMaps, Google Maps in your browser and mobile app are very different but still connected. Have you planned your route in mymaps.Google.com? You can have 10 waypoints there, if that’s not enough just build multiple direction layers. To get Google Maps mobile to follow that indirect navigation you need to add a waypoint along that route in MyMaps as someone else said, then just navigate point to point using your route map in the mobile app. You can also build a indirect route by dragging the blue route line wherever you want them save the map as a KML file, convert it to GPX and drop it in a Garmin which will follow that custom route.

I use google maps to plot my route(s), then create a written, turn-by-turn script which I put in the clear pouch of my tank bag.

I use my GPS solely as a rolling road map to let me know of upcoming turns.

Everything is visual - the script and the map on the GPS.

It's kinda old school, with a twist, but this deal works real well for me.

Last edited:

Terrywerm

I used to use Microsoft Streets and Trips and still double check against it once in a while, but support for it ended several years ago. I was able to print out turn by turn instructions to carry with me and it worked very well. Sort of old fashioned, but it still worked well.

Now I have a Garmin Zumo and use Basecamp for all of my planning, both for the bike and for long trips in the car. I have come to really like it as planning and uploading to the Garmin are both quite easy. Sadly, Garmin is dropping support for Basecamp too.

So, my last option is Google Maps. I don't mind it on the computer, but I despise it for planning on my phone. The one redeeming feature is that it is excellent for getting fairly accurate traffic information.

Just my $.02 worth.