RTIC/Yeti Jug mount ideas needed for R1200GSA.

mkao1248

Premier Member
In search of how folks are mounting the Yeti gallon jug holder on a 1200GSA. Thinking of the left or right rear foot peg.

I already have the motojug setup from previously using a Coleman gallon jug but want to switch to using the actual Yeti jug holder but I am unable the figure out how to build and mount a plate to the foot peg.

Any and all ideas are appreciated.

Thanks

Martin

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I just removed the rubber sleeve, drilled one additional hole in the foot peg, then bolted a flat aluminum plate to the peg with two bolts using the one existing hole. I can't recall if I needed to enlarge the existing hole or not. This was for a dish type mount, not the genuine Yeti jug holder. If you use the bottom mount points on the Yeti it should be fine. It's intended to be mounted side or bottom, you don't need to use both.

Ideally, you would get someone to cut the aluminum plate in a round size the same or slightly larger than the jug mount, but just cutting off the corners so it isn't a hazard to your leg works too. I used a reciprocating saw to cut the profile. Sorry, no pictures.

Ninemmsig

Premier Member
I just used a 1” stainless self-tapping screw. The hole is not noticeable when I remove it. It is mounted on the right side passenger footboard. I also use a steel tether, attached to my backrest, I case it comes loose. Oops, sorry, just realized you’re on a 1200GSA. Not sure how the foot pegs are situated/shaped. My install is on a Goldwing.

craydds

Premier Member
In search of how folks are mounting the Yeti gallon jug holder on a 1200GSA. Thinking of the left or right rear foot peg.

I already have the motojug setup from previously using a Coleman gallon jug but want to switch to using the actual Yeti jug holder but I am unable the figure out how to build and mount a plate to the foot peg.

Any and all ideas are appreciated.

Thanks

Martin
Martin, I went with the Motojug for a one gallon RTIC stainless steel jug. https://www.motojug.com/shop/p/stainlessstealmotojug . I like the simplicity and easy mounting, and removal when not needed. Thought about a permanent mount like the Yeti setup: https://www.yeti.com/drinkware/accessories/21070180001.html. Decided that I didn't want the jug permanently attached. Bought an RTIC jug instead of the Yeti: https://rticoutdoors.com/Jugs?name=Jug&size=One-Gallon&color=Stainless&material=Matte .

Neerbeer

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Martin, I had a custom bracket fabricated that I designed to replace the passenger foot peg. You can see here I mounted it on my FJR but a similar concept would work on your GSA as well. I had mine made out of aluminum to save a little weight but it could be fabricated out of steel just as easily. It was something a local awning manufacture made up for me based on my drawings. If you would like me to send a copy of my drawings to you I would be happy to do that as well.
Yeti 2.JPG Yeti 3.JPG
Yeti 1.JPG
You can also see that I had the piece of square bar extended both directions so I could swap the mount to either side of the bike depending on my preference.
Brian

Attachments

Last edited:

Neerbeer

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Thanks Steve. No cracking issues to date. The plate was notched to allow the bar to be welded on two sides of it on each side of the plate if that makes sense.

keithu

Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
Wow, that's pretty fancy. I operate on the principle that the weight of the jug and holder should be supported by the footpeg, which is designed to support quite a bit more weight than one gallon of water. My brackets don't support any weight, they simply locate the jug holder so its weight remains on the footpeg. This includes some very rudimentary brackets that bolt to the bottom of the Yeti holder and wrap around the footpeg. Yes, I know they look flimsy as heck but they only need to prevent the holder from slipping off the peg:

IMG_20220607_135443s.jpg

RAM balls and an arm attach the top of the holder to the muffler hanger, again just to keep it in the correct orientation.
IMG_20220607_135400s.jpg

So far this arrangement has worked for about 2k miles on the Multistrada and ~20k miles on my FJ-09. No issues at all, and it goes on/off in less than five minutes.
2022_0422_16472900s.jpg

In this photo you can kind of see how the bracket wraps around the footpeg:
2021_0723_05493900s.jpg

Gerry Arel

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Eric V's suggestion is what I was going to do, its easy and secure. Luckily I was able to obtain a machined foot-peg replacement adapter that was drilled for mounting the holder. I just swapped that in place of the foot-peg.

After thousands of miles with my moto-jug I was bummed that it doesn't really mount well to the peg on the GSA, too much lean and way to much movement, the straps kept loosening. I use it for my other bike but have the Yeti mounted to my footpeg on the GSA

Greg Rice

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I am using Garauld TechWorks hydration system on my GSA. It ahs a part that replaces the passenger foot peg.

I use a different jug and water hose.

igneouss

Premier Member
I have a Yetti 1 gallon jug and the mounting/holder they make for it. The mounting has threaded screw holes. Mine came with screws. Easy to find and see on line.
I had some scrap aluminum bar around the garage. Maybe 1 inch wide and 3/16 thick. Obtainable at Lowes/Home Depot/Ace/etc.
Bent the bar into a squared off 'C' shape (2 each). Drilled and bolted to front end of aluminum side case at location that it allowed the jug to rest on the passenger foot peg. Bolted opposite side of 'C' to jug holder at the factory threaded holes. Thus you have about 1 inch of stand off from the side case, and the side case lid can open without interference. It felt firm but I put a zip tie on the bottom of the jug holder to inhibit any vibration. About the only draw back is that if I want to remove the side case I need to cut the zip tie.

mkao1248

Premier Member
Great ideas from everyone and I do appreciate them all. I have acquired a set of spare rear foot pegs for the GSA and have removed the rubber insert from the right side with the plan of getting an aluminum plate to bolt / possibly weld to the peg that will be large enough to use the 4 bolt pattern of the yeti jug holder. I also plan to use the Ram Mount idea to attach the upper side to the frame somewhere to give some more rigidity.

Easy to remove the whole peg and replace with original if I need to ride 2-up (Rarely).

Now to just reach out to some welder friends for some help. Thanks.

keithu

Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
It felt firm but I put a zip tie on the bottom of the jug holder to inhibit any vibration. About the only draw back is that if I want to remove the side case I need to cut the zip tie.
That's a good idea. My crappy-looking metal band that wraps around the footpeg is basically just doing the job of a zip tie. That might actually be better now that you mention it.

igneouss

Premier Member
I figure I don't remove the side case very often. But if I do I can easily cut the zip tie and replace it later. I do not have a pillion seat so no passengers so the lack of changes to the foot peg are not important to me. Just trying to keep it simple.

That's a good idea. My crappy-looking metal band that wraps around the footpeg is basically just doing the job of a zip tie. That might actually be better now that you mention it.

Gerry Arel

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Easy to remove the whole peg and replace with original if I need to
Granted my pillion seat is gone so i won't be 2-up ... but my mistake was in not checking the clearance of the metal base that holds the jug holder over the footpeg. Once installed, the base covers the footpeg pin. So no way I'm removing it easily without unbolting the entire assembly from the mount. 2 extra seconds of test-fit would have alleviated this issue.

Just passing it on as you're cobbling your together.