Sad news....

It is with great sadness to post this.

Last Sunday 19th Feb 2023 around 8.45am two of our IBA members, brothers Ken and Lindsay Topperwien were involved in an accident with a car while riding west of Ravensthorpe WA. Sadly Ken passed away at the scene of the accident. Lindsay suffered severe injuries and was flown to Royal Perth Hospital were he remains in ICU.

Condolances to Ken's and Lindsay's families and all their friends during this tragic time.

R.I.P Ken Topperwien (Toppy) IBA # 58086, FarRider # 557.

Our thoughts are with Lindsay and his family during his recovery period.

Gatey

Premier Member
IBA Member
We are a small community which feels grief hard.
Another state, a whole other side of the country away but friends and mates we are united.
RIP Ken.
Thoughts and condolences to all the family.

Very saddened to read Lynne's post re Ken Topperwien. I had met and knew who Ken and Lyndsay were, and a had a wee bit to do with their dad in the very late 1960s, and again with Ken and Lyndsay (just) in 1986/87).

Ken's wife went through years 7 to 10, and maybe years 11 & 12 (memory is getting a bit faint) also, but at a different school with me. Ken will be greatly missed by his wife Lesley and many within his extended family. The prayers and good wishes of that (mostly) same extended family will be voiced and extended to Lyndsay and his family also.

The people of the west are very inclusive and friendly family people. This news for me came first from one of my old school friends in the west who happens to be one of Lesley's close friends.

What a shock to find out this sad, sad news.

Eliot (ShrinkRider)

Skidoo

Premier Member
Shocking news.
Condolences to Ken's and Lindsay's family and all their friends during this difficult time.
Lindsay, heal fast mate.

Biggles

Premier Member
From an OZStoc member also on a Wing who was following:

"Sunday morning 19th Feb Lindsay on his new GL1800 and his brother Ken on his recently purchased 2009 GL1800 were travelling west from Ravensthorpe WA.
With CC set they were doing about 108 to 110.
A car with a small U-Haul trailer on it was travelling in the opposite direction.
It appears that the driver lost control crossing on to Lindsay's side of the road and colliding head on with Lindsay.
The car and trailer then took out Ken before rolling over and ending up in the ditch on the side of the road.
I am very sure Ken was killed instantly.
Lindsay was flown to Perth.
I have just come from Royal Perth Hospital having visited Lindsay in ICU.
He was still sedated but has had his right leg amputated above the knee and there is some concern about his spleen.
He will have another operation on his leg tomorrow (Tuesday).
The above is my version off events. I was travelling about 500m to 1km behind Ken.
I looked up to see the car and trailer rolling over off the road and into the ditch.
It was not until I was almost at the car that I become aware of the extent of the incident.
This occurred about 40 kms west of Ravenshorpe at about 8:45 am."

cjmckay

Premier Member
While I didn't know either of the gents personally, this news is still tragic and saddening. My thoughts are with the families and Lindsay, the OZStoc member mentioned (and his family) and this community.

Scarp

Premier Member
So sorry to here of this, while I didn't know them well we spoke many times at FarRides & saw each other on the road. As Gus said it hits home when its someone you know RIP Ken, Best wishes on a speedy recovery Lyndsay

Dicky Knee

I never had the privilege of meeting Ken, but I look forward to meeting Lindsay at some point in the future.
My heart aches trying to comprehend the loss and hurt the respective families must be experiencing.
I am lost for words :(

RIP Ken. Best wishes for a speedy recovery Lindsay.

Tele

Premier Member
Absolutely tragic and so very, very sad. Sincere condolences to their entire family and all friends touched personally by this dreadful incident.

I am just posting this latest update from West Aussie Glen ( Wing rider who was with Ken and Lindsay )

Lindsay from his daughter
Hey Glen, mum is doing ok. She's been in to visit dad most mornings. She has 24/7 care organised.
Dad had his intubation tube removed today and sedation fully lifted. Tomorrow I should be able to talk to him a bit when I go in!
It's been a long 10 days but he should come out of ICU tomorrow or Friday. They will move him to the trauma ward for about a week and then to Fiona Stanley for rehab.
We are grateful for the progress he's made!

Also

Kens funeral will be next Tuesday 7th. Bikes and riders are welcome. Glen will post updates on the Southern Cross Distance Riders website. Please see scdr.au/forum
Cheers and be safe
Wombat (WA)

Nev..

Premier Member
Wow. I am saddened to read this. As with many of us over the east, I hadn't met Toppy, but I knew of him via FarRiders. It's a shock to hear that we've lost a member of the LD family in such random circumstances, by just being in the exact wrong place at the exact wrong time. Sometimes the universe is a bitch. All the best to Lindsay with his recovery from his life changing injuries.