Safe, legal, fun

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
Those with advanced rider training know about the hierarchy of consideration: safe, legal, smooth; smoothness can be sacrificed for legality or safety, legality can be sacrificed for safety but nothing is more important than safety.

In a post Covid-19 world I think we need to have a similar hierachy for IBA events. Certificate rides are easy, we all ride alone anyway; Brit Butt Tour is easy, we all ride alone anyway. What about rallies and RTEs? Even if HM govt says tomorrow that all restrictions are lifted and we can all go back to our old ways, I think that some things will remain changed and our own personal risk assessments will have altered. Safety is always going to be the paramount consideration but life's a bit of a waste if we're not having fun.

Never mind the law for the moment, what would be your concerns the next time an RTE is called?

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
I might not have phrased that correctly; what would you want done differently next time an RTE is called? What kind of venues? limits on numbers? avoiding bank holidays/weekends/Tuesdays? limits on distance travelled?

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
It might be wise to start with outdoor venues where people can spread out. The nature of an RTE is to get together and talk/share. Too close in groups is one of the best transmission methods for this virus. This with prolonged exposure is why Churches are such a transmission risk. That's about the worst place you could go, in terms of transmitting a virus to others. By comparison, a RTE with an inside venue would put riders too close together and invite group transmission risks.

At least with an outside RTE, people can choose to space themselves more and if it's previously agreed upon as a part of the function, hopefully that and being outside with more wind movement will avoid most of the risk.

Ian M

I don’t go to RTE, they always appear to be held in Saturdays and that is report writing day.

With regards to anything else and RTE, to quote a popularist politician we should use:
"good, solid British common sense", in interpreting his new lockdown rules (so as you were in January then).

In view of the latest data from the Office for National Statistics (ONS) suggests that just 0.24 per cent of adults – approximately 136,000 people – have the virus. Separate surveillance by the Royal College of GPs indicates it may be even less.
Figures released last week showed just 0.037 per cent of people have the virus, although this is likely to be lower than the actual number because few people are visiting doctors with symptoms. An epidemic is declared if the surveillance rate exceeds 40 per 10,000, but the new figures suggest it is between 24 and three in 10,000.

We should just get back to normal. So reinstate the RBLR, allow certificated rides and I’ll plan to do the lighthouse ride as i was going to this summer.

Don’t risk assess events - I’m sick to death of producing Covid 19 RAMS for work without considering social elements of life – JUST GET ON WITH IT

After all, you might just die on the stairs tripping up the cat or on the way to the event.

66.65 million (2019) is the population of this sceptred isle

Ahamay

The Joker
IBA Member
We could go to a location where we can maintain distance with our own food drink and PPE as cafe's pubs ect are not open.
As most people are furloughed from work we could hold it any day of the week

GSears

Dambuster... Bouncing panniers...
Premier Member
IBA Member
That would be a good shout. Probably do a Parliaments Ride to the venue. Enable the use of the Stranraer-Larne ferry