Santa's SS1000 on Christmas Day...UK

Kim Leeson

IBAUK Shopkeeper
Premier Member
IBA Member
Hi All,

I'm planning a Christmas Day SS1000, leaving Ipswich, Suffolk around 0400-0500 Christmas Day, my route is below and a link if you get bored with too much turkey...

1037 miles, 17:30 hours, weather is dry, somewhat sunny, but a bit on the cool side 5-9c, but nothing like the 50/50 SS1000 or last years RTE in Holland, brrrrr!...

Lands End is an option, but 24hr Tesco in Penzance is a definite, mostly motorways to take advantage of 24 hr Moto Services...plan the ride, ride the plan...
Merry Christmas everyone...

https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=1c3205c1f713741ee9&hoursPast=0&showAll=yes

SSS1000.JPG

Jonnyp

IBA Member
Apparently he had an altercation with a group of people earlier this morning....they were performing a Christmas re-enactment.... who knew you could find, three wise men and a virgin in Ipswich......;)

GSears

Dambuster... Bouncing panniers...
Premier Member
IBA Member
Kim

Well done on the Santa ride, 17 hours:eek:.

Hopefully my arrival timings will be as accurate for the Rides of March

Kim Leeson

IBAUK Shopkeeper
Premier Member
IBA Member
Thank you all...what a day...thought it would be warmer than the Dutch RTE...as soon as I left the virgins in Ipswich it hit - 4c heading up to Lowestoft, fog most of the day, no rain but wipers were on. LE is a bit of a faff after Penzance when you're on the clock, especially behind some Sunday drivers. 17 hours is right Mr. Sears, my best yet...but the highlight was lack of traffic, A30 was deserted, I mean no one for miles and miles.
It has to be the best day of the year for LD riding in the UK, hands down.
It was a pleasure to ride, no roadworks even, only the 50 section towards Birmingham from the East...and those that were out were doing a nice tidy 80+. No coppers to speak of either. Shame it's on Christmas Day, as it could be a great tradition, something I will do again, not for everyone I understand.

Btw both petrol stations in Penzance were closed with cones up, in fact so was Lowestoft, but they keep the card machines on so you can pop your card in, cancel and voila a receipt! bonus