Schuberth C3 Pro reviews...

rebelmark

Premier Member
IBA Member
Thinking of stepping up to this helmet...looking for something quieter than my current Scorpion AT-950. Any real world experience with this helmet?

Having read many glowing reviews, I made the mistake of actually trying one on at a BMW dealer.
It fit me PERFECTLY.
So I started saving my pennies.
A few months later I was at a trade show and tried one on again. Big mistake. It felt just as perfect as the first time.
So I started saving my dollars.
A year later I still didn’t have enough saved.
Good thing I have more patience for than money.
Another year later I he unthinkable happened: Schuberth authorized a price drop. I picked up a bright yellow one for nearly 40% off.

The good:
* it’s quiet. Yes, I wear foam earplugs - so I’m comparing it to other helmets I’ve worn with earplugs. Quieter than anything else I’ve worn.
* it’s not heavy. I’ve never noticed the weight, even at the end of a long day (or several days) in the saddle.
* amazing optical quality. Clear as... glass.
* no fog. Pin lock performs flawlessly
* wide vision. Self explanatory.
* good ventilation. No, it’s not a wind tunnel. It’s quiet - and still doesn’t seem hot.
* German engineering: everything works as you’d expect, from the latch on the modular face, the detents on the visor, to the chins strap buckle.

The bad:
Nothing I can find.
Unless you count never having a headache that makes you want to stop riding.
Or that creeping smile that some might interpret as smugness.

Fit First.
Everything else is included at nominal charge.

Happy hunting!

Brian Thorn

Premier Member
It looks like Schuberth has pricing restrictions on their helmets and everyone is the same price on the C4. Anyone have a preferred dealer?

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
You've got that helmet store up there in the valley still...can't recall the name.

On the GW forum, 'b206driver' works there, I think.

Brian Thorn

Premier Member
The Helmet Center, but when I had checked their website it didn't show them as carrying that brand. I can't remember the name of the shop that hosted John Ryan's book signing over in So Cal several years back, but I know they gave an IBA discount.

GO AZ carries them, as does RideNow which is right down the street from me. I think I'll hit them up tomorrow and try one on. There is a member on another forum I frequent that has a lightly used white one (I'd prefer the hi-viz color) for a good price. If it fits me, the savings would pay for the Sena communications system.

Olaf Moon

"And I think to myself...."
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Having read many glowing reviews, I made the mistake of actually trying one on at a BMW dealer.
It fit me PERFECTLY.
So I started saving my pennies.
A few months later I was at a trade show and tried one on again. Big mistake. It felt just as perfect as the first time.
So I started saving my dollars.
A year later I still didn’t have enough saved.
Good thing I have more patience for than money.
Another year later I he unthinkable happened: Schuberth authorized a price drop. I picked up a bright yellow one for nearly 40% off.

The good:
* it’s quiet. Yes, I wear foam earplugs - so I’m comparing it to other helmets I’ve worn with earplugs. Quieter than anything else I’ve worn.
* it’s not heavy. I’ve never noticed the weight, even at the end of a long day (or several days) in the saddle.
* amazing optical quality. Clear as... glass.
* no fog. Pin lock performs flawlessly
* wide vision. Self explanatory.
* good ventilation. No, it’s not a wind tunnel. It’s quiet - and still doesn’t seem hot.
* German engineering: everything works as you’d expect, from the latch on the modular face, the detents on the visor, to the chins strap buckle.

The bad:
Nothing I can find.
Unless you count never having a headache that makes you want to stop riding.
Or that creeping smile that some might interpret as smugness.

Fit First.
Everything else is included at nominal charge.

Happy hunting!
Ditto. I love this helmet. I have bought three of them over the years. One saved my life. But the starting point is that, for me, the fit is perfect.

I just went from a Shoei Neotec to a C4 with the SC1 Advanced comms system. For reference I've also had a C3 Pro and a Nolan in the recent past. I wear a large in everything, but after trying one locally, strangely I took a Med C4. I recommend trying as I had two completely different sized C3 Pro helmets, both marked Large. The C4 fits my head much better than my well broken in Neotec. Huge eyeport for great vision. That ties in with the small size of the shell. My C4 can turn completely from side to side without snagging my jacket collar at any point. Not even close to touching. Looking up, it does not touch the back pad in the jacket the way all other helmets that I've used have. In the hand, it feels no lighter than my other helmets, but in use, it feels featherweight. The pinlock is shaped along the entire faceshield, so it isn't obtrusive. Not sure that i'm ok with the loss of clarity with it in, but after one long ride, including rain, i'm not sure that i'll remove it either. I didn't think it was venting well UNTIL I felt how much rain came in the top vent with it open. There's no way that air isn't getting in as well. Next ride, i'll try without a hair/head cover. The integrated SENA system is very trick! Speakers and mic already installed. The mic is actually in the brow, in the eyeport, believe it or not. Two out of three call receivers reported their best sounding calls from me with the new helmet. One concern was the inability to recharge the SC1A while in use, however replacement batteries and USB tankbag chargers are available and will make this a non issue. Just as easy to swap batteries as to plug in a charging cable to a 20S or 30K. I used a battery for 10 hrs, recharged for 3 and used for another 8.5 hrs on my first ride, until my spare battery and charger arrives. Interestingly, the shipment is arriving from England in 2 days when it takes 3-5 days to arrive from one US state away. No boom mic to move for eating and drinking was a nice feature as well. The SC1 Advanced did have "the usual" SENA quirks that prior units I've tried have, but nothing I didn't expect. I was able to pair a GPS as mobile one, my cell to that GPS and my SM10 with radar detector as mobile 2. In all, compared to other higher end helmets, this one is worth every penny to me personally. The communication system was worth it to me only for the seamless, integrated capability. Helmet i'd give an A+ if your head shape is right. SC1 Advanced i'd give a B- for perfect integration, but mediocre to poor operation

Last edited:

Micah2074

Premier Member
I’ve been riding with a C3 pro for about a year. I like it alright. It’s quiet, well made, and comfortable. It’s also HOT. I wish I could at least get the visor to stay open in the first position but as soon as you go over about 40mph it automatically closes. Next month I’m headed across the country. Going to be in the Southwest and cross Death Valley. It’s going to be interesting to see how hot my poor old head gets.

On those rare occasions when holding the shield/visor open a bit is important, try this old (cheap) trick:

*Buy a kitchen sponge at the Dollar Store.
*cut it in 1”x2” pieces
* a 1” slit down the middle

Slip the sponge onto the the edge of the visor and close the visor to hold the sponge in place.

Experiment with the size of the sponge pieces and find what works for you.

Note: works with C3 Pro and lesser helmets.

Micah2074

Premier Member
Thanks. That something I will try.
I wish the schuberth shield would stay in the first position like my old HJC did. If it did I’d have no complaints.

Brian Thorn

Premier Member
One concern was the inability to recharge the SC1A while in use, however replacement batteries and USB tankbag chargers are available and will make this a non issue.
I couldn't figure out how the charger gets "its" power. Is it just from another USB port? I have a charger and couple of batteries on order and I'm hoping that's how it works since I have a USB port in the bike's trunk.

Brian Thorn

Premier Member
Yes, I glanced at it. I'm not a Luddite by any means, but I think I'll wait a little while and let the "bleeding edge" adopters work out the bugs on that. ;)

And yes, agreed on the costs. I've never put this much into a helmet before, but it does have a great reputation.

I’ve been riding with a C3 pro for about a year. I like it alright. It’s quiet, well made, and comfortable. It’s also HOT. I wish I could at least get the visor to stay open in the first position but as soon as you go over about 40mph it automatically closes. Next month I’m headed across the country. Going to be in the Southwest and cross Death Valley. It’s going to be interesting to see how hot my poor old head gets.
I took the face shield off and put an o ring on each side where the round shield lock assembly goes, this helped me keep the shield open at mph. Used a pretty thick o ring.

Traxx

Premier Member
I for one am not a fan of the C-3 Pro. Mine has been sitting in the closet for over a year. Its to hot, whistles, and the latching mech is not as smooth as the price suggests.

Micah2074

Premier Member
I’ll agree that it’s hot. I haven’t experienced any whistling or problems with the latch. Mine has been probably the quietest helmet I’ve owned.