Schuberth C3 pro

Ahamay

The Joker
IBA Member
For those of you who have the above helmet i have taken the plunge and bought the SRC Bluetooth collar to replace my ageing Starcom system which had been on three bikes when i got it i've had it on two and it's lost the left channel the connectors are starting to get worn so it has done well.
The system is a replacement for the draught collar and is a right b'stard to fit but with a bit of judicious finger work and patience you get there, the unit connects to the built in FM antenna at the rear there is a 3.5mm jack socket for the slim speakers that fit in the recesses each side of the helmet this also allows you to use in-ear speakers the microphone is built in to the collar.
The unit requires a three hour initial charge via the mini USB socket and the book says ten hours talk time and 100 hours on stand-by, it has an FM radio (hence the antenna) with six preset channels and switchable RDS you can also auto tune six channels on the move but they will be deleted when you switch off not sure how long the battery will last with the radio on.
There is two bluetooth channels but schuberth advise you to pair your phone with a bluetooth capable GPS as you can see what is going on the screen then pair the GPS with the unit, the second channel can be used for a bluetooth capable MP3 player bike to bike x three is available there is also voice command which looks a bit fiddly to set up.
I set all this up today in the garage very straight forward with the comprehensive manual, good quality sound on the radio and the phone works well i will see what it's like on the move tomorrow it has five buttons to control it vol+-/function first two then three in a group for on/off,radio, and other functions all buttons are separated by a prominent ridge but how easy to use with gloves on remains to be seen.
More to follow tomorrow.
PS Saphena the bike is now 'dressed' correctly:D

Ahamay

The Joker
IBA Member
Went out today for a bimble round the south coast on start up everything pairs up on Bluetooth the speakers are clear at low speeds with the earplugs in at motorway speeds could be better but i do get a fair bit of wind noise so it will be better with in ear speakers which i normally use but the 3.5mm socket for the speakers is at the rear of the helmet and i have ordered a short extension lead to plug the speakers in at the side to save fumbling around behind my head.
The radio works well and fades in favour of the GPS when it's giving instructions not sure about the RDS but there is a means to select the six strongest signals could be the best option as one frequency fades as you are moving.
The control buttons are a bit fiddly with gloves on but that will improve with practice it will be difficult with winter gloves on i made a phone call when stationary clear and works well not sure it would be as clear when moving with wind noise.
There is a complete absence of bike electrics generated noise which is nice as i never could get it down to a good level with the Starcom no matter where i routed the cables it's also good not to be faffing about with connecting the headset and not to have wiring all over the place.
Overall i am impressed but i will have to get used to how the system works i hope it proves to be reliable as it was reassuringly expensive.

Ahamay

The Joker
IBA Member
Just had four days in Scotland based at Ullapool weather good midges kept a low profile getting used to the control buttons the FM radio works well if you get a good strong signal I.E R4,R2,R1 and local stations it can be a bit fiddly finding stations perhaps the built in antenna could be better.
The phone is a bluetooth connection via the GPS then to the headset it all connects on start up and sound quality is good on the move now i am using the in ear speakers
It will need charging after a days ride if you have the minimum switched on just the GPS connection it should last 24 hours?? I am not sure if you can charge via a USB port when it's in use.
Overall it's an impressive bit of kit.

Megabuck

IBAUK Verifier
IBA Member
Hi John,

How's the C3 Pro as a helmet? I've currently got an S2, and I'm looking to replace it. Do you think the premium over the basic C3 is worth it?

Recently invested in an Interphone F5MC - otherwise I'd probably go for the 'reassuringly expensive' SRC. I had to get the F5MC modified to work with my in-ear speakers; it works very well and sound quality is very good. Main issue is that, for some recording (MP3s played on BMW Navigator V) the sound doesn't go quite as quiet as I'd like!

Regards,
Martin

Ahamay

The Joker
IBA Member
Hello Martin
The C3 pro is an improvement over the basic helmet they have cured the faults I.E visor seals leaking and the visor opening detent mechanism being too weak to hold the the visor up on the move, good ventilation worth the money.
John

I also ride with a C3Pro for 2 years, and regret the day I bought it.
It is noisy, and a crappy quality. The closing of the jar is very tight, and demands both hands, and the viser is always getting loose and can't stay open.
I used to ride with a Shoei and that had a much better quality, but I found the visor to be to close to my face, but it was easy to close, and it's visor always stayed where I left it.
The Schubert has been in for service several times, and has never gotten back better.

flyingrasb

Premier Member
hi John,

Just doing a bit of catching up on the forum as I haven't been on for ages. I too have the C3 pro with collar radio. Have been very pleased with it, only comments against, the helmet is heavy and I find it impossible to play with the collar buttons whilst on the move.

GSears

Dambuster... Bouncing panniers...
Premier Member
IBA Member
I use the SENA U10 which is reverse engineered to fit in a C3. Sound quality is good with the speakers provided (motorway speeds on a GSA) As well as the two button controls on the left side of the visor opening it comes with a Bluetooth handlebar remote. Its about £200 against £250-300 for the SRC

Ahamay

The Joker
IBA Member
hi John,

Just doing a bit of catching up on the forum as I haven't been on for ages. I too have the C3 pro with collar radio. Have been very pleased with it, only comments against, the helmet is heavy and I find it impossible to play with the collar buttons whilst on the move.
I have found that the collar buttons difficult but usable with practice you have to pick your moment to operate the unit to give yourself time to feel the buttons
I have bluetooth the phone via the GPS then to the SRC it would be a good idea if SRC produced a handlebar remote that can be powered off the bike that connected via the 2nd bluetooth channel that would make life easier.
Now i am on a roll does anyone know if one of these external phone power packs is compatible with the charging socket?

GSears

Dambuster... Bouncing panniers...
Premier Member
IBA Member
The new power pack Dave has in the store would probably work. The Sena charges OK from a phone pack.

As an aside you can also update the settings for the SENA from an android phone via an app.

FJRPilot

Brit Butt Rallymaster RBLR1000 routemaster
Premier Member
IBA Member
Although I don't have a C3 I have the Cardo Sho-1 fitted to my Shoei Neotec. The radio reception isn't that great sometimes but it does have a removeable battery so I can carry a spare then swap them round to recharge one of them.

It too comes with an android phone app so I can adjust the settings or set the radio frequencies remotely. :)