Scott's 2017 100 CCC

Scott Parish

Premier Member
The decision to attempt a 100 CCC came shortly after completing a BBG last year (Sep 2016). I read previous reports from finishers and evaluated what changes my current bike (Kawasaki Concours) would require. While it is very doable to complete in stock form; I knew I wanted to go even further if successful with a 100 CCC. With that in mind; I determined at a minimum, I would need to add ancillary lights and a fuel cell. After much consideration; factoring age and millage on the Connie – I decided (with encouragement from my wife) a new bike would make the most sense.

My wife and I like to camp during bike trips and get off paved roads as much as possible. The choice of bikes was narrowed down to two i.e. KTM Super Adventure or BMW R1200 GSA. I loved the KTM the first minute I threw a leg over and took for a test ride. The SA is narrow and nimble with acceleration nearly comparable to a sport bike. My only reservation with the SA is the 2016 is the second year of a new model. Based on my previous experiences; manufactures often make significant changes on the third year of a new model introduction. Since I was looking in late 2016; I was hoping to snag a new 2017. Unfortunately, there was no word regarding when the 2017 model would be available. I contacted several dealers in California and was told they were not even sure if they would receive 2017 models during the 2017 calendar year. After two months I decided to get to go with the BMW; and since the model design for the Adventure was basically unchanged for several years; I was comfortable picking up a hold-over 2016 model in January 2017 as the dealer was able to provide some compelling incentives to make room for 2017 models currently on-hand. Also – the after-market accessories available for the BMW is extensive which ensures hours of internet surfing and a long farkle list.

The ride – living in San Diego, Ca; the obvious destination is Jacksonville Beach, Fl. This is probably one of the least challenging ride routes (Interstate 8, 10, 12, 10, 95 – reverse) to plan aside from waypoints/gas stops. I still prefer trip planning in Google and exporting to my Garmin GPS. I really should commit to becoming more comfortable with Base Camp; but I’m slow to change. The timing was determined by life commitments. I just completed the San Diego Sheriff’s Department Search and Rescue Academy and have some big projects coming up at work plus a planned Rally ride in August – so the time was mid-May or wait until fall.

upload_2017-5-25_14-2-58.png

Departure time was calculated working backward from desired arrival time in Jacksonville (preferably in the afternoon so check-in to a Hotel would not be an issue and getting through major urban areas (San Antonio & Houston) during off-peak hours. Therefore 0230 was scheduled on Wednesday May 17th with the specific starting location a gas station in Ocean Beach (approximately 25 miles from my residence). I planned to leave work early on Tuesday May 16th to get a little sleep before getting up at 0030 to prep and leave the house by 0130. I did get home early; but I was too hyped to get any sleep – so I just tried to rest until midnight.
upload_2017-5-25_14-3-43.png

I departed the house a little earlier than planned to get a picture near the ocean prior to pulling the first receipt. Not surprising for a beach community; there were plenty of people around when I pulled in to the pier parking lot. I snapped a picture of the bike with the Pacific Ocean behind; but of course at 0200 – the water appears quite black. The gas station was only a couple blocks away. While I was filling the tank, the clerk came out and inquired if I was one of those coast to coast riders. I told him I hoped to be; and if all went as planned; I would be back on Saturday.

upload_2017-5-25_14-4-31.png

The weather leaving San Diego was perfect – upper 60’s and clear. Laguna pass can either be mild or extremely windy. Evidently, I decided to leave on a windy day. Getting into rhythm leaving San Diego – my pace was a steady 70 mph heading east on Interstate 8. Not long after passing Alpine; the ceiling/cloud coverage dropped dramatically and I went from upper 60’s and mild to low 50’s with approximately 10 feet of visibility. I pulled over and added a fleece jacket and glove liners. Once I cleared the summit, visibility improved significantly because now I was on the windy side. The wind through this area can be as bad as anywhere in the country. Gusts come unexpectedly from all different directions. It is more like a boxing match as you get jabbed a couple times in the nose followed by a right cross and upper cut coming out of nowhere. After 30 minutes of getting beat up with a death grip on the bars – I finally dropped down to the desert.

The first couple of gas stops (Wellton and Tucson, AZ) were uneventful and went smoothly. The miles were clicking by quickly as they seem to do on early mornings at the beginning of a ride. By the time I stopped in Las Cruces for my third fuel stop – it was heating up and time to take some layers off. Shortly after leaving Las Cruces you cross in Texas. The positive aspects of Texas is the speed limit in West Texas is 80 mph and once you get through Texas – the ride is almost done. Unfortunately, despite the increased speed limit – it still feels like it takes forever to cross.

Staying on time with my ride plan ensured I went through San Antonio and Houston during late hours with lighter traffic. As I neared 24 hours and almost across Texas, I passed a Dunkin Donuts sign and became obsessed with needing a cup of coffee and a glazed donut. Unfortunately, when the exit came up; there was major construction and detours going on so I decided to skip. A few miles further near a scheduled gas stop I noticed a Waffle House where I could get eggs and grits and provide me the opportunity to document completion of a BBG (1500 miles less than 24 hours).

upload_2017-5-25_14-5-10.png

I felt rejuvenated after filling my gas tank and belly. However, it didn’t hold off exhaustion too long. Approximately 125 miles later as I was entering Port Charles, LA, I found myself getting very tired and was now in early morning commute traffic. Everything around me seemed to be happening faster than I could process. The more I tried to concentrate – the harder it became, so I took an exit to top off my tank and pulled over to the side of the food mart to rest. I looked around carefully to ensure I was not in a bug invested area; but it is Louisiana after all. I laid down on the ground next to my bike and quickly drifted off to sleep. I woke up 30 minutes later covered by ants biting the heck out of my hands. Evidently, my sweaty, smelly self – made for excellent ant bait. I have never been one for power napping because it generally only make me more tired. However, after shaking all the ants off; I felt surprisingly better. It might have helped that it was now light out. Regardless – I had another cup of coffee and was once again on my away.

upload_2017-5-25_14-6-6.png

I have always enjoyed the segment of interstate 10 between Louisiana and Florida. Great scenery, but the drivers can be quite aggressive with so much congestion on a two lane interstate. I prefer going through Baton Rouge over New Orleans so I took the I-12 loop. All-in-all, I felt like I was making good time even though the miles seemed to take longer and longer to bank. As I entered Florida I got a taste of weather with a heavy rain cell. The night before I encountered only light rain intermittently through San Antonio and Houston; but this was the real thing. Fortunately, I had stopped just in time to close all the vents on my jacket – so I stayed relatively dry. The major issue I did not expect was the lack of visibility because my helmet visor was not clearing the water at all; and when I wiped the visor with my glove – it made it even worse. This was the first time I had worn this helmet (Scorpion EXO AT950) in the rain and have never had this issue before. I have always worn Shoei helmets which required me to only turn my head side-to-side for air to push beaded water, or wipe with my glove during heavy periods. I’m not sure if the design with the sun visor creates some sort of vortex or air pocket which impacts the ability of water to clear the shield or if I maybe I had wiped the visor with a micro fiber cloth with polish on it which may have reduced the performance of the visor. I was thinking of using rain-x wipes to see if that helps in the future (any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated). I have reached out to the manufacture for feedback as well.

upload_2017-5-25_14-8-50.png upload_2017-5-25_14-9-1.png

I arrived to Jacksonville Beach Thursday afternoon/evening at 1730 PST (2030 local EST) approximately 39 hours after my departure from Ocean Beach in San Diego. Considering the lack of sleep the evening before leaving – I had been awake since 0400 on Tuesday morning (approximately 61 hours aside from a 30 minute nap). I was happy it was still light enough to ride down near the water and take a couple of pictures. I would have loved to savor the moment longer; but wanted to secure a room as I had not made any reservations to avoid deadlines. Fortunately, I was able to get a room at a nearby Hampton Inn and grab a hamburger to carry up to my room. The first order of business was getting out of my riding gear which was heavy with sweat and not smelling too well either. Everything went inside out and was draped near the air conditioner turned on blast. After a shower, I sat down to eat my burger and talk with my wife. While on the phone with her I thought about taking a different route home; but was too tired to give it much thought. By the time I was off the phone – it was nearly 11PM local. I checked on my gear; everything seemed to be drying well and I repacked my tank bag and made sure everything was ready for the morning. I set the clock for 4AM local (0100 PST).

The alarm went off before I knew it; but the 4-5 hours of sleep felt great. By 5AM local (0200 PST) I was back at the same gas station I checked in the previous afternoon to top off the tank and head back. Since it was Friday morning; I didn’t want to get caught in heavy morning traffic leaving Jacksonville. The timing was perfect as it was not too heavy and moving fast with another 39-40 hours of riding ahead of me.

It seemed to not take long before I was back in Texas. I was a little worried about my timing going through Houston; therefore, so I added 5-10 minutes to couple of gas stops leading up to ensure I would miss the heavy Friday afternoon traffic. Even with light rain, traffic was moving well. I cleared Houston and was comfortable knowing I would pass through San Antonio later with even less traffic.

As I was heading west I could see the clouds getting heavier and heavier. After going through San Antonio, lightening could clearly be seen on the horizon with more frequency. I stopped for gas in Junction, TX around midnight local (2200 PST). I had been riding 20 hours and thought a cup of coffee would hit the spot and give me an opportunity to check the weather. I was sitting outside with my coffee as several cars came in. The drivers were getting out reporting heavy rain, hail and tornados on the ground north of Junction. My weather app showed an enormous storm heading in a south-easterly direction. By going west – my intended direction; I should bypass the heaviest parts of the storm. Another option was to stay where I was – it appeared the leading edge of the storm was about 30 minutes away. This is where a bit of exhaustion can create questionable decision making – I went back to the bike and retrieved my hygiene kit. After brushing my teeth, closed all the vents on my riding suite; put a neck gaiter on; and declared myself good-to-go. Despite a text from my wife to stay in place – I headed out. I was feeling good about the decision for approximately 10 miles when I found myself enveloped by the storm. The rain drops were so big and coming down with such force I couldn’t tell if it also included small hail ice balls. The big-rig truck I was following quickly disappeared in the distance as I dropped my speed to around 20mph. The lightening was the kind that lit up the entire landscape. Rather than bolts; it seemed to be everywhere. I was most concerned with the lightening and wind, so I was glad to spot an overpass coming up. Unfortunately, as I approached the overpass; I could see it was packed with cars parked underneath with no chance of me squeezing in. The same was true for the next 3 overpasses. After the third, I resigned myself to not stopping. Actually, irritated would be a better description. I realized I made the wrong decision to ride out; but was fully committed and felt the fastest way was to continue riding through the storm - as the last time I checked the weather Doppler; I was only going through an edge. Well, the edge was pretty big (it is Texas after all and everything is bigger) and it took me about 4 hours to cover the 200 miles to Fort Stockton; but thankfully, I was clear of the storm. After a cup of coffee and a few text messages with my wife that I was okay; I headed out determined to be in New Mexico before dawn.

Once through Texas – the miles and states seem to come and go much quicker. I arrived in Tucson around 1030 PST and the heat was picking up. I opened up all my vents again, and removed the extra layers I was wearing from the previous night. Traffic was light on Saturday morning and I was looking forward to getting off I-10 and on I-8 where there was even less traffic. I love the desert; and this stretch on a weekend can feel like you have it all to yourself. From the I-10/I-8 junction to Wellton, I saw less than 10 cars. From Wellton the heat really turns up through Yuma and El Centro; but thankfully decreased as I rode over the pass. I was pleasantly surprised to find hardly any wind going over Laguna. It was hard to avoid increasing speed as I neared San Diego and wanted off the bike as the seat was beginning to feel like a medieval torture device. I questioned my timing riding into Ocean Beach as it was Saturday afternoon/evening and was packed with party goers. Any other time; I would have gladly joined in. I managed to gas up and pull my last receipt from the same pump I departed from on Wednesday. My return trip took 40 hours; bringing my total trip time to 88 hours and 3 minutes from coast-to-coast-to-coast.

upload_2017-5-25_14-9-39.png upload_2017-5-25_14-10-31.png

I drove down to the water for another look at the Pacific Ocean (this time while the sun was still out) and headed home where my wife was waiting on me. As soon as I got home; the riding gear went into the washing machine and the bike got a bath. Once the bike and gear was sorted and taken care of; a much needed shower, dinner, and bed awaited me.

upload_2017-5-25_14-11-40.png

I’m really glad I completed this ride and further tested my limits. The bike performed flawlessly; except for an exceptionally hard seat which actually produced blister/abrasions on my inner crotch area (lose riding pants may have contributed as well rubbing against my base layers). Mentally and physically; I felt really good. I definitely could have utilized my time better and rested more often during the trip considering I left 12 hours on the clock. The process of taking pictures of gas receipts and emailing along the way should reduce certification time; but it definitely added about 5 minutes to each of my gas stops as it was an unfamiliar process and added extra steps. Looking forward to the next trip.

Cheers,

Scott

BMWguy

IBA Member
The positive aspects of Texas is the speed limit in West Texas is 80 mph and once you get through Texas – the ride is almost done. Unfortunately, despite the increased speed limit – it still feels like it takes forever to cross.
Man - I can relate to "it still feels like it takes forever to cross"... LOL!

Mike

Tele

Premier Member
Brilliant effort Scott under some challenging circumstances. That is one heck of a ride and you should be very proud of your achievement. Well done mate!

Fatman

Must be a bit slow down below here to catch up on this ride report.

What a great read Scott I really enjoyed your descriptive words, it put me on the ride with you so to speak.

Congratulations on your 100CC, glad you succeeded. I bet you slept well afterwards.

Thanks

Edited.. fixed spelling error.

Last edited: